Taxi Mafia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been just twice and after the last trip and upon reading this I am definitely going pesos next time. And as mentioned one would think that the other business that depend on tourism would try to do something about the fleecing that goes on.

Or did you mean something else...??

Yes, only thing better than the 200 for 20 switcheroo is the infamous 500 for 50 switcheroo. Some of those Pemex attendants could give David Copperfield or David Blaine a run for there money. But hey, its only like $20 or $40 bucks they are stealing from you, relax... you're on vacation...chill out..

Crazy how the Mexicans weren't satisfied with the generosity of many Americans, known the world over for generous tipping for good service. Seems like it would be smarter to treat us like gold rather than steal us blind. Show me a happy, friendly, honest cab driver and a grumpy dishonest one and I have a hard time believing they don't both end up earning about the same amount of money, they just go about it differently.

Oh, fool the tourist by confusing him on their money. Tourist sites always have theft. Ever been to Vegas?

Anybody enjoy the 200 for 20 peso switcheroo game at the Pemex?

No, but I had a crew if 4 trying their best to distract me at a station north of Akumal years back. I get out and stand in front of the pump to make sure it's set to zero. THis upcoming trip to Coz is the the first time for taxis in Mexico, not looking forward to it but this is the 5th or 6th visit so I know what to expect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How about looking at the big picture. If taxis are your only means of transportation and you go into town everyday for dinner and shopping like I do and are staying a week that's 40 pesos x 2 X 7 = 560 pesos lost for the week. Maybe being overcharged 40 pesos doesn't bother you but what about 560 pesos. No matter how small the amount they all add up to a lot more you realize.

In the first place, nowhere near every cab driver every day is out to squeeze you. In the second place, if you let yourself get taken for 80 pesos a day every day by cab drivers, it's your own fault. Pay in pesos, carry small denomination bills and coins, find out what the fares should be, ask to see the card if you don't believe the charge, and ask ahead of time if you are unsure. If you don't care enough do do these easy things, then you don't care about the money; why should I? It's not my fight, sorry.

---------- Post added July 8th, 2013 at 06:52 PM ----------

Dude... You are LOST. It is not about why or how much.. it is about morality, honesty and professional business practice. Behavior like that gives all in that business a "black eye". A collective and organized attempt to defraud and misrepresent to perpetuate a crime is what "mafia" means.
"Dude", I am not lost. It's not my fight and it is most certainly (to me) about how much. If you want to go after every petty shady business practice you see, you are going to be a very busy and frustrated man.

Elsewhere I have outlined some very easy (and effective, by the way) steps to take to protect yourself from opportunistic cab drivers; do those things or do not, it's no skin off my nose. When I am on vacation (and even when I am not) I don't make it a crusade to get in arguments over pittances or try to get people to live by my standards. I'm not going to do it. YMMV.

"Dude", I am not lost. It's not my fight ....

Edmund-Burke-All-that-is-required-for-evil-to-triumph-is-for-good-men-to-do-nothing.png

Last edited:
In the first place, nowhere near every cab driver every day is out to squeeze you. In the second place, if you let yourself get taken for 80 pesos a day every day by cab drivers, it's your own fault. Pay in pesos, carry small denomination bills and coins, find out what the fares should be, ask to see the card if you don't believe the charge, and ask ahead of time if you are unsure....

True to a point, and I know, buyer beware. But it is unfortunate that there are many cabbies that DO try to "squeeze" tourists when they rely on those tourists for their living, and that we have to pay so much attention to detail to get a fair fare. It is what it it is, and when you DO get a good taxi driver, many of them are very friendly, helpful, and can make a good trip even better. Remember the cab number when you get one of those :)

Okay, let's leave the Mexican taxi driver's alone.. after all : They're just trying to make a living. You can afford it. They are poor. They are exploited by the taxi company( also known as 'the man' or 'el hombre'). They are hard workers. They aren't hurting anybody. They are victims. And most importantly, don't forget they are doing the work that Americans don't want to do. Choose whichever rationalization you like the best.

Back
Top Bottom