Tank Valve Feathering in a Free-Flow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spanish motivational posters. The perfect proof.

Erm, yes. I've demonstrated breathing from a free-flowing regulator, and watched students do so, literally hundreds of times. I'd bet if you add in just Bob and Diver0001, it's into the thousands. Versus your data-set of one point. If you want to take the argument that way, you've so lost.

Knock yourself out. Nobody's claiming it can't be done. Nobody's saying you're not welcome to do it all you like. People are just saying it has no value as a taught skill, because there are simpler solutions to your proposed problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ah yes mate . . . that's a realistic and applicable solution to this particular free-flow problem. Demonstrate in swimming pool/confined or static open water breathing a free-flowing reg on your knees in maybe 3m or 4m depth at most, with a nice slow ascent to the surface --or as you alluded to earlier, just "stand up" to surface and demonstration over/problem solved.

Okay mate, you win every time with such a sham. . .

Ah yes mate . . . that's a realistic and applicable solution to this particular free-flow problem. Demonstrate in swimming pool/confined or static open water breathing a free-flowing reg on your knees in maybe 3m max depth at most, with a nice slow ascent to the surface --or as you alluded to earlier, just "stand up" to surface and demonstration over/problem solved.

Okay mate, you win every time with such a sham. . .

As opposed to your SIX METRE incredible self-rescue in the 'crystal clear waters off the dive-op's dock', or whatever it was?

Get a grip man.

As opposed to your SIX METRE incredible self-rescue in the 'crystal clear waters off the dive-op's dock', or whatever it was?

Get a grip man.

And "incredible first timer self-rescue" as opposed to Peter Steinhoff doing it as old-hat routine for reg freeze free-flows on single-tank in the icy waters of off-shore Scandinavian Peninsula.

That's the inspirational grip to get mate. . . . .

And "incredible first timer self-rescue" as opposed to Peter Steinhoff doing it as old-hat routine for reg freeze free-flows on single-tank in the icy waters of off-shore Scandinavian Peninsula.

I honestly don't know what you think you're trying to say any more, Kev, but as long as it makes you happy...

Actually, what he said was that they routinely shut down the post for reg freeze ... and that you can always feather if you need to. Note that he also mentions sharing air with a buddy.

Also note that Peter Steinhoff is not an OW student.

In practice, DIR (both GUE and UTD) teach switching to the backup reg as the first option, sharing air with a team mate as the second option ... and feathering as the last option. They don't even mention feathering as an option until you get to Tech 1.

What you're continuing to demonstrate, Kevin, is an incredible lack of comprehension for what you were taught ... and WHY you were taught it. That's what got you in trouble with your ratio deco application the time you bent yourself. I don't really care what you do to yourself ... clearly you didn't learn anything from it. But it bothers me a lot when you start promoting these practices on the internet. Some new diver might make the mistake of thinking you know what you're talking about.

What you're really doing is exactly what Peter Steinhoff is doing ... cyber diving, trying to impress readers on the internet with how awesome you are. That's why you name drop all the time. "Instructor Andrew" wouldn't be proud, I'm sure, to see his name associated with some of the stuff you write ... it looks bad when a former student so misapplies what he was taught that it demonstrates a complete lack of comprehension of the topic.

Feathering is a last-ditch tactic ... much like dropping your weights at depth. Resorting to it means you've either completely bollixed the dive or chosen to bypass better alternatives for problem resolution ... the ones "Instructor Andrew" actually allowed you to practice in class.

Suit yourself, Kevin ... it's your life and your choice. Just don't waste your time or ours when people point out to you that you're doing things the hard way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd like to run something by you, you all know that regs can fail and I've seen it's possible to completely eliminate this problem by not using a reg and breathing directly from a sidemount tank while feathering it. Not only there are no failure points, it's also cheaper and no need for any of those exercises of reg retrieval. I've tested it in my inflatable pool and it works perfectly.

Actually, what he said was that they routinely shut down the post for reg freeze ... and that you can always feather if you need to. Note that he also mentions sharing air with a buddy.

Also note that Peter Steinhoff is not an OW student.

In practice, DIR (both GUE and UTD) teach switching to the backup reg as the first option, sharing air with a team mate as the second option ... and feathering as the last option. They don't even mention feathering as an option until you get to Tech 1.

What you're continuing to demonstrate, Kevin, is an incredible lack of comprehension for what you were taught ... and WHY you were taught it. That's what got you in trouble with your ratio deco application the time you bent yourself. I don't really care what you do to yourself ... clearly you didn't learn anything from it. But it bothers me a lot when you start promoting these practices on the internet. Some new diver might make the mistake of thinking you know what you're talking about.

What you're really doing is exactly what Peter Steinhoff is doing ... cyber diving, trying to impress readers on the internet with how awesome you are. That's why you name drop all the time. "Instructor Andrew" wouldn't be proud, I'm sure, to see his name associated with some of the stuff you write ... it looks bad when a former student so misapplies what he was taught that it demonstrates a complete lack of comprehension of the topic.

Feathering is a last-ditch tactic ... much like dropping your weights at depth. Resorting to it means you've either completely bollixed the dive or chosen to bypass better alternatives for problem resolution ... the ones "Instructor Andrew" actually allowed you to practice in class.

Suit yourself, Kevin ... it's your life and your choice. Just don't waste your time or ours when people point out to you that you're doing things the hard way ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob, I had the time to problem solve with my knowledge base, and used an advanced technique applying it for a single tank/single breathing source supply with an unfixable free-flow; my comprehension AND execution were obviously very successful.

In regards to Ratio Deco and getting type I DCS: if you're doing multiple deep deco dives per day on consecutive weeks or more up to a month (which you've never done Bob), residual slow tissue inert gas loading & retention over that time reduces your margin of error and increases the chance of a type I event. It doesn't matter whether you're using deep air or standard gases; or either Ratio Deco, VPM, or Buhlmann Gradient Factors as deco algorithms. This is why UTD now teaches In-Water-Recompression as a method for treating simple type I symptoms. Oh yeah Bob for the record, here are my acute type I DCS events in eight years of overseas tech diving: 2008 Truk Lagoon Lt Shoulder (Table 6 Chamber Treatment); and Bikini Atoll 2013 Rt Arm (IWR).

Just because you like to harp epithets on these TWO INCIDENTS all the time in as many posts over the years doesn't make it a "voluminous" history of DCS, as you always allude to Bob.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2014 at 05:18 PM ----------

I'd like to run something by you, you all know that regs can fail and I've seen it's possible to completely eliminate this problem by not using a reg and breathing directly from a sidemount tank while feathering it. Not only there are no failure points, it's also cheaper and no need for any of those exercises of reg retrieval. I've tested it in my inflatable pool and it works perfectly.
Great application for your inflatable pool specialized type of technical diving. Kudos to you. . .

Last edited:
Bob, I had the time to problem solve with my knowledge base, and used an advanced technique applying it for a single tank/single breathing source supply with an unfixable free-flow; my comprehension AND execution were obviously very successful.

In regards to Ratio Deco and getting type I DCS: if you're doing multiple deep deco dives per day on consecutive weeks or more up to a month (which you've never done Bob), residual slow tissue inert gas loading & retention over that time reduces your margin of error and increases the chance of a type I event. It doesn't matter whether you're using deep air or standard gases; or either Ratio Deco, VPM, or Buhlmann Gradient Factors as deco algorithms. This is why UTD now teaches In-Water-Recompression as a method for treating simple type I symptoms. Oh yeah Bob for the record, here are my acute type I DCS events in eight years of overseas tech diving: 2008 Truk Lagoon Lt Shoulder (Table 6 Chamber Treatment); and Bikini Atoll 2013 Rt Arm (IWR).

Just because you like to harp epithets on these TWO INCIDENTS all the time in as many posts over the years doesn't make it a "voluminous" history of DCS, as you always allude to Bob.

Kevin, I've logged nearly twice as many dives as you in half as many years ... and never bent myself. And I've been reading your tales for years ... I don't think you've been on any dives that were any more challenging than some that I've done. So I'm not impressed by your awesomeness ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is why UTD now teaches In-Water-Recompression as a method for treating simple type I symptoms.

And the fact that he can make this statement without any apparent understanding of how utterly stupid it is is, kids, why you should run - as fast as possible - whenever Uncle Kev tells you something is clever.

Uncle Kev will now tell us why his diving experience is more awesome than everyone else's, etc. Yawn.

id love to meet this kevrumbo ...just to see if he talks this way in public i suspect not .............

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom