Tears in my Force Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Bob,

Mahalo for reaching out. To be honest, my emails, etc. not always answered. What do you think I should do? I have one whole set out of 3 left to use. I also have one set of float tube which I can use although I love my pro force fins the best. Appreciate it, Kathi
Dear Kathi, not sure why emails are not reaching us. The phone is also working. Enjoy what you have left. Nothing will fix your issue. Keep the pair you have in the sun after use. Enjoy the warm water for me.

Aloha from Hawaii. I have 4 pairs of Force Fins. I love them as I snorkel/Swim 3 - 5 hours per week in the ocean here. They stop my legs, feet and toes from cramping. However, this is the 3rd fin to tear in exactly the same spot. Is there someway I can fix them? I would appreciate all the help I can get. I am new to The Board so please let me know if I have screwed something up here or messed up the protocol.

Mahalo for the help, Kathi
How old are the broken fins?

I honestly wouldn’t try to fix them since the tear is both at the foot pocket and the blade. The tear would drastically decrease thrust. What do you do usually to maintain them ?
I wash them well after every swim. I never let them sit straight up

Dear Kathi, not sure why emails are not reaching us. The phone is also working. Enjoy what you have left. Nothing will fix your issue. Keep the pair you have in the sun after use. Enjoy the warm water for me.
Thank you. Will keep in the sun. Didn't know that.

Sorry to hear about your force fins. When I was first certified, 25 years ago, I bought a pair of force fins and those were all I used for about 15 years. I love them. Small but strong. They can fit into a snorkel bag and in all sorts of suitcases or backpacks.

Eventually I got into technical diving and my instructor insisted that I buy a pair of fins that weren't "split fins". I tried to argue that force fins aren't really split, and explained to him that they were carefully designed by engineers working with biologists who study marine mammals, but after we tried a few experiments he convinced me that heavy fins were far superior in currents at great depths. At this point I have to agree with him, and I have since bought some ScubaPro Jet Fins and some Mares fins that I use for serious diving. But I still have my original force fins and I still use them for recreational diving and for snorkeling. After 25 years they have no tears or other damage. I always rinse them liberally with tapwater and leave them in the sun to dry. When my son first got into scuba diving a few years ago I insisted that he learn with my old Force Fins. I have bought him other fins since but we both have a fondness for the force fins.

Still, I'd say that a torn fin is like a cracked LP or an unfaithful partner. You can try to patch it up, but you're probably better off replacing them. Happy diving and best wishes.

There has to be something unusual about how you use the fins that resulted in 3 pairs failing in the same manner. This would be true of any fin, but doubly so for FF which most of us find to be nearly indestructible. Mine are something like 40 years old (I've only had them for 5, but Bob was able to date the box they came in).

What booties are you wearing? How do you transport them? Is there a ladder you climb with the fins on? There just has to be something putting a bunch of stress on that one spot.

I am still attempting to decipher your clandestine photo

IMG_1138.jpeg

Come on you can tell us, your grand kids don't want you swimming, with sharks
so when you're not looking they put on your fins and jump out of the treehouse

I have four pairs, all over 20 yrs old. I don’t take any special care of them, but bar the scuffs, they look pretty much the same as when I got them. Unlike the OP, I’ve never been able to use them for snorkeling.

I agree with @lowwall - there’s something amiss with something here.

Честно говоря, я бы не стал пытаться их чинить, так как разрыв и на футляре, и на лезвии. Разрыв резко снизит тягу. Что вы обычно делаете, чтобы их обслуживать?
Glues firmly, used for rubberizing steel. Look on YouTube.

Attachments

• sc 4000.png
    sc 4000.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom