tank inspections & fill pre 1989 AL tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salt h20

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
im just curious how many states have adopted not to inspect or fill pre 1989 aluminum tanks? i know my home state of texas will still hydro/vip and fill these tanks. however recently i tried to fill some of these older type tanks in the florida keys and was denied. is this policy state mandated or is it up to the dive shop itself? what is your state or lds policy?

To the best of my knowledge this is a LDS policy and not a State issue.

My tank has an original hydro date on it of 3/83 and a current hydro as of 6/06, so I guess there's no problem here in Michigan. My recollection is that the hydro is a US Dept of Transportation regulation - not an individual state thing.

SparticleBrane:
To the best of my knowledge this is a LDS policy and not a State issue.
To my knowledge, that would be correct... but the number of places that will fill them is getting very small... I currently do not know of one. (covering 4 states)

Most of the shops around here will fill them including Beaver Aquatics in Campbell River that had a tank explode a couple of years back.

salt h20:
im just curious how many states have adopted not to inspect or fill pre 1989 aluminum tanks? i know my home state of texas will still hydro/vip and fill these tanks. however recently i tried to fill some of these older type tanks in the florida keys and was denied. is this policy state mandated or is it up to the dive shop itself? what is your state or lds policy?

At least one exception in TX is Gulf Diving. They will not fill those older tanks but if a diver shows up with one they will provide a boat tank. With divers on the deck while tanks are being filled, it is probably a good extra precaution.

Sea Divers will fill them, provided they service them. I've also had no problems with another shop down in FL filling them, though many are now refusing to.

Wayward Son:
Sea Divers will fill them, provided they service them. I've also had no problems with another shop down in FL filling them, though many are now refusing to.
Forgot about that one... thanks for pointing it out...

I have 3 1987 Luxfer aluminums, an 80 and a couple 100's.

George does a proper VIP+ on them & knows his stuff. If he says they're good, they're good.

I've got two, 3/88 & 11/83, not had any trouble getting mine filled in my area (Central Virginia) haven't heard of any shops refusing to fill either, I guess it takes a while for things to trickle north,

Back
Top Bottom