Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is not that uncommon, is it?
Some people have not sought help for days. Denial is a strong force.
In this case, it wasn’t the diver who delayed treatment. That’s usually what happens. And have you heard of treatment being delayed when the diver couldn’t walk? Not that I can recall.

What a terrible story. Almost difficult to comprehend, but I have heard so many stories of commercial spearfisherman getting bent and self treating (immediate in water deco - often with oxygen and quite often to 60 feet) that I can believe almost anything. - and yes I said in water deco on O2 at 60 feet.

I am not sure how anyone can be criticized for drawing a conclusion that the parent's were grossly negligent in the handling of the case, especially since they were apparently divers, I assume?

I wonder if the outcome might have been different if they had oxygen on board? One would suspect so.

Let's all pray that this kid makes a full recovery and the parent's can learn to forgive themselves.

In this case, it wasn’t the diver who delayed treatment.
Did he ask for treatment?
As a diver he was (supposed to be) knowledgeable of DCS.
And have you heard of treatment being delayed when the diver couldn’t walk? Not that I can recall.
No, I haven't.
But graduation and all... people are sometimes too focused on one thing.

I cannot blame some party as I only have partial knowledge. I can still say that it is too easy to judge.

Well he is at the right place, Blake is one of the few hospitals in Florida that will treat DCS.

What am I missing from the video? It won't load.

I could try to verify it, but TBH I have very limited contact with the local scuba community outside the rare tank fill or getting stuff serviced.

His mum posted this 14h ago:

<patient> has been in hyperbaric treatments everyday and has improved steadily. He can stand and walk with a walker about 50 feet. It is slow and very labored. His feet and legs aren't following directions yet. (now he knows what that feels like)
His sensation and feeling are starting to return very slowly.
We had him discharged yesterday and took him to Tampa for another hyperbaric treatment. He is now home with me and will start his physical therapy rehab journey today to relearn how to walk. I'm praying for the therapists to work magic, because there is little guidance on this and no easy plan of action to follow. We know there is a neurological insult, we just don't know the how or why or what......he is a box of chocolates at this point.....just don't know what your going to get.
He has not plateaued, he is making progress. Cognitively he is sharp. Mentally he is struggling with his condition and just wants to walk.and life to be normal.

All the words of encouragement have helped and certainly our prayers have been answered as he is still getting better everyday.
There are no words of appreciation or thanks that can come close to being adequate for all the support and well wishes that have come our way. Thank you is the best I can come up with right now. We are beyond grateful for everything.

Was Children's Protective Service ever involved? What kind of parent drags a paralyzed child to graduation instead of dialing 911?

He was unable to walk, so they brought him to, not the ER, ... a chiropractor?
FWIW, about once every three years, I bugger up my sciatic nerve and I literally can't walk. I can't do anything. Mercifully, my Chiropractor makes house calls. Fifteen minutes after he arrives, I'm good to go.

Having been bent, I tell you without hesitation that the two things could not be mixed up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom