temp based thickness guide??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetnorm

Registered
Reaction score
Help!! Does anyone remember seeing a table of recommended w/s thickness versus water temp? I have searched archives to no avail.

Going soon to Cocos Island 9/30-10/5 with temp range 75-82, and rarely 67-70, according to posts. Plan four dives a day.

I have a 3mm jumpsuit (with a 3mm shorty, hood and gloves) I have used in the winter in the Keys when water 72-74 F.

Should this be good? Any strong recommendations for more rubber?

Thanks
Wetnorm

you don't really see charts like that, because it varies so much from person to person, number and length of dives, whatever.

Damselfish:
you don't really see charts like that, because it varies so much from person to person, number and length of dives, whatever.

There was once a manufacture's site, I believe, that did incorporate a temp range reflecting human variability that I thought useful, however.

wetnorm:
Help!! Does anyone remember seeing a table of recommended w/s thickness versus water temp? I have searched archives to no avail.

Going soon to Cocos Island 9/30-10/5 with temp range 75-82, and rarely 67-70, according to posts. Plan four dives a day.

I have a 3mm jumpsuit (with a 3mm shorty, hood and gloves) I have used in the winter in the Keys when water 72-74 F.

Should this be good? Any strong recommendations for more rubber?

Thanks
Wetnorm

3mm for me in that temp range is plenty. I think a 5mm would be too much

Yes, all the above variables are true. However, when I got certified my LDS gave us a sheet with recommendations for 'average body type and average suseptability to cold':

85+ -> skinsuit

78 - 85 -> 1/8" (3mm) jumpsuit

70 - 78 -> 3/16" (4-5mm) jumpsuit

55 - 70 -> 1/4" (6.5 - 7mm) john/jacket

below 55 -> Drysuit + Underwear

All temps in F.

When the temps drop around here below 80* I start thinking about a 5mil full suit :wink: So it's really dependent upon personal preference (and I have a goodly amount of natural insulation :wink: )

Aloha, Tim

Let's see I dive in 81-83 degree water mostly. I wear a 5mm fullsuit w/ booties and a 2mm paddle cap. I'm still known to freeze my b@!!$ off. My GF dives right next to me wearing a 2mm jacket thingy and she's warm. So that just goes to show some extremes.

Body fat plays a big part too (but still quite subjective) I have about a 5-6% she has about a 23%.

Damselfish:

I've indeed seen charts like that (just as the one in other post), what happens is that I consider them useless! Maybe a skinfold thickness vs. wetsuit thickness will be more adequate :wink:

It just varies from person to person, I also consider 80F to be "cool", something below that and above 71F is cold, and anything colder should be highball material :D

I've dove Malpelo (not far from Cocos, and about the same conditions) with my 3mm suit with a 1.7 vest over, and I've felt cold... The reason probably is that most diving sites there are about 120', and the thermocline is usually around 70' or 80'... (Has happened also that you have to extend your bottom time because of the huuuge groups of hammerheads that "park" just over your head!)

I wish you the very best (and the very warmest :wink: ) dives in Cocos, Happy bubbles!

There is a standard chart I used to see on a lot of websites. It was along the lines of what 3dent posted. If you do a google search of "wetsuit thickness chart" you can see other versions.

The real truth is that as mentioned it varies with metabolisim, tolerance and activity level so it's a gulde at best. The personal solution often embodies some layering with a vest of some sort and no chart reflects those varriations. If you look at a chart be sure it's for scuba which includes full imersion sand compression. Some are for surfing. jet-ski use kayaking or snorkeling.

To your trip, how comfy were you at 72F?

I assume you also dive booties and open heel fins? If not then getting these tootsies in rubber will add to your tolerance.

With 6mm on your core you might have a shot at being OK with well spaced dives and good surface practices. But 4 dives suggest at least 2 will be back to back boat dives and I bet you'll be happier with a 5mm full suit layerd either with your shortie or a new matching hooded vest. You can never have too much rubber in the gear locker. This would be a dandy suit for modest depth (40'~) fresh water summer dives at home too.

Pete

3dent and others,

Thanks. I will try Google.

3dents table was along the lines of what I remember. The guide was even more insightful, indeed, almost "3- dimensional" in that it also used color bar lines representing each suit in the temp range. This allowed overlap in suit and temp usage.

I thought it was helpful in reflecting the above mentioned facts (age, metabolism, body fat, personal preference, etc) and did reassure me that I would use a sliding scale approach that reflected my own diving... if you know what I mean. Once I experienced satisfactory conditions, I would stay on that line and slide down and thus upgrade the suit thickness. I found this reliable diving when in 50 to 83 F waters in 7mm farmers to 2mm shortie.

BTW, I did find the combination 3mm suit plus 2mm shortie over that comfortable in 2-dive usage in the keys at 71-73 F. I worry a little about 4-5 dives a day on a livaboard.

That table if found should be referenced here on scubaboard when I find it because it was so useful.

I would ask any expert to develop this idea further by adding stippling to the chart (or other 4th dimen. aid) for the impact of multiple dives on the chill factor.

Certainly the range of personal responses here shows this difficult problem is common.

Thanks for all the divers' help.

Back
Top Bottom