Tell me your favorite restaurants!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. We too were completely underwhelmed by the place next door, (just West of).
The place with the overly aggressive waiters greeting as you walk. I can admire a go-getter, but there is so much of that on the island, like many others.
However, the place that's kitty corner - (would that be the northeast corner of 1st and 5th?), was very good. We much preferred it over Casa Denis.
I've never seen that place crowded. Google maps calls it Chabad de Cozumel which is named for an Orthodox Jewish Hasidic dynasty and lists it as Kosher altho Chabads are known to cater to secular Jews.

upload_2021-9-11_8-47-0.png

We also love Cozumel Dreaming, excellent sushi and of course Kooben Laab!
Tried Kooben Laab last night and it was great. Tasty garden salad followed by tortellini stuffed with spinach & cheese, in a tomato/red wine/sausage sauce. Yum. Not to mention the delicious focaccia bread.

Now I'd like a recommendation for a good seafood restaurant for my last meal, prior to returning to the purgatory of the Arizona desert (109F tomorrow.) I may try Cozumel Dreaming, but would like to hear some other options.

@DeltaWardog I see you are staying at Residencias Reef. Won't you be spending a bunch of time in a taxi to visit many of the restaurants listed here?

Tried Kooben Laab last night and it was great. Tasty garden salad followed by tortellini stuffed with spinach & cheese, in a tomato/red wine/sausage sauce. Yum. Not to mention the delicious focaccia bread.

Now I'd like a recommendation for a good seafood restaurant for my last meal, prior to returning to the purgatory of the Arizona desert (109F tomorrow.) I may try Cozumel Dreaming, but would like to hear some other options.

@DeltaWardog I see you are staying at Residencias Reef. Won't you be spending a bunch of time in a taxi to visit many of the restaurants listed here?
If I had to pick one seafood restaurant for my last night on Cozumel, it would have to be Buccano's. All the food there is excellent; I recommend the Lobster Mac and Cheese. It's a beautiful place, too.

If I had to pick one seafood restaurant for my last night on Cozumel, it would have to be Buccano's. All the food there is excellent; I recommend the Lobster Mac and Cheese. It's a beautiful place, too.
And I see they have sushi also. Hmmm. Probably a taxi ride from the Casa Mexicana?

Won't you be spending a bunch of time in a taxi to visit many of the restaurants listed here?

Yep. That's just the price I have to pay for wanting to stay in the south and not do all-inclusive food. I have stayed in town on previous trips, at Vista del Mar once, or a rented house a couple of times, and I always struggle to sleep properly with the traffic noise, even on side streets. I am highly susceptible to being woken up by any random noise at night, unfortunately. So I find I have more restful trips when I stay in the south and traffic is at a minimum at night. That meant I always had a rental car in the past. I'm considering just using taxis this time and see how it goes.

It's all good though. Once the diving is done for the day I've got nothing but time until getting wet again the next morning. :)

And I see they have sushi also. Hmmm. Probably a taxi ride from the Casa Mexicana?
Yeah, it's near the north end of the hotel zone. It's well worth the trip, though; it's a must-do for us on every trip to Cozumel. Sit outside if you can.

Reservations are recommended.

Reservations are recommended.
And therein lies the wrinkle in my plan. Called too late and they couldn't seat me till 9, which would put me home way past my bedtime.

So I executed Plan B and dined at Cozumel Dreaming, which was superb. Friendly server and sushi chef and great food. And Jackson Browne songs piped in :).

Wrapping up my last night, and a great week of diving, at Woody's listening to a pretty talented trio.

Yep. That's just the price I have to pay for wanting to stay in the south and not do all-inclusive food. I have stayed in town on previous trips, at Vista del Mar once, or a rented house a couple of times, and I always struggle to sleep properly with the traffic noise, even on side streets. I am highly susceptible to being woken up by any random noise at night, unfortunately. So I find I have more restful trips when I stay in the south and traffic is at a minimum at night. That meant I always had a rental car in the past. I'm considering just using taxis this time and see how it goes.

It's all good though. Once the diving is done for the day I've got nothing but time until getting wet again the next morning. :)
Totally get the noise sensitivity. Fortunately I could probably sleep through a hurricane, but wouldn't want to test that! Back when it was open, I would stay at Suites Bahia and have no problem with the bands at the Thirsty Cougar :).

:)
We have always stayed at Residencias Reef. This past Feb we decided to shake things up and stay at Palmar Condos instead. It was a great condo, but I missed the tranquility and peace of RR. I also missed being so close to the reefs with shorter boat times and getting to sleep in a little later. Having the outdoor shower and rinse tanks sure beat taking a taxi back to condo after diving.

We used to rent a car, but in the past couple of years have used a taxi instead. The cost comes out to about the same. The major upside to a taxi is not stressing out looking for a parking spot. Unfortunately, our favorite taxi driver is no longer on the island, thus we will have to find a new one. Glad to be back to RR in Oct.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to share your favorites! I've gone through the whole thread and compiled lists and notes, in order of how many recommendations they got. Places I've already been are still in the list but I thought a summary might be nice for anyone that comes across the thread later.

There is certainly more than enough here to keep me fed on a two week trip. Really looking forward to trying so many new places. Thanks again!

Three or more mentions:
Bucannos at Night - Lobster Mac and Cheese, sushi, reservations recommended
Casa Mission
Cozumel Dreaming - Sushi
El Moro
Kooben Laab
Los Tacotales
Mister Taco - al Pastor, pork chop tacos
Soy Gardel - Mango tuna tartare

Two mentions:
Ceverceria Punta Sur - Ceviche and craft beer, wood-fired empanadas and lionfish pizza
El Pique
El Super Hit - tacos de cochinitas, best red salsa ever
Guido's - Upscale Italian
New Especias - Italian, "better than Guidos"
Sazon de Camaron - Shrimp or ceviche tacos with chipotle sauce, breaded shrimp tacos

Single recommendation:
Angels & Demons Il Resto Bar Grill - Burgers & BBQ
Blue Angel
Bombay Delights - Indian
Casa Cuzamil
Casa Denis
Chabad de Cozumel - excellent margarita, poached filet Veracruz style
Kondesa - Kinta's sister restaurant
La Choza
La Cocay
La Cucina Italiana - lobster tail, pasta, soup, and salad for 220 Pesos!
La Inombrable - Good steaks, ribeye aguachile appetizer
La Perlita
Le Chef - Bacon Lobster Sandwich
Ohana
Pancho's Backyard
Sereno

edit: Almost forgot dessert places!

Dessert:
La Monina - order Fundat de Chocolate con Helado de Vanilla
Chocolateria Islabella (from another thread)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom