Probe Frogskins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I have been diving in Probe Frogskins for a few dives now.

She has about 20 dives in them, and I have about 10.

All these dives have been in warm, Caribbean waters, with low temps of 78 to 82.

For warm waters, I don't think we will likely use anything else.

The Frogskins are thin and stretchy. They're probably not much over 1mm thick, with a fuzzy backing.

In spite of their thin construction, they're warm. My wife thinks they are warmer than her 3mm wetsuit. I think that may be because her 3mm is a bit big on her, but I don't know for sure. Having worn both a 3mm wetsuit and the Frogskins, I can say for certain that I feel like the Frogskins are much more comfortable. I never even notice I have them on.

My wife gets cold extremely easily. I am a furnace and stay pretty warm. For both of us, the Frogskins are ideal. I can dive in warm water in just a rashguard, but I've found I like the Frogskins, not just for the underwater warmth, but because I like having them on when it's cold and windy on the boat. They provide my cold blooded wife with enough exposure protection that she leaves her (heavier and bulkier) 3mm wetsuit at home now. This is great when we're trying to minimize how much luggage we're bringing with us.

We both had to size up when fitting the Frogskins. My wife typically wears a size 8 in most women's clothing. She wears a size 12 in the Frogskins.
Likewise, I'm typically a XL mens size, and I went with a XXL for the Frogskins. Both of us have to wriggle a bit to get them on (and off) but once on, they are very comfortable.

They dry much quicker than my 3mm neoprene, which is nice when travelling. Turn them inside out; hang them up overnight and they're good to stuff in your luggage without getting everything else damp.

It's rare that my wife and I can both be comfortable wearing the same thermal layers, but Frogskins seem to provide an exceptional comfort range that both of us fit in.

Highly recommended.

I have used Probe wetsuits, specifically the iDry 5mm for a while I have owned a couple of them and am very very very happy with them. Very nice neoprene they are far the most comfortable wetsuits I have ever used and yes they dry significantly faster than any other wetsuit. Very good durability too. When I use to live in Australia I would say majority of the dive instructors in the Cairns and Port Douglas area that are doing 3 dives a day year round are using Probe wetsuits because they last.

For comparison, I have used Forth Element, Henderson, Scubapro, and O'Three. I would as O'Three wetsuits last the longest as far as not getting compressed but Probe wetsuits are much more comfy. I do alot of sub 100m diving so I smash wetsuits really quick. I can tell you the worst ever is Beuchat. If you do 4-5 dives below 100m with a brand new 5mm Beuchat it will literally be like rashguard material and is basically garbage after 5 dives and there customer service is horrible.

I have a 1.5MM Frogskin long sleeve rash guard that I use for layering under a Bare 3 or 5 MM depending upon the water temperature. The fleece on the inside does an amazing job of keeping you warm. Agreed that hung with the fleece side out these dry quickly as show in their video!

My wife and I have been diving in Probe Frogskins for a few dives now.

She has about 20 dives in them, and I have about 10.

All these dives have been in warm, Caribbean waters, with low temps of 78 to 82.

For warm waters, I don't think we will likely use anything else.

The Frogskins are thin and stretchy. They're probably not much over 1mm thick, with a fuzzy backing.

In spite of their thin construction, they're warm. My wife thinks they are warmer than her 3mm wetsuit. I think that may be because her 3mm is a bit big on her, but I don't know for sure. Having worn both a 3mm wetsuit and the Frogskins, I can say for certain that I feel like the Frogskins are much more comfortable. I never even notice I have them on.

My wife gets cold extremely easily. I am a furnace and stay pretty warm. For both of us, the Frogskins are ideal. I can dive in warm water in just a rashguard, but I've found I like the Frogskins, not just for the underwater warmth, but because I like having them on when it's cold and windy on the boat. They provide my cold blooded wife with enough exposure protection that she leaves her (heavier and bulkier) 3mm wetsuit at home now. This is great when we're trying to minimize how much luggage we're bringing with us.

We both had to size up when fitting the Frogskins. My wife typically wears a size 8 in most women's clothing. She wears a size 12 in the Frogskins.
Likewise, I'm typically a XL mens size, and I went with a XXL for the Frogskins. Both of us have to wriggle a bit to get them on (and off) but once on, they are very comfortable.

They dry much quicker than my 3mm neoprene, which is nice when travelling. Turn them inside out; hang them up overnight and they're good to stuff in your luggage without getting everything else damp.

It's rare that my wife and I can both be comfortable wearing the same thermal layers, but Frogskins seem to provide an exceptional comfort range that both of us fit in.

Highly recommended.

Hi, In your experience how tight are these supposed to fit?

I received mediums 1.5 mm top and bottoms on the suggestion of the Probewetsuit employee after telling them my size and weight--I usually take large tops. The top medium is quite tight but stretchy. Hard to get on and really hard to take off--dry. Feels tight. Probe has said they are supposed to be tight, but this seems a bit much.

Arm and leg length are good but the rest is tight.

I am thinking of sending the top back for a large.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan

I am 150 pounds, 5'8" and shrinking. I use a medium. It is tight. The idea is to limit the water flow as much as possible. Agree, difficult to put on and take off but worth the effort.

I am 150 pounds, 5'8" and shrinking. I use a medium. It is tight. The idea is to limit the water flow as much as possible. Agree, difficult to put on and take off but worth the effort.
Thanks, Blues Runner. This is helpful.

I am about 175 lbs and 5'7. May be too tight for me.

Seems as if Probe prioritizes height and arm length and then allows for the stretch to take bulk into account.

May return for a Large.

Cheers,

Stan

I generally wear a size XL in most garments.

I sized up and went XXL with the Frogskins. They fit tight, but I can get them on and they're comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom