Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raw honey works as a antibiotic ointment in place of neosporine. There are a couple others I can't remember at the moment
That is not homeopathy. It seems like you are conflating using natural "cures" with homeopathy. Homepathy is very specific that you treat "like with like" but in a ridiculously dilute form. It is the treatment of disease by minute doses of natural substances that in a healthy person would produce symptoms of disease.

Jackie

That doesn't mean that the chiropractor I went to that alleviated the numbness and tingling in my foot isn't doing anything.
I have never said that they do nothing. I actually believe they do something. And that doesn't change what I mentioned before.... But we are going quite off topic here :)

It is important to emphasize that item number 2 is not correct with regard to sequence of events which should occur in an emergency. Delays can cause the spinal cord to die!

Do NOT call DAN first. Call EMS, get the evacuation started with the help of local authorities. Do not assume if you call DAN first that they will do this for you - they won't. If you have two phones there should be no problem in making simultaneous calls.
Absolutely correct.

Also, everybody involved in a rescue should have a role. I was involved with one during a training dive at an inland location (no boat).

Upon surfacing, it was obvious there was a problem with one of the divers. Instructor was working with the student, and asked me to secure her gear while he brought her out. Another instructor from the same shop had just arrived, so my instructor had her get the O2 kit from his truck. The other two divers exited the water. The second instructor then made sure everyone had a role. She had one of the students call 911, while she called DAN. I was sent to the dive site office to get a defibrillator. They didn't have one.

By that time, I heard the sirens approach, so I waited by the road to direct the paramedics.

Student did do a chamber ride as a precaution, though it wasn't DCS. In this case was IPE.

That's up to you, but I can't get my head around the thought process.

By her own statement, things went south quickly right after he got on board. They then attempted in-water recompression. Those lead me to believe that in their minds, DCS could have been involved. After that, the response was more geared around tacos and graduation.
There's an element to accident analysis that suggests we try to put ourselves in the mind of the person involved and ask "Why did it seem reasonable at the time to do that?" As opposed to simple blamestorming with the benefit of hindsight. In this case, it seems difficult. But that doesn't mean we can't stretch our imaginations in the interest of accident analysis.

p.s.: not disagreeing with anything you said; just hoping to get us back on track

That is not homepathy. Not even close. If you told me that you diluted a drop of honey in a swimming pool of water and the reslting solution still showed antibiotic properties, then you’d be in the ballpark. Really, you need to understand what homeopathy is (vs old wive’s remedies that may have an inkling of truth) before making claims.

Look up actual definitions then get back to me.

It is important to emphasize that item number 2 is not correct with regard to sequence of events which should occur in an emergency. Delays can cause the spinal cord to die!

Do NOT call DAN first. Call EMS, get the evacuation started with the help of local authorities. Do not assume if you call DAN first that they will do this for you - they won't. If you have two phones there should be no problem in making simultaneous calls.
I don't how it it works in the US, but in Europe you're better off calling DAN first. They will notify the correct EMS department, which differs per country, and they can directly contact the teams that operate the chamber.

For example in France, you call les pompiers (fire department) in case of suspected DCS. The majority of them are (cave-)rescuedivers, and can bring you directly into a recompression chamber without all the delays that will likely happen at the emergency desk. If you call the general emergency number in Europe (112) an ambulance is sent to you, but the paramedics will very likely have no knowledge about DCS, unless you're in an area where diving is common.

Anyway, calling emergency services and getting objective, non-emotional advice is better than hearsay-IWR, tacos, chiropractor or praying.

There's an element to accident analysis that suggests we try to put ourselves in the mind of the person involved and ask "Why did it seem reasonable at the time to do that?" As opposed to simple blamestorming with the benefit of hindsight. In this case, it seems difficult. But that doesn't mean we can't stretch our imaginations in the interest of accident analysis.
Yep, I agree with this, and I do try. As I said earlier, I'm really struggling with understanding the thought process in this case.

I don't how it it works in the US, but in Europe you're better off calling DAN first. They will notify the correct EMS department, which differs per country, and they can directly contact the teams that operate the chamber.

Not here in US. They will advise you if it possible DCS etc. Once you are at a treatment they have dive Dr's who will coordinate with the ER Dr. etc. They will not call you an ambulance though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom