Ten Foot/3 Metre Stops in Heavy Swells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see, waves may not disturb the water column for any depth .. but, your still having 6ft of water added to your depth, then taken away .. do you do a deeper stop?

6ft wind waves would be pretty awful for the boat. And really hard to even gear up in (e.g. talk and get squared away on the surface). They'd be breaking over your head.

6ft swell alone would typically be downright comfy

...Well let's see what I actually have done in that situation...oh, I know, I shot a bag and did a floating deco and either the main boat followed or the mate got in the chase boat and followed. Or when we knew that the conditions were not favourable enough for a floating deco and the scenario was quite likely to happen we called the dive before we left the dock....
Ok you win. The DIR answer to diving in current anywhere where the viz on the surface may go to pot during the dive and or where you may be up current of a shipping lane is to just call the dive at the dock and not dive.

That would explain why all the Atlantic wreck divers from about Virginia Beach northward are all non DIR divers. Which is of course stupid to even say.

You are defeating your own argument that DIR can be applied anywhere. My brand of DIR can handle those conditions, so what exactly is wrong with yours?

Good grief. People know when fog is dicey, they know when swells are significant, swells are coming in from 1000s of kilometers away from well established weather systems afterall. There is internet access to offshore buoy data to track know all this stuff and more. We have the best stinkin' meterological services in the world now and you can get the data via email, cell, SSB, or weatherfax from anywhere for anywhere. If your charter skipper is that novice, build your common experience base on easier sites.

I've seen dense fog appear from absolutely nothing in coastal areas of Maine. I doubt that it is entirely predictable. Also in tropical areas, you can have a squal build up very quickly and move very fast. If you dive often enough, and dive whenever you can, sooner or later you will get caught in some rough conditions.

... all of which are vastly superior to deploying a $10 jon line :shakehead:
Seriously, so why the hell are you trolling in the DIR forum?

Netdoc, why even have no-trolling forums if they aren't going to be enforced? Maybe you should unsticky Uncle Pugs message at the top of the forum, better to have no rules than have rules that aren't evenly enforced (or enforced at all)...

You aren't looking for the DIR answer to anything, you are just trolling for an argument.

Wouldn't you be happier in the Jersey Wreck Divers forum?

You aren't looking for the DIR answer to anything, you are just trolling for an argument.

Wouldn't you be happier in the Jersey Wreck Divers forum?

Definitely not. I really am looking for the DIR answer. As I have said repeatedly that I am happy to debate the merits/drawbacks of each approach. What concerns me is that nobody can seem to articulate exactly "what" the DIR answer is and "why" it is better than what has been considered the standard among wreck divers. Instead, you get a lot of deflection like your post above.

Definitely not. I really am looking for the DIR answer. As I have said repeatedly that I am happy to debate the merits/drawbacks of each approach. What concerns me is that nobody can seem to articulate exactly "what" the DIR answer is and "why" it is better than what has been considered the standard among wreck divers. Instead, you get a lot of deflection like your post above.

Use a spool.

There...that was easy.

That one was already covered, and we haven't discussed the why? Or how this is any better than a jon line. Or why some of the resident DIR experts have jetisoned the notion of using a jon line (or spool or whatever) because it bounces you around too much during deco. Anyone?

and we haven't discussed the why?
Why not? (use it...that is) It works.

Or how this is any better than a jon line.
Who said that it was better? or that it needed to be better? Its just different.

You can take a specialized piece of equipment to do a task or something that can do a few things.

It might not be better than the specialized piece of equipment...but if it does the trick. One less thing to worry about.

6 of one...half a dozen of the other. Neither is wrong...just different.

Or why some of the resident DIR experts have jetisoned the notion of using a jon line (or spool or whatever) because it bounces you around too much during deco. Anyone?
I can't answer for everyone...plus they are strokes with cool gear anyways. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom