temp based thickness guide??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Follow-up : googled "wetsuit thickness guide" gives a table with overlap.

I wish I knew how to link things !?

Wetnorm,

Because there is SO much variation from person to person, you need to make your own chart. You can start with the one you found via Google, or the info provided here, but to really have any value for YOU, you need to determine your own tolerances for cold and dress accordingly.

For me
at 73 and above I use my .5mm wetsuit
~65 to 72 I use my 3mm wetsuit
below 65 I use my 7mm wetsuit

For many people those would be totally unacceptable; for some that would not be nearly enough neoprene, for others it would be too much. For some, anything less than a drysuit is sacrilegious. Too each his / her own. Some people view threads like this as their opportunity to brag about how little they need or how cold the water is where they dive. Great. More power to them. However it has almost no bearing on YOUR needs. Only you can address those.

The key is to find out what YOU need to be comfortable. Look at the charts you have found, and compare what temps you have dove in and what thickness you have worn, and how well that worked for you. Then you have an idea if you are in the same range as the chart(s) in question, or whether you are above or below those averages. Adjust from there.

Remember also that within reasonable limits, a little too much neoprene is better than too little. I am not talking about so much neoprene that you generate heatstroke, I am talking about being a little warm is better and more easily dealt with than being too cold. One can do things to cool off if you are overly warm, but warming when underinsulated is difficult. Just my opinions, and only because you asked.

Wristshot

If you're diving below 70 degrees I think a 3mm will be too cold. I dived in 71 this weekend in a 5mm and was chilled on the first dive. I wore a hood for dive #2 and felt fine. I was really amazed that the addition of one piece made such a difference. I never felt it so drastically before. You might want to bring some add on neoprene like a hood or vest in case you get cold, or just go with a thicker suit.

wetnorm:
Help!! Does anyone remember seeing a table of recommended w/s thickness versus water temp? I have searched archives to no avail.

Going soon to Cocos Island 9/30-10/5 with temp range 75-82, and rarely 67-70, according to posts. Plan four dives a day.

I have a 3mm jumpsuit (with a 3mm shorty, hood and gloves) I have used in the winter in the Keys when water 72-74 F.

Should this be good? Any strong recommendations for more rubber?

Thanks
Wetnorm

I myself am cold by the 4th day in a 3mm jumpsuit with 3 dives a day (average 60 minutes each) in 84 F water. I'm 6ft and 200 lbs. So I would go with the 5mm but it looks like you do quite fine with the colder water than I do. Like everyone says, it depends a lot on your body and metabalism and especially how many days you will be diving in a row. The repetitive diving really ends up dropping my core temperature.

Have fun.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom