Question TEC REC Elearning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from DEMA. During the conference, I had to meet with a PADI rep to do an update. All the student and instructor manuals have changed somewhat. This includes new required skills where some were just previously recommended and the dive depth range requirements have changed. The exams are new. The instructor wetnotes slates are new and in a better sized format. I am still going thru the manuals. I will post a video in a few days of the major differences.

I just completed the update through Tec 50 Instructor Trainer. Took around 10 -11 hours to complete.
The new rollout looks good to me.

Maybe I will help @divezonescuba with his assessment and explanations regarding the changes.

Right now I am brain dead & need a beer!! :cheers:

The biggest disappointment for this program is the fact that it cannot be taught in conjunction with a cave class. In order to teach Tec-40 etc in a cave the student must already be full cave certified with 10 post cave training cave dives.
Cave-PADI-Tec.png

Almost done with the update. A couple of minor textual issues, but the general program looks really good.
The things I miss: temperature influence on gas density (the examples are for zero degrees Celsius) and EADD.

The biggest disappointment for this program is the fact that it cannot be taught in conjunction with a cave class. In order to teach Tec-40 etc in a cave the student must already be full cave certified with 10 post cave training cave dives.
I agree that it doesn't make sense. Tec45 could be a prerequisite for intro & full cave.
What are your thoughts on this? Especially with regards to the distinctive cave specialties?

For a many years we have taught advanced nitrox in conjunction with Apprentice Cave and Deco Procedures with Full cave with NSS-CDS, IANTD, TDI, and NACD using the IANTD or TDI books/manuals & now e-Learning.

I have had the PADI cave IT distinctive specialty for a long time.

1 Is it a subscription payment model? No pay no see on expiry.
2 Can you highlight passages to aid learning and revision?
3 Can you browse, jump around and navigate easily?
4 Is it tied to modular tests: must pass to see next chapter?
5 Can you refer back to it in five years time, maybe when you're doing another course?
6 How much detail in it, or does the instructor have to add a lot more in the class presentation?

Books and printed manuals allow this. Same with PDFs
  1. You will keep access to the course material, also after the course. You can access it online, or if you have no internet available at a destination, you can use the PADI Training App to download all content to your phone.
  2. No the app doesn't allow that. I'm also missing a search function.
  3. Yes, you can jump around and repeat all sections.
  4. Each section has a short knowledge review. Complete it before moving onto the next section.
  5. Yes, the course materials will remain available after completing the course.
  6. As for detail: it is really good. Everything I added to the Tec40 course two weeks ago (old style course) is now covered in the new eLearning program.
Screenshot of the app:
Screenshot_Padi Training.jpg

Maybe Tec40 isn’t an appropriate course when compared with others in your particular circumstances?

The stunning and amazing cave environments you have access to in Florida truly are world class and unique. Decompression diving in those caves is simply a fact of life for cave divers. Cave diving, especially in the vast Floridian caves, requires superior skills and well sorted redundancy techniques, way beyond that necessary with open water diving.

Tec40 is like the basic level of technical diving, an introduction to using redundant kit and short decompression.
PADI's sales website:
"The PADI Tec 40 course is where you transition from recreational diving to technical diving. It's a natural progression from Tec Basics, or it can be your first tec diver course. It is the bridge between no stop diving and technical decompression diving. You will gain experience and begin building the knowledge and skills you need to continue your tec diver training. You will qualify to make limited decompression dives to 40 metres/130 feet and use up to 50 percent oxygen as a decompression gas."

In a cave you MUST be able to calculate gas volumes and use full redundancy not to mention the myriad other skills. Most of which will be to a standard well beyond Introductory Technical Diving courses. Probably the only new content in Tec40 for a cave diver would be planning and using accelerated decompression procedures; no-tox skills.

PADI do not do cave diving courses anyway. Therefore other agencies would be more appropriate than PADI’s offering.

PADI do not do cave diving courses anyway.
I have been able to certify cave divers through PADI for many years and still do occasionally.
Decompression diving in those caves is simply a fact of life for cave divers.
Decompression dives are not allowed in the NSS-CDS Apprentice Cave Diver training program.
other agencies would be more appropriate than PADI’s
We can agree to disagree on this point. Anyhow I will continue to do it the way we have done it...@Wibble what was your exposure to "Tec" training with your cave diver training classes?
I was loaned printouts from that manual to look at a while back. Gotta love a diver in drysuit and doubles, trying to do a valve drill while kneeling on the bottom of a swimming pool.
That was indeed a poor choice of imagery. The new materials have not included images like this.

I have been able to certify cave divers through PADI for many years and still do occasionally.
I got a PADI cave diver card with his name on it a dozen years ago. I also got a NSS-CDS card. The requirements were the same.

I just got back from DEMA. During the conference, I had to meet with a PADI rep to do an update. All the student and instructor manuals have changed somewhat. This includes new required skills where some were just previously recommended and the dive depth range requirements have changed. The exams are new. The instructor wetnotes slates are new and in a better sized format. I am still going thru the manuals. I will post a video in a few days of the major differences.

Are they still starting out with deco dives using single back mount and regular nitrox for deco?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom