Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had done my snorkeling at the calm before the storm. By midnight rain just had started. Yes it was windy before that, but places I look at to snorkel were looking the best even with the wind last couple of days. It was like glass. Other times, there is a blow hole that shakes the ground with thunder when swell is big. The swell by this rock formation, I keep about 25 feet from as it goes in and a portion of it reflects back with a spray jet of water high above and loud rumble. It really had me worried to be near initially but it only just has a little surge and the crest lifts you up. The egrees I take seriously all the time. I may spend 20 minutes checking out wave sets. A dive master had impressed me with a time he noticed an hour between sets that went from mostly calm to 6 foot wave followed by another couple successively smaller. Then the wait was like an hour later repeating. I went under a 12 footer just in my windsurfing gear when wind shadow egress and unannounced timing happened. Clenching my mouth shut at the right time was something learned quick. I was tired out seriously after getting up on the beach but no injury at all. My sail a week later ripped unexpectedly for no reason, but then I thought of the material had been degraded from that wave pumuling. Some areas and times are good for various sports, but for instances some time, just good to look at.
Where is the blow hole? I wouldn’t mind seeing that.

Where is the blow hole? I wouldn’t mind seeing that.
It is between Pt Arena and Gualala at Hern Gulch. Gualala has one that is happening not as often just north of the river mouth. Maybe it faces a different way so swell direction deems if it happens. Taking a walk with tanks and lead I just won't do for a lot of places. Some places there is access by county park in Sonoma at the private communities you walk though to the beaches. I saw a 7 footer crashing in as I had walked all suited up a mile from parking lot. If I lived there that would be a setup. I thought maybe there was a spot in the cove I could try, but decided it would not be wise or even fun. Took in the sights and walked back.

There is also a small blowhole at the north entrance to Mendocino Bay west of Portuguese Beach, just east of the big through hole. It is best when the seas and the tide is up.

1663529363397.png

1173142E-F84E-43A9-8667-55EE63914097.jpeg

This is a great shore dive too, that slot just to the right of the land bridge, between the land bridge and Goat Island to the right. This is out on the Mendocino Headland.
There is a switch back trail around to the right of where I took this photo that goes down the bank and leads to a small protected gravel beach in the cove, or some people park out in the headland area hike over the land bridge and scamper down the rock. Right at the edge of the land bridge you can giant stride right into the water in the slot. It’s a vertical drop and about 40’ deep right there.
There is an old decommissioned sewer line that lays in that slot and heads out to sea. It’s a steady cascading drop down out to a gravel bed and the pipe ends in about 65’. As the pipe heads down the canyon there are all sorts of boulders and crazy terrain with some big 25 lb cabezon hanging out.

7BF32E30-9D54-4FEB-99CA-31A12D5C02C9.jpeg

Here is a shot of Caspar cove.
I headed up to Seal’s Water Sports’ urchin smashing event two weeks ago and just hung out on the beach with the dog. It was a beautiful day, about 68 degrees, slight breeze. I hung out all day because inland it was over 100.
The smashing was done on the left side of the cove where they have orange buoy markers planted.

View attachment 744333
This is a great shore dive too, that slot just to the right of the land bridge, between the land bridge and Goat Island to the right.
There is a switch back trail around to the right of where I took this photo that goes down the bank and leads to a small protected gravel beach in the cove, or some people park out in the headland area hike over the land bridge and scamper down the rock. Right at the edge of the land bridge you can giant stride right into the water in the slot. It’s a vertical drop and about 40’ deep right there.
There is an old decommissioned sewer line that lays in that slot and heads out to sea. It’s a steady cascading drop down out to a gravel bed and the pile ends in about 65’. As the pipe heads down the canyon there are all sorts of boulders and crazy terrain with some big 25 lb cabezon hanging out.

I pulled some nice abalone around the corner to the right, and spent some time playing with a seal pup there. One day I was exploring there and dropped down there in front of a couple of guys on scuba and surprised the crap out of them at 40' or so. They were from Eureka and didn't expect anything big, or close, or not on scuba. Had a good laugh, and beer with them when we met later in the parking lot.

Good fun.

Yes, for the more experienced diver. In my day there were still abalone, so it was all free diving at Albion, Timber Cove, the lighthouse and Ft Bragg. Eric Sedletzky provided an excellent decription. As I recall, 8 foot viz was considered good.
8’ is pretty mediocre. 15 or 20 is good vis. Over that is excellent.
3’ was good enough for a meat run for abalone provided the surge wasn’t crazy. Mendocino County always seems to have better vis that Sonoma.

I get 20-40' sometimes.
Then again, if it's been windy it can stir up stuff.

I still need to dive out along the sewer pipe. I've always seemed to be there when it's a bit rough.

Yes, outside VanDamme has some cool walls. And so does Russian Gulch.

Using a DPV up there is the way to go as you can cover a heck of alot of distance.

I get 20-40' sometimes.
Then again, if it's been windy it can stir up stuff.

I still need to dive out along the sewer pipe. I've always seemed to be there when it's a bit rough.

Yes, outside VanDamme has some cool walls. And so does Russian Gulch.

Using a DPV up there is the way to go as you can cover a heck of alot of distance.
I’ve been thinking of building my own scooter..

Back
Top Bottom