Tether or not tether

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being tethered to someone while drifting in a strong current, over a rough bottom that may well snag the tether is a recipe for problems.

A far more practical solution is stressing the need for a side to side, very close buddy position and actively watching each other, with an emphasis on NOT having a situation where the weak diver gets caught on something up current and the "strong" diver can not navigate up current to provide assistance.

The OP wants to know about tethering himself to his wife, which It seems we all agree is a bad idea. You responded that in ice diving there is a tether. I replied that the ice-diving tether is mainly to the surface, only incidentally to each other. That's all.
Well there are many instances where it is advised to be tethered. Even the navy divers do that.

Well there are many instances where it is advised to be tethered. Even the navy divers do that.
this is an interesting topic. can you pls share some links where using a tether (in the navy or otherwise) is discussed? i would love to read more on this. thx

In the eighties I and my wife worked for 4 years at Maldives as indttuctors and divemasters.
At the time there were no limits. Our tour operator allowed max depth 50 meters with deco, in air.

So, some dives were deep, long and in reef channels ("kandu" in Divehi, the local language), where currents can be really strong.
We never allowed our customers to use any kind of tether among them.
However we did allow to use reef hooks, which were used to get a grip on the edge of the channel.
Another type of dives was along inner reefs where the current flows in a sort of river.
In this case it was a drift dive, it was not allowed to get a grip on the reef, nor to swim against current.
We had simply to let the current carry the group of divers, watching the wonderful corals while traveling without effort thanks to the current.
My recommendations for your wife are based in my wife's experience (she also is a "natural").
Here is how she did dive, after experimenting various setups:
1) long freediving fins with full feet pockets and thin neoprene socks - proper flutter kicking without flexing the knees, same style as deep freedivers. Forget frog kicking, in those currents it becomes exhausting and not effective.
Preferred fins for my wife were Cressi Rondine Gara.
2) Very minimal and streamlined body protection: often she was wearing just an olympic-style swimming suit, sometimes a shorty 3mm neoprene suit. Never a full suit. No BCD (at the time it was not mandatory). Today it is mandatory, but I suggest a minimal-size rear-inflating BCD or a very small wing with a light backplate and nothing attached to it.
3) if you get steel tanks, probably she will not need any weights.
4) keep nothing dangling around: second air source should be strapped to the harness or with an elastic collar, better to avoid a traditional SPG and use an air-integrated computer. My wife also had a velcro strap keeping her power inflator attached to the harness.
After a couple of weeks of adapatation, my wife started to love strong currents!
We both struggled at the beginning due to using wrong equipment and propulsion, carrying with us too many things and not being properly streamlined.
Channels in Maldives is a typical environment where the phrase "less is more" becomes true.

this is an interesting topic. can you pls share some links where using a tether (in the navy or otherwise) is discussed? i would love to read more on this. thx
I don’t have the time right now but I remember that it is called buddy line.

Does she want to be leashed to you? I can’t think of a single dive when i wished i was tethered to my buddy. (I will never ice dive.) Being underwater is a great equalizer in abilities between genders. Just have her lead so you can always have eyes on her, and you aren’t constantly looking back for her. And she gains experience and confidence as your buddy.

Back
Top Bottom