Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was Children's Protective Service ever involved? What kind of parent drags a paralyzed child to graduation instead of dialing 911?
Maybe they didn't drag him.. They just hooked up the house, and towed the entire works to the school. ;-)

I have called 911 three times in one day before about different incidents. I have a great appreciation for the dispatchers who work the calls and decide what's best, the law officers who keep us in line, the first responders who try to save us from mistakes and other incidents, and so on. If your child can't walk into ER, he needs to be carried in - not proped up on a couch or drug to graduation.

I have seen a paralyzed diver refuse treatment for hours, take a chamber ride, demand to be released from hospital after it and then limp back to the dive centre and try to dive again.
People do stupid stuff under stress.
And in a shoulda would coulda world, the kid would probably be fine if he was treated immediately.

Quite remarkable. Under what circumstances would a sane person bring ANYONE with a medical emergency to a chiropractor?
It actually doesn't shock me that much.

Chiropractic is pseudo science. People who believe in pseudo science tend to trust doctors less than others on average. This kind of skepticism may explain why they didn't call immediately rescue services and why they waited so much before calling the doctors. It may also be linked to the "psychosomatic" thing that the mother mentioned (in my experience, a lot of people who believe in pseudo science also strongly believe in spiritual things and in the power of mind, in a way that is disproportionate to the reality).

I hope the kid will be fine, and the family learnt the lesson.

Ooooh, a lovely foot massage... feel better already

I really hope he has DAN insurance. A guy recently did a very pedestrian chamber ride in a hospital chamber in the Miami area that would have been ~$40K... but he had DAN so completely covered. This kid is going though something much more extensive.
There’s almost no way he does. Doubt they thought DCS was a big enough risk, as we can tell from his mom’s post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom