Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milkman-scuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys! I recently took a job in the fort bragg area and was wondering if people still dive this area. This place was always a bit of a second home to me as I made made my way through the Humboldt State University dive program as this was a common dive destination. However, since my graduation I heard the legendary Subsurface Progression dive shop (the only one in the area) closed. If someone knows about any information where I might be able to fill or rent tanks in the area that would be great because I'd love to be able to dive while I'm in the area. Also looking for dive buddies and/or spearfishing buds. Thanks!

As far as I know nobody has taken up doing fills up in Mendo - yet.
You would have to have a gang of tanks ready to use then plan a day trip to Santa Rosa and get them all filled at Seal’s Watersports. Maybe do some freediving and a tank dive here and there to make them last?
Mendocino County has some of the best diving in the area AFAIK. The span between Albion and Mendocino is my favorite stretch along the coast.
Some of it requires a boat to get to though like Colby Reef and all the pinnacles just south of Vandamme.
Mendocino Headlands is also an awesome shore dive - the channel just to the right of the land bridge.

Darn was really looking forward to scuba diving the mendo area again. I guess it's freediving for now until i take the trip up to humboldt to scuba dive. Thanks for the help guys!

i have a friend in Fayetteville that has a compressor , i can reach out to see if he wants to sell air ....

I dove Russian Gulch State Park a couple of weeks ago. Not great conditions that day, but I'll go back another time.

I went with Marin Diving Center in San Rafael. I believe they do other North Coast dives. You can rent tanks from them and they'll bring them to the dive spot. Same with other gear.

Get on their "fun dive" mailing list to stay in the loop. No charge for the dives.

I dove Russian Gulch State Park a couple of weeks ago. Not great conditions that day, but I'll go back another time.

I went with Marin Diving Center in San Rafael. I believe they do other North Coast dives. You can rent tanks from them and they'll bring them to the dive spot. Same with other gear.

Get on their "fun dive" mailing list to stay in the loop. No charge for the dives.
Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa also does free fun dives and rents tanks. SR is a little closer.

I dive up in Ft Bragg a couple times a year.
Yes, I cram about 4-6 tanks in the car or have other carry as well.

I prefer Russian Gulch for the ease of access.

I dive with a DPV, which let's me get way, way out there.
The DPV has opened up far greater ground that I can cover.
It makes a huge difference.

Attached below is a map of Russian Gulch.

Attachments

• RussianGulch_Bathv2.docx
    849.1 KB · Views: 190

Back
Top Bottom