Does anyone make a 4/3 wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradlw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When I can back into diving I think I'm going to have to get a new suit.
My cold tolerance is not at all what it used to be so I've been scratching my head about what might make the most sense. It was so long ago I'm struggling to even remember what I used to wear in various temps and conditions.... most of my diving back in the day would have been in some combination of a jacketed farmer john 3mm suit I used to own.....the jacket was a long sleeve shorty, with overalls under when it was colder. Very versatile suit, but in my limited shopping around online those don't seem to be popular/available any more.... to bad, It was a great combo in my opinion. That would have been basically a 6mm torso 3mm limbs...so sort of like a 6/3

Diving would be Florida springs or sinks, so around about 72°F, then probably SE Florida and the Keys occasionally...an maybe some warm water diving while on a cruise some day somewhere....

I see the 3mm suits, and 3/2 suits.... but I'm thinking I'll want a little warmer than that. Might be wrong but I feel like a 5mm would just be too thick/stiff/uncomfortable. So Maybe a 4/3 or a 5/4...or a nice 3mm or 4mm farmer john if I can find one.

I have a very old Sea Elite semidry...i think it might be a 7/5. It's still supple and in great shape...and I think it still fits well...but I hate that thing. Uncomfortable for me and very hard to put on. It's probably what I will and should use when I join my family for their training dives in the springs of North Florida...but I may just buy something more suitable...

Made just for you:

I have a couple of friends who got this suit not too long ago, they won't use anything else now. I just ordered one for myself. I hope that it will fit me or else I'll have to go on a strict diet.

most of my diving back in the day would have been in some combination of a jacketed farmer john 3mm suit I used to own.....the jacket was a long sleeve shorty, with overalls under when it was colder. Very versatile suit, but in my limited shopping around online those don't seem to be popular/available any more.... to bad, It was a great combo in my opinion.
Farmer John's are still a thing:
Overall; Neosport by Henderson waterman
Jacket; Neosport by Henderson waterman

There is also the 'old' Scubapro Everflex Steamer 5/4 mm, made of regular neoprene.
My wife and i have them, it is my favorite wetsuit. Although moving to dive dry now that i live where the water is always cold.

Farmer John's are still a thing:
Overall; Neosport by Henderson waterman
Jacket; Neosport by Henderson waterman
Neosport is Henderson's budget line. I semi-splurged and got the their mid-range Thermoprene version which I love. The full length front zip (which is on both versions) is super convenient.

... most of my diving back in the day would have been in some combination of a jacketed farmer john 3mm suit I used to own.....the jacket was a long sleeve shorty, with overalls under when it was colder. Very versatile suit, but in my limited shopping around online those don't seem to be popular/available any more ...
That was what I wore, too, when I certified here (for MO and AR diving) in the 1980's. 1/4" for each piece was very common (and very adequate).

I tried to rent the same configuration for my daughter (college junior) for her open water check-out here this past May. My LDS informed me that they typically rent a long-sleeve jumpsuit and a short-sleeve shorty for diving here these days. So, we rented my daughter a 5mm long-sleeve jumpsuit and a 5mm short-sleeve shorty. She also rented a hooded vest (to have options). She did almost all of her check-out diving wearing only the jumpsuit with the hooded vest underneath.

rx7diver

3 mm, 5 mm, and 7 mm full suits are readily available, with or without a 5/3 mm hooded vest, that covers all the ocean temps I'm willing to dive wet, low to mid 50s on up.

+1 for a 4/3 surfing wetsuit. They’re really common here and more comfortable/flexible/warmer than most wetsuits of the same size

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom