Question TEC REC Elearning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twiny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

What about the launch of the PADI/DSAT Tec Rec Elearning ?
What is your opinion about this new program ?

I haven't seen it yet. I have only seen the announcement.

Is it a subscription payment model? No pay no see on expiry.
Can you highlight passages to aid learning and revision?
Can you browse, jump around and navigate easily?
Is it tied to modular tests: must pass to see next chapter?
Can you refer back to it in five years time, maybe when you're doing another course?
How much detail in it, or does the instructor have to add a lot more in the class presentation?

Books and printed manuals allow this. Same with PDFs

Books and printed manuals allow this. Same with PDFs
This is one thing that I'm going to be interested in seeing how they account for.... I'm a big fan of digital, but having a PDF where I can highlight on my iPad and navigate easily is a must these classes.

The fact that they are finally updating the material is welcomed though... I got a CD with my class pack for Tec40... I haven't owned something to read that in about 10 years.

Oh and pictures like this don't give an impression that the material is up to date:
Screenshot 2023-11-13 at 10.19.05 PM.png

This is one thing that I'm going to be interested in seeing how they account for.... I'm a big fan of digital, but having a PDF where I can highlight on my iPad and navigate easily is a must these classes.

The fact that they are finally updating the material is welcomed though... I got a CD with my class pack for Tec40... I haven't owned something to read that in about 10 years.

Oh and pictures like this don't give an impression that the material is up to date:
View attachment 810616
I was loaned printouts from that manual to look at a while back. Gotta love a diver in drysuit and doubles, trying to do a valve drill while kneeling on the bottom of a swimming pool.

Hi,
What would be cool is a comprehensive part about gas planning full of details & examples in all situations : no deco, 1 deco, 2 decos, solo... And I do hope that they drop the run time and the method of thirds ! And switch instead to TTS planning.
PS : I am not a big fan of TDI method either for gas planning

View attachment 810616
Hi,
Yes, Elearning is a must for Tec courses because it needs regular updates that are easy to performed again and again on an online material, to follow the evolution of sciences.
At the moment in the section gas planning, PADI/DSAT paper manual does not give any example of deco software nor algorythm.
PS : TDI manual only gives example with VPM, yes VPM ...

Yes indeed, the new Tec Rec program is available !
I am so curious to check the part about gas planning and deco profile ...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117-155357_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117-155357_Instagram.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 54

View attachment 810616
That picture is from the old Tec Deep Manual...so you are correct, that material is outdated.

New eLearning has pictures of somebody using a MacBook, a tablet of some type, and a Shearwater to supplement the dive planning software section.

Hi,
Yes, Elearning is a must for Tec courses because it needs regular updates that are easy to performed again and again on an online material, to follow the evolution of sciences.
At the moment in the section gas planning, PADI/DSAT paper manual does not give any example of deco software nor algorythm.
PS : TDI manual only gives example with VPM, yes VPM ...
No specific software is mentioned. The simply state that software is available for desktop computers, laptops, tablets and phones. They also talk about planning on the dive computer itself. Shearwater has excellent image placement in this section.

They talk about both gas content and bubble models and gradient factors. The mention that there are many algorithms based on Buhlmann ZHL-16 and they mention VPM and RGBM for the bubble models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom