Tank Valve Feathering in a Free-Flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Truth of the matter is that we plan for TWO failures when diving overhead when you really think about it. If 1 tank goes, its cool because you have another with enough gas to get out. If the 2nd goes, you've got your buddy's gas accessible via longhose. On really sporty dives, there's enough gas in the water to completely loose your backgas and a few stages and STILL be ok.

All this talk about sharing the bungeed backup and feathering valves is fantasy land talk. Slurping AG and parroting what you think he said just makes you look worse and worse, Kev.

Buddy breathing is still taught at various levels for different agencies. I learned it in OW class in 2001 (YMCA) and afaik it's still an OW skill with SEI classes.

It's also a mandatory in-water skill for NAUI Master Diver and DM training.

That's your problem, Kevin ... you're unwilling to admit that there are things about dive training about which you're completely ignorant. You make assumptions based on nothing more than your own personal biases.
Gee Bob . . .I learned Buddy-breathing back way in 1997 in my BOW NAUI Class; as far as I know it's not taught in NAUI or PADI at the beginner level anymore and I don't know anything about SEI. But you're an Instructor Bob, and you know better about trivial administrative minutiae than I do.

If you knew the least thing about gas management and basic dive planning in overheads, you'd know the answer to that question. You plan for a catastrophic gas loss of one tank as part of your basic gas planning contingencies. Shut down the tank and get the heck out using the methods you've trained and practiced for. If a second catastrophic failure occurs, then by all means feather. That's a one in a million possibility.
Gee Bob maybe if you knew anything about overhead gas planning (in metric) in technical wreck diving, you should have contributed your expertise to this thread about a year ago: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/t2...ssure-lost-buddy-search-spg-calculations.html

Planning Modified Thirds and contingency execution on-the-fly is a lot more comprehensive --as I wrote & explicated in the link above-- rather than you just qualitatively stating the patently obvious consequence of "a single catastrophic loss of one tank". I can quantitatively apply my gas plan on-the-fly during a dive faster than you Bob, sitting at your laptop and going through your quaint tank & fill pressure tables.

Here's another one on fundamental gas planning (including Rock Bottom, Tank Matching and Rule-of-Halves):
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ad...-blind-rote-air-management-5.html#post7098699

And in any case, worst-case gas loss scenarios in an overhead have absolutely nothing to do with what you would do in basic open water situations ... the risk management strategies are just too different, and there are far simpler and more effective solutions available.

Applying overhead rules to open water diving may be applicable in some cases, but generally speaking you want to use the simplest, most reliable strategies to get you to the surface. Yours doesn't pass muster in that respect. The reason you had to do it in the example you keep citing is because you were a dumb-ass, solo diving without planning your contingencies properly ... and therefore had to resort to something that was less optimal because you didn't plan for the more optimal solution of having a redundant air source available.

My solution to that problem is simple ... don't do that.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
The simplest, most compelling and vital motivating ethos to learn Valve Feathering is again to never ever waste usable gas for yourself and/or your teammate, even on a non-fixable free-flow on single tank. If you as a novice OW diver don't have the ability to perform the technique --and are separated from your buddy-- then do the standard procedure of breathing the free-flowing reg while ascending to the surface.

Again to reiterate for you Bob: It's never really been discussed as a viable option for single tank diving because of its radical application as a solution, coming from advanced overhead & tech diving. But it makes sense looking at from an advanced diver perspective, and that's about as much as I'll concede with regards to the BOW argument and including Valve Feathering as a mandatory skill in any current agency's beginning Scuba course.

But hey it worked for me in a moment of graceful insight without ever practicing it before, figuring out the technique "OTJ" first time for real. My hope is for others who want to add this skill to their toolset, that they drill & practice it first getting the vital coordination down, before ever having to apply it for real.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 11:51 AM ----------

... and those who have no rational ability to defend their position turn to gratuitous insult ... even when they have to reach for something way off-topic like "moderators" ...

Your method doesn't pass the "effectively problem solve" test ... and yes, it's way above the OW level ... that's what we've been trying to tell you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Gee Bob I did it for real & survived . . . and by that fact it must have objectively passed the "effectively problem solve" test. I'm here alive writing about it and have been for the past 8 years since the incident. I can do it, why can't you??

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 11:52 AM ----------

... wrong part of the anatomy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah . . .you guys think & talk with scat rhetoric like that which comes out of what you sit on.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 08:50 PM ----------

. . . Slurping AG and parroting what you think he said just makes you look worse and worse, Kev.
Gee PfcAJ --then tell us by putting words in AG's mouth explaining exactly what he meant. Oh yeah, I remember correctly --you weren't in that Advanced Wreck Class in 2005 with Instructor Andrew Georgitsis.

Last edited:

Gee Bob I did it for real & survived . . . and by that fact it must have objectively passed the "effectively problem solve" test. I'm here alive writing about it and have been for the past 8 years since the incident. I can do it, why can't you??

I won't waste my time with the rest of your idiocy, but I will point out the obvious.

By your own admission you had more than 1200 dives and advanced technical training when you "did it for real & survived" ... and by any reasonable analysis of your description of the dive, you "did it for real and survived" because you were stupid enough to put yourself into a situation where something like that was your next best alternative ... which is not a real responsible approach to diving, to my concern.

Why do you believe that a student in their Basic Open Water class should have the same skills you did at more than 1200 dives and advanced technical training?

Kevin, that doesn't make any sense! I think you're either a terminal troll or suffering from narcissistic personality disorder. Either way I really hope no new diver reading ScubaBoard is ever gullible enough to take you seriously ... certainly none of the experienced divers on this board do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

In the face of new, sudden, novel or bewildering ideas & circumstances, that's where your understanding falls apart --so it's far more easier for y'all --GrimSleeper, PfcAJ and the rest of the rogues gallery-- to troll, obfuscate, deride and dismiss.

"Wisdom is the living marriage of Knowledge & Experience", and "Chance Favors the Prepared Mind" --and such scenarios/contingencies however unlikely & "sham" they may appear actually do provide critical insight that when properly applied under time pressure, can get you and a buddy out of an overhead wreck or cave and back to the surface . . .

Or de facto getting me back to the surface on an OW recreational dive even by just feathering a single-tank valve alone. (Never waste usable gas by "letting it bleed out" if you have the ability & effort to control it). . .

[QED & word to ya muthah, Holmes. . . !]

You really do have the reading comprehension of a breeze-block, don't you, Kev...

Been there, done it, would do it again if necessary/couldn't be bothered with any of the alternatives/just felt like it. Seen it attempted and go horribly wrong, too. I'm not in the least bewildered by the notion of feathering a tank valve. What I said in my first post was that teaching it is a stupid idea, especially at OW level. There are simpler solutions to any problem where feathering might apply, up to a level of diving where it shouldn't need to be taught.

On the other hand, while most of what you say is utter bollocks, you're one of the most consistently entertaining things about Scubaboard, so please do keep it up.

I won't waste my time with the rest of your idiocy, but I will point out the obvious.

By your own admission you had more than 1200 dives and advanced technical training when you "did it for real & survived" ... and by any reasonable analysis of your description of the dive, you "did it for real and survived" because you were stupid enough to put yourself into a situation where something like that was your next best alternative ... which is not a real responsible approach to diving, to my concern.

Why do you believe that a student in their Basic Open Water class should have the same skills you did at more than 1200 dives and advanced technical training?

Kevin, that doesn't make any sense! I think you're either a terminal troll or suffering from narcissistic personality disorder. Either way I really hope no new diver reading ScubaBoard is ever gullible enough to take you seriously ... certainly none of the experienced divers on this board do ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
No Bob . . .I'm not going stand for your "blame the victim" opinion. The only thing I may be guilty of in retrospect is doing a solo weightbelt lead check, assuming nothing can happen at such a shallow depth no more than 6m max, off the dive-ops dock in the warm crystal clear waters of Cozumel.

But a blown-out 2nd stage regulator cracking adjustment knob and assembly with a resulting unfixable catastrophic free-flow turned out to be an epiphany.

And so, if I can do it on demand without any previous training, and just applying what I read out of some newsgroup --why can't everyone else accomplish it with proper instruction, drill & practice?

Last edited:
The only thing I may be guilty of in retrospect is doing a solo weightbelt lead check, assuming nothing can happen at such a shallow depth no more than 6m max, off the dive-ops dock in the warm crystal clear waters of Cozumel.

But a blown-out 2nd stage regulator cracking adjustment knob and assembly with a resulting unfixable catastrophic free-flow turned out to be an epiphany.

Seriously? You rescued yourself all the way to the surface from 6m and that was an epiphany? You're trying to talk valve feathering up as a serious self-rescue option on the basis of something you did in 6m of water, where one good kick would have had you at the surface?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA etc.

Don't let 'em grind you down, Kev. You're priceless.

You really do have the reading comprehension of a breeze-block, don't you, Kev...

Been there, done it, would do it again if necessary/couldn't be bothered with any of the alternatives/just felt like it. Seen it attempted and go horribly wrong, too. I'm not in the least bewildered by the notion of feathering a tank valve. What I said in my first post was that teaching it is a stupid idea, especially at OW level. There are simpler solutions to any problem where feathering might apply, up to a level of diving where it shouldn't need to be taught.

On the other hand, while most of what you say is utter bollocks, you're one of the most consistently entertaining things about Scubaboard, so please do keep it up.
"If you can't keep up with the conversation... you better not try to join in at all." --Hannibal Lecter
Seriously? You rescued yourself all the way to the surface from 6m and that was an epiphany? You're trying to talk valve feathering up as a serious self-rescue option on the basis of something you did in 6m of water, where one good kick would have had you at the surface?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA etc.

Don't let 'em grind you down, Kev. You're priceless.
One good kick to the surface would be one big AGE for yourself GrimSleeper. . .

"If you can't
keep up with the conversation... you better not try to join in at all."

Yes. I don't agree with you because a psychotic psychiatrist is eating my brain as I type. Stupid of me not to notice.

Would that be argumentam ad Hannibal?

---------- Post added May 9th, 2014 at 01:52 PM ----------

One good kick to the surface would be one big AGE for yourself GrimSleeper. . .

Only if you held your breath, Kev?

And it's cheating not to admit you edited in that you'd quoted Hannibal. Ruins my smart-arsery.

Last edited:

If it's all old-hat for you, why can't or won't you easily teach it to novice divers? Else you must just be "trolling offal & haggis" all over yourself mate. . .

We need to get Kev and Foxfish into the same thread for some comic strip comedy.

OMG a SHARK

FEATHER DAMMIT.... FEATHER!!!!

:D

(can anyone here draw well enough to put that idea into a comic strip form?)

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom