Tell me your favorite restaurants!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm heading back to Cozumel soon for the first time in 6 years. I've learned from a few threads over the past couple months that some of my favorite restaurants are no more. So I need some new recommendations! I have Kooben Laab and Sazon de Camaron on my list to check out, thanks to some of you fine folks' stories. What else ya got?

One that was given to me recently by the owner of my LDS was Sorreno's, near Scuba Mau / Papa Hogs building. Anybody have experience to share on that one?

I prefer authentic local food and avoid touristy stuff and most restaurants on the waterfront. Proud to say in all my trips to Cozumel I never set foot in the McDonalds, Hooters, or Senor Frogs. :rofl3:

Here are some of my favorites for reference, if that helps with recommendations:

El Pique
Los Tacotales (was Los Otates when last I visited)
Guido's, only on some trips if I'm dying for Italian food
Casa Mission
Kinta, not sure if they're still around? seems they were closed for a bit last year at least

Try search...its in here in depth.

Enjoy, the food is great!

We usually make a stop at Casa Cuzamil on 5th Ave between 1st and 3rd street. Sit upstairs under the palapa.

If you like El Pique - and who doesn't - give Los Seras a try. It's on 30th about a block from Kooben.

We usually make a stop or two at Cerveceria Punta Sur for some pizza and craft beer. If memory serves, it's on 10th between 1st and 3rd, one block closer to the water than Otates.

El Moro is always a favorite - aside from very local food, they are the sweetest family and have struggled through the pandemic. It is way back in the residential area but all taxis know where it is and if they don’t, get another taxi lol

Bucannos at Night is also one of the best restaurants I’ve been to anywhere - with excellent fresh locally (not poached) caught seafood. They do not serve grouper or other endangered fish not do they fish on the reef like so many other local places. It’s worth a splurge and sunsets are amazing there.

Since you like El Pique, try Mister Taco. El Pastor on a spit. Pretty amazing. Las Otates, now called Tacos Talles (or something like that), is still searchable on Google Maps as Las Otates has great pozole and tacos. If you want to try some craft beer and excellent ceviche, go to Ceverceria Punta Sur, across the street from La Choza. If you are willing to walk north a bit for a dessert, go to La Monina and order Fundat de Chocolate con Helado de Vanilla. It takes about 20 once you order it (they'll warn you in advance) but the ocean view on the deck is nice, even at night, and you'll catch some nice breezes while you wait.

Thumbs up to Sazon Del Camarone for the ceviche mixtos tacos!

Mister Taco for al Pastor and charro beans is great too, also try the pork chop taco!

on Sunday's Super Heat has tacos de cochinitas which is really good and they have the best red salsa that I have had anywhere! This place is also very inexpensive we had four tacos each ( the small size like we call street tacos) and a beer each and the total was 220 pesos for both.

I am not sure if I am more excited to go back for scuba or tacos??

Yes, Kinta is still still closed - just walked by there yesterday.
But Kinta's sister restaurant, Kondesa, is still operating, and it is excellent.

Some of my other faves: 'Ohana (owned and run by Blue Angel DM Mateo and his wife), Casa Cuzamil, La Perlita, La Choza, El Moro, Buccano's at Night, Casa Mission, Pancho's Backyard, and the restaurant at Blue Angel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom