Taxi service near the airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back to the issue of differences between the airport and cruise ship pick up locations. People from cruiise ships may not be hauling all of their luggage, but a lot of them have dive bags, and most are carrying shopping bags, back packs, purses etc...

I just think the luggage difference isn't a valid reason to not allow taxis at the airport, and I see no reason the airport would have to charge a fee. Some airports might do it, but not most, including Grand Cayman.

I know this is not a huge deal, but it is an issue that comes to mind every time I'm booking a trip or getting off the plane. I like having the freedom to choose what's best for my situation, without having some business or union step in and take choices away to protect their personal interests. I'm all about letting the free market and competition decide. And I'm more than willing to walk a block or two with my light luggage to protect that choice on principal. :)
I think you take this (non)issue way too seriously. :D

Yeah it's not changing unless they think of a reason to change, and any such would cost more - you can count on that!

With all the luggage Don brings with him, he needs a whole shuttle just for his gear.:D
Yeah, he seems to go the opposite direction of me. Every time I head down, I seem to figure out more things I can do without. I pack pretty light these days. I have my dive bag that I carry on, minus the things that they won't allow in a carry on, and a small suitcase with room to spare inside in case I want to do a little shopping while I'm there. When walking to the car rental place, or to grab a taxi in this case, I strap my dive bag on top of my suicase and just roll it all along behind me. :)

Yeah, he seems to go the opposite direction of me. Every time I head down, I seem to figure out more things I can do without. I pack pretty light these days. I have my dive bag that I carry on, minus the things that they won't allow in a carry on, and a small suitcase with room to spare inside in case I want to do a little shopping while I'm there. When walking to the car rental place, or to grab a taxi in this case, I strap my dive bag on top of my suicase and just roll it all along behind me. :)

You're obviously not staying long enough when you come down. :cool2:

With all the luggage Don brings with him, he needs a whole shuttle just for his gear.:D
You would not get my home bud, me, and our bags into a regular cab! We'd have to wait for a taxi van and they are known to charge extra on bags at times.

Some years ago tho, a kid on Holbox got us and our 300+# and us both onto a golf cart somehow, and to our hotel. We kept him for the night to take us to dinner and back, even tho it was but a few blocks, as we were totally lost. Then we discovered the Op, who'd taken us diving at PDC that morning and insisted on taking care of Jerry's dive gear after I rushed ahead to watch for our rental car, had left all the lead in his BC!

Or doing enough. I dive and I fish, which is why a week just won't cut it for me, though I've had to cut back from two full weeks to just 10 days the past couple of years due to employment issues. But I don't fool with laundry while I'm on vacation, so I've at least got to have plenty of underwear, socks, and Tshirts. Every year I lay things out and cut back where I can, but the wife (I don't get into it with her about what she takes - part of a successful marriage) and I still had 3 50# pieces plus carry-on last time. It will probably be the same this year.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Do the math; if four full planes come in in rapid succession, like what happened when I arrived last year (on plane #3), that's a lot of people. A 737 holds over 200, so if that's what come in, that's 800+ people. If there are an average of 2 people per cab, that's over 400 cabs. The vans hold 15, so that's just over 50 trips. That's a much more efficient way to move a lot of folks out of a small area.

But it's all beside the point, isn't it? The situation is what it is. You can go with the flow or buck it. I've made my choice and hold no animosity for anyone who makes a different one. I just don't see the vans as anything nefarious or imposing. Sitting in close quarters with a bunch of happy excited people at the start of their vacations doesn't bother me one bit, I don't see getting to the hotel as a race, and eight bucks is not going to break me.

YMMV.
This argument won't "fly"!!!
4 planes? 200 passengers each? That' all?
How about 6 cruise ships docking in Cozumel? 3000 each?

If the cruise terminals can handle/allow taxis, then the airport can too!

It's just plain & simple: CORRUPTION by the taxi union (or whoever paid & enforces this silly rule)

This argument won't "fly"!!!
4 planes? 200 passengers each? That' all?
How about 6 cruise ships docking in Cozumel? 3000 each?

If the cruise terminals can handle/allow taxis, then the airport can too!

It's just plain & simple: CORRUPTION by the taxi union (or whoever paid & enforces this silly rule)

Whatever, dude. We disagree, and it's speculation on both our parts. It is what it is and it's fine with me. It's no big deal, either.

BTW, we in the US have no leg to stand on to cry CORRUPTION and point at Mexico.

...and you are taking this way too seriously. :D

Last edited:
No, I never feel like I'm staying long enough. :shakehead:

But as for packing light. I've been known to use the hotel shampoo to wash clothes in the bathroom sink and hang them out to dry on the balcony so I woudn't have to pack as much. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom