Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait, and grandma died too?

Bizzare

All I have to say if WTF.

There is a lot they are not saying as mentioned above what we're the reasons they put him in the water at 25? What were the signs he was showing?

I agree even if dcs was not suspected he should have been brought to the ER immediately.

They lost me when they took him to a chiropractor who said that he was “out of alignment”. Darwin wins this round.
He was unable to walk, so they brought him to, not the ER, ... a chiropractor?

All I have to say if WTF.

There is a lot they are not saying as mentioned above what we're the reasons they put him in the water at 25? What were the signs he was showing?

I agree even if dcs was not suspected he should have been brought to the ER immediately.
Obviously they put him back down because he lost his speargun and didn’t get the fish for fish tacos! Once he caused the shift in taco content he of course had to wait on the couch for the chores to be done

Alright, I’m going to put on my adult in the room hat. We’ve all done the wrong thing in an emergency, and when our child is hurt, all we want is to make the hurt stop.

Yes, mom’s story is bizarre. Yes, they didn’t follow the emergency procedures as outlined in the emergency action manual. I’m sure she wishes she had done things differently.

Let’s keep the snarky comments to a dull roar in the A&I before a different adult comes along and provides spankings.

Saw this on FB this morning. Happened in FL. It’s one of the strangest diving related things I’ve ever read. 18 year old male was uw hunting. He comes up, mother sends him back down. He’s exhibiting clear DCS symptoms, but nothing is done about getting him medical treatment for hours. Finally ends up in a chamber. Screen shots below for those not on FB.

View attachment 721733View attachment 721734View attachment 721735

I really hope he has DAN insurance. A guy recently did a very pedestrian chamber ride in a hospital chamber in the Miami area that would have been ~$40K... but he had DAN so completely covered. This kid is going though something much more extensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom