Ten Foot/3 Metre Stops in Heavy Swells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that if your already out there (liveaboard?) you might dive in conditions that you would not normally and have conditions different than when you went in .. sorry

I thought that if your already out there (liveaboard?) you might have conditions different than when you went in .. sorry

How long was your dive? Swells are driven by weather 1,000s of miles away. They take hours to days to establish and hours to days to break down. Day charter or liveaboard, both should have the wisdom to drop you at divable places, not where the swell will be dangerous on ascent. Granted if you do a mid-water drop and try to ascend up a wall or beach conditions can change, but you can partially mitigate those changes by moving back into deeper water.

Conditions off the NC coast can change in a heartbeat...

Waves are not swells.

I wish someone would tell that to CDIP/UCSD so they could update their "wave height forecast" model.

4 to 6ft waves ... 4 to 6ft swells ... does that make any real difference when your doing your last or safety stop?
How do you handle them differently?

I wish someone would tell that to CDIP/UCSD so they could update their "wave height forecast" model.

Depends on the purpose of the model. If you're a boat on top of the water you really care about waves. If you are a diver 20 or 30ft down local wind waves aren't revelant, you care about the deeper swell which is a much larger portion of the water column moving up and down.

Here in Puget Sound proper we have wind waves and they can actually get pretty serious because given enough wind the short fetch creates steep waves close together. Sucks for boating but isn't all that relevant to divers doing deco.

In even larger bodies of water (but still non-ocean) you start getting seiches which are basically water piling up along a shore.

Lastly if you get a big enough body of water you can have locally calm conditions but huge breaking swells driven by distant weather. Google "Banzai Pipeline" in Hawaii and that's a breaking swell generated in Alaska that comes ashore there.

I see, waves may not disturb the water column for any depth .. but, your still having 6ft of water added to your depth, then taken away .. do you do a deeper stop?

4 to 6ft waves ... 4 to 6ft swells ... does that make any real difference when your doing your last or safety stop?
How do you handle them differently?

Local wind waves will be so close together they aren't gonna be very relevant to a diver on deco.

A 4 to 6ft swell is fairly minor. Ask the skippers of the Monterey boats what the swells are on any given day and they'll help you get a better understanding. 10-12ft is still quite divable if they are slow and far enough apart. You just ride em up and down (underneath).

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom