Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so glad the chiropractor was available.

Because if he wasn't, she would probably have taken her son to church and pray for him to get healed. Maybe invite some relatives to sing a gospel along with the prayers.

Incredible, this whole story is 50 Shades Of Wrong.

Prayers do not heal DCS. "God" doesn't do sh!t, regardless of which religion you believe in.

Obviously there is still a really long way to go to ingrain the basics:
  1. Get on 100% oxygen
  2. Call EMS or even better DAN. Follow the advice given.
According to the mother, it was a 90ft dive for 20 minutes. Since the entire story is completely one-sided with a large summary of wrong decisions, I doubt if it was really 90ft/20min. But I guess we'll never see the real profile from his computer.

Because if he wasn't, she would probably have taken her son to church and pray for him to get healed. Maybe invite some relatives to sing a gospel along with the prayers.

Nah, high school graduation is the cure for all ailments. She stated that was the plan till the chiropractor said otherwise.

At the same time part of the blame for delay also belongs to the kid, he is 18 legally a adult and I'm assuming at least a OW diver. He should have known to say I need to go to the ER. Basic OW any dive even within NDL has risk if you show any signs after a dive call DAN or go to ER.

I am so glad the chiropractor was available.

Incredible, this whole story is 50 Shades Of Wrong.

Prayers do not heal DCS. "God" doesn't do sh!t, regardless of which religion you believe in.

1. Get on 100% oxygen
According to the mother, it was a 90ft dive for 20 minutes. Since the entire story is completely one-sided with a large summary of wrong decisions, I doubt if it was really 90ft/20min. But I guess we'll never see the real profile from his computer.
See, I can tell you've been to that part of Florida before.

FWIW, about once every three years, I bugger up my sciatic nerve and I literally can't walk. I can't do anything. Mercifully, my Chiropractor makes house calls. Fifteen minutes after he arrives, I'm good to go.

Having been bent, I tell you without hesitation that the two things could not be mixed up.
That reminds me that my first episode like that occurred after diving. I had apparently injured a nerve climbing up a boat ladder in Cozumel. That evening, my back was in pain, and I couldn't walk without frequent stops to sit down. Being bent never occurred to me, and I didn't seek medical attention unti I got home to the US. Maybe I should cut the mom here some slack.

Raw honey works as a antibiotic ointment in place of neosporine. There are a couple others I can't remember at the moment
That is not homepathy. Not even close. If you told me that you diluted a drop of honey in a swimming pool of water and the reslting solution still showed antibiotic properties, then you’d be in the ballpark. Really, you need to understand what homeopathy is (vs old wive’s remedies that may have an inkling of truth) before making claims.

Maybe I should cut the mom here some slack.
That's up to you, but I can't get my head around the thought process.

By her own statement, things went south quickly right after he got on board. They then attempted in-water recompression. Those lead me to believe that in their minds, DCS could have been involved. After that, the response was more geared around tacos and graduation.

1. Get on 100% oxygen
It is important to emphasize that item number 2 is not correct with regard to sequence of events which should occur in an emergency. Delays can cause the spinal cord to die!

Do NOT call DAN first. Call EMS, get the evacuation started with the help of local authorities. Do not assume if you call DAN first that they will do this for you - they won't. If you have two phones there should be no problem in making simultaneous calls.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom