"Term limits" on certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCDiver1:
I know you said "if" Mike but i can't believe what just came out of your keyboard. Your issues with agencies and manufacturers are well known but good god man, you would have your Reps & Senators dictating scuba rules?

And who do you think the biggest lobby groups for the dive industry would be?

The "if" is a very important word in my statement. What I can tell you is that an instructor for an agency I was unable to have any say. As a mere diver all is certainly lost. With government, at least in theory, I am a part of the process.

My position is of course, that the agency should do a good job of training and then divers should be responsible for using their good training in conjunction with good judgement in their own diving.

After some experience with the agencis, average divers off the street and the industry in general I stick to my guns that the problem is that many divers never learn to dive in the first place so it's not possible to make certain that they "still" know how. Divers aren't required to be in good physical condition to start with so there's no sense in going back to check up on their medical status.

In the case of GUE's system, I understand the intent and the message it means to convey but I do not believe that their expireing certifications add any safety value at all. Sending in log pages to document dives says nothing about how the dives were done and each and every one may have been a clustered, barely made it back alive afair...or the log could just be faked. The only meaningful recertification would be an actaul in-water test but they don't do that do they?

Let me also say that I think a lot of what GUE has done in training. Since MHK is in the thread I'll mention that I've seen him teach and I think he's a very talented instructor. If I were in the larket for such I would certainly consider taking a class from an MHK or JJ. Maybe some kind of cave class or workshop just to improve. They could keep their card. I already have one and theirs is useless because they maintain ownership and it evaporates in 3 years if I don't jump through their hoops. My point being that while I might buy training, they can stick their cards in their own wallet. LOL

In reality, here's the way the dive industry really works. Customer calls or comes into the dive shop and says "I'm vacationing in the islands this year and I want to try diving. I hear that you need to be certified." I say "yes". They ask how much it costs and how long it takes pointing out that they already spent too much on the trip and they don't have much time. They will then shop for the cheapest class with the most convenient schedule. They NEVER ask about the training. Their ONLY intent is to purchase access and they will pay whether the training is any good or not because they get the access. They only need to consider price and convenience because all classes result in the same access. So...shops are under the gun to do it ever faster and cheaper. This is why there are so many lousy divers in the water and why every accident we read about or see is the same old stupid crap that virtually should never happen. Renewing these access permits would serve no purpose other than creating another fee for the diver to pay. Just no sense in talking recertification until some one fixes it so that initial certification has some meaning.

And just what are the chances that a person will forget how to kneel? The things they get rusty on are the things that aren't taught in the first place...reference the DAN numbers on buoyancy control problems on dives that result in injury. Look at how often buddy seperations are involved (almost 100% There's almost NEVER an eye witness). Why? it's hard to stay with a buddy when you can't control your position in the water. The fact that divers are never asked to conduct a dive with a buddy during training makes it even worse (they just spend a few minutes following the instructor in a pack during training). The fact is that a decent diver can go a good long time without diving and it'll be just like they'd never been away. We're not seeing problems because divers forgot...they never knew.

So again I ask...recertify what? That a diver can still kneel and clear their mask? Leave it flooded. Who cares?

But yes. Before I would have the agencies shove this kind of nonsense down my throat I would want government involved. Where else could you turn?

Make it two years like CPR cards. Renewal of certifications would be based on a core questions and skills demonstration. Charge $25 for recerts and folks really don't have anything to complain about. :)

MikeFerrara:
So you want regulation but don't want it to be government? If the sport is going to be regulated I want it to be government. At least then I get to vote. The idiot agencies don't let me do that.

Mike,

I think you are misunderstanding what I said, or perhaps I said it poorly, but I thought you knew me better then that. I'm not suggesting that if the govt. got involved that it would actually make it safer, what I'm saying is that politicians love to bloviate, and love to believe that most of the idiotic bureacratic nonsense they dream up actually saves lives. This gives the a cause to grandstand and hold press conferences, so unless we stay out of the papers and below the radar screen it will just be a matter of time before some earger beaver politician needs a cause celeb and dreams up ideas that help us save us from ourselves, and should that happen, I think we all agree that whatever S & P's the govt. invents will be total nonsense. In the last 3 years alone out here in SoCal we have averaged over one fatality a month, and then of course the Drifting Dan fiasco, wherein he was left at the site and floated for about 6 hours before the boy scouts saved him. This, of course, made the national news and now this guy is suing for millions claiming that he got skin cancer during the 6 hours. We're getting a fair amount of adverse attention out here so naturally I get concerned about not if, but when, some politician looking for an excuse to get in front of a microphone will take up the cause.. I'm not suggesting government intervention as much as I'm warning against it..

Regards

It's simple get certified, go diving, take a few courses, become a better diver.

I really don't think we need governing bodies of training agencies creating an interagency task force to determine the feasability of instituting a policy for continuing education of intermittent practioners of the sport that facilitates a minimal standard of performance that reinforces their initial experience with the agency.

:book3: Logbooks-Stamps verifying that you went diving that day to some authority, in order to insure compliance with its rules, so you can get fills, give me a break. I'd rather buy a compressor. Diving is about freedom, not keeping paperwork and bureaucratic organizational BS.

I have a C card, I get a fill, that's all I need.

CBulla:
Make it two years like CPR cards. Renewal of certifications would be based on a core questions and skills demonstration. Charge $25 for recerts and folks really don't have anything to complain about. :)
Damn, you stole my idea. It hit me last night. The biggest obstacle to VOLUNTARY recertification is the cost. My LDS charges $75 ($25 for pool time, $50 for instructor) for a refresher course (one classroom session plus one pool session) PLUS buying the "Refresher workbook" for $14. That is $89 dollars, which may not be a bad deal if the quality is good enough. I do think that bringing this in for under $50 and ADVERTISING IT HEAVILY (with a course outline so people can see what will be covered) would encourage people who have not been diving to at least have one pool session to brush up on skills, and one classroom session to learn the new ideas on gas management, etc. I know that after I took 6 years off of diving, I would have gone to this type of course IF I HAD KNOWN ABOUT IT. I honestly think the biggest obstacle to people voluntarily taking such a refresher is simply lack of knowledge.

MHK:
So just so we are clear about this, no one at GUE, or in the DIR camp, cares how anyone else in the world dives. ...
Regards

By Dan Voker on the GUE Site "And of course, keep in mind an even bigger rule than all others mentioned in this article--Rule number one is don't dive with unsafe divers. Try to dive only with people you know are safe, and who dive the same procedures and configurations you do. If you are "stuck" with someone you see gearing up badly, with a poor configuration, try a good natured explanation of why the "Doing it Right" system would have him/her configured differently. Perhaps you can get them safer on this dive. You can always look around on a boat for someone who seems closer to your gear and diving mind set, and try to buddy up with them."

In a recent interview with Jablonski, he states:

"The name DIR implies that there is ONE way to do things and that those not pursuing this direction are, by default, doing it wrong! DIR was not crafted as an insult; yet, this identity of correctness motivates the continual effort toward perfection by creating an ethos of excellence.

Compounding this tension over nomenclature is the fact that several of DIR’s most vocal proponents are rigid and unflinching in their criticism of other diving practices."

MHK, I too do not wish to go into back and forth on the DIR versus the world issue. Further, I don't think I ever accussed you or any DIR diver of being "...elitist, arrogant, snobs, or even zealots."

To quote Jablonski in a recent interview "Having said all of that, one can still make significant strides toward improving their diving by incorporating many DIR concepts into their own diving in a wide variety of arenas." SOMETHING I BELIEVE IN.

CBulla:

Except the $25 and the lifelong dependance on the agency.

I have a better idea. Pitch in with some buddies and buy a compressor, buy or rent/hire boats, call it a club if you want. Then go dive as you please and pretend the agencies didn't exist.

MikeFerrara:
Except the $25 and the lifelong dependance on the agency.

I have a better idea. Pitch in with some buddies and buy a compressor, buy or rent/hire boats, call it a club if you want. Then go dive as you please and pretend the agencies didn't exist.

Hey Mike, that would be called a "PADI Five Star Resort".... :D

MHK:
Mike,

I think you are misunderstanding what I said, or perhaps I said it poorly, but I thought you knew me better then that. I'm not suggesting that if the govt. got involved that it would actually make it safer, what I'm saying is that politicians love to bloviate, and love to believe that most of the idiotic bureacratic nonsense they dream up actually saves lives. This gives the a cause to grandstand and hold press conferences, so unless we stay out of the papers and below the radar screen it will just be a matter of time before some earger beaver politician needs a cause celeb and dreams up ideas that help us save us from ourselves, and should that happen, I think we all agree that whatever S & P's the govt. invents will be total nonsense. In the last 3 years alone out here in SoCal we have averaged over one fatality a month, and then of course the Drifting Dan fiasco, wherein he was left at the site and floated for about 6 hours before the boy scouts saved him. This, of course, made the national news and now this guy is suing for millions claiming that he got skin cancer during the 6 hours. We're getting a fair amount of adverse attention out here so naturally I get concerned about not if, but when, some politician looking for an excuse to get in front of a microphone will take up the cause.. I'm not suggesting government intervention as much as I'm warning against it..

Regards

I understood what you said. My point was that I'm not so sure that agency regulation is better than government regulation.

I'm for forcing the agencies totally out of any regulatory role limiting their activities to selling training. The school I went to has no say in what kind of work I do, how or when and I sure don't see any reason why I would be willing to be subjected to the will of some training agency for as long as I live just because I once took a class from an instructor who taught their course. I'll bet I wouldn't even be asked to vote.

jakubson:
Damn, you stole my idea. It hit me last night. The biggest obstacle to VOLUNTARY recertification is the cost. My LDS charges $75 ($25 for pool time, $50 for instructor) for a refresher course (one classroom session plus one pool session) PLUS buying the "Refresher workbook" for $14. That is $89 dollars, which may not be a bad deal if the quality is good enough. I do think that bringing this in for under $50 and ADVERTISING IT HEAVILY (with a course outline so people can see what will be covered) would encourage people who have not been diving to at least have one pool session to brush up on skills, and one classroom session to learn the new ideas on gas management, etc. I know that after I took 6 years off of diving, I would have gone to this type of course IF I HAD KNOWN ABOUT IT. I honestly think the biggest obstacle to people voluntarily taking such a refresher is simply lack of knowledge.

There's another obstical that I mentioned earlier. What level would you have people recertify to? It's simple if a diver has an OW cert from a single agency but what about folks who have piles of certs from a multitude of agencies? Would you have them pay a bunch of money and show up someplace to demonstrate that they can clear a mask?LOL

Back
Top Bottom