Tell me about the SP Mk2 R195

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the ethical dilemma. If they don't make it right, it is your duty to go onto every place possible and write a scathing review about what happened in order to prevent anyone else from getting scammed by them. If you don't, you are part of the problem. You also have an obligation to report them to AUP for improper service of their regulators. That said, if you don't give them the chance to make it right, then you are in an ethical dilemma of not allowing them to right their wrong.

do what you want, but if you don't publicize this shop, which you have been complaining about for a month on this forum, and someone else gets ripped off by them, you are partially at fault for not trying to prevent it.

tbone, you have really good points. This is a very small shop, and the owner only works part time- he is a full time HVAC tech. His wife is at the shop during the day for sales.
I will contact them Monday and go from there.

I took my Oceanic reg set to have it serviced before my cruise dive trip and the tech found that it was cracked and had serious corrosion from not having been properly serviced in several years. I bought it used a year and a half ago and was told by the shop I bought it from that they had just serviced it.
My console gauges and hoses are OK, but the first stage, second stage and octo are not serviceable.

I need new regs. A LDS recommended a ScubaPro Mk2 with an R195 second stage and R095 octo. He offered to let me use them on my dives and if I like them I can buy them.

I do not dive cold water under 50*, will probably never go deeper than 100', and don't do a large number of dives.
This reg set is a basic set but from reading seems to be solid and reliable.
For about $400.00 for the full set including octo is there a better option in this price range?

The MK2 is the bottom of the line SP 1st stage, but cheap and proven/simple, which has it's virtues. Being 'unbalanced', it's performance will drop at lower tank pressures, and it only has (1) HP port, which may or may not be an issue for you. You have nothing to lose if the LDS is willing to let you test dive it 'in the real world' to form your own opinion before purchase, if it were me, I'd take the LDS up on their offer. Personally, I'd shop for a better reg (used) on Ebay, etc. but given your recent bad luck in the used market, I think you'd be happier with a 'cheap' new unit whose usage/care 'history' will, at least, be written by you. The peace of mind will be worth it to you.

Last edited:
HOG and Deep6 is where I'd be looking if new was a must.....

HOG and Deep6 is where I'd be looking if new was a must.....

seems like HOG has had some 'issues' per assorted threads here on SB, and while I wish them well, Deep6 is completely new to the market and their long-term market presence remains to be seen and I'd rather not be a beta-tester.

The MK20/G250 offered would be a pretty sound deal. MK20 is at a similar level of performance to the current (very expensive) MK25, and the G250 is a known top end workhorse for Scubapro. No problem with parts for either of them.

The MK20/G250 offered would be a pretty sound deal. MK20 is at a similar level of performance to the current (very expensive) MK25, and the G250 is a known top end workhorse for Scubapro. No problem with parts for either of them.

In theory I'd agree, moreover 'halocline' is a trust worthy source, my concern is the OP probably has trust issues given his prior experience buying used, so I suspect new would be the way to go for him.

seems like HOG has had some 'issues' per assorted threads here on SB, and while I wish them well, Deep6 is completely new to the market and their long-term market presence remains to be seen and I'd rather not be a beta-tester.

I've got 2 D1 Colds, 4 classics, and two zenith seconds along with 3 wings. My buddy has a doubles set of D1/Classics. Been a few years now, and no issues beyond the "normal" I've experienced in 25 years of being a SCUBA diver......

Knowing what Chris has done over the years (and a whole bunch before the launch of HOG), you are hardly a "beta tester" for his Deep6 line.

Look on the CPSC page to the recalls regarding scuba gear......

probably a bunch of names there you hold at a higher status.....

Now, that MK-20/G250 is a great used option (I've got three singles sets of that set-up we use for vacation diving), but you feel you need new.

Deep6 is completely new to the market and their long-term market presence remains to be seen and I'd rather not be a beta-tester.

Chris has been in the dive equipment industry for a while. He simply started a new company to go with the new business model. We aren't going anywhere, we are here to stay. lol

If the comment about beta testing is referring to the products, they have been CE/CE Cold approved. Chris has been designing gear for a while, so I wouldn't really call any of his designs 'betas'. I am always happy to let anyone try our gear if I get asked when I'm out diving, and we do offer Demo days on occasion for people to test stuff out they are thinking about buying.

Cheers,
Landon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom