Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jennifer at Seal’s Water Sports is doing a shop fun dive this coming Sunday at Van Damme State Park beach if any of you are interested. I might make it up and do some urchin removal.

This brings back old memories, I used to freedove ft Bragg about 20 years ago for ab’s and spear fishing, I’ve heard the aquatic life has changed.

This brings back old memories, I used to freedove ft Bragg about 20 years ago for ab’s and spear fishing, I’ve heard the aquatic life has changed.
No more ab diving now for 6 years?
Not much kelp left from what I understand. I have not been up there in years, but I hear the purple urchin problem has severely affected that area as well.
No more Sub Surface Progression dive shop.

I used to take my kayak out and dive the wall outside of the keyhole rock. There are cool sand channels at the base that are 118’ - 120’ deep.
It’s a great dive.

Yes, the wall outside of Keyhole Rock at Van Damme is on my list. With a DPV I can get out there from shore.

While the diving up in Mendocino lacks the once abundant Kelp, there are still fish and lots of Urchins.
Still the diving is cool.

At Russian Gulch I find old Anchors, chain, driver's license (not sure how it got all the way outside of Russian Gultch in 60ft) & schools of fish.
The fish come out to check me out on the DPV. I always look over my shoulder looking for that Grey Guy....

Snorkeling off Gualala CA coast today using drysuit. Very nice, vis about 15ft. Probably not good vis for photography though. Maybe macro. I did not use weights. Only surface looking down at rockfish, crab, super bright orange sea stars. Used the neck seal on drysuit prior to putting hood on for enough air for undergarments to be comfortable and was only perspiration in the suit, very warm. Some places access close to water without hike are minimal. Tank diving at other fee areas to explore. Russian Gulch SP is ok, would probably surface swim out to deeper water. Less than 15 foot near beach vis was not good last time till I was in 25 foot. It does not drop off very quickly there.

I thought Ft. Bragg was in NC and only offered skydiving. You learn something new every day.

Snorkeling off Gualala CA coast today using drysuit. Very nice, vis about 15ft. Probably not good vis for photography though. Maybe macro. I did not use weights. Only surface looking down at rockfish, crab, super bright orange sea stars. Used the neck seal on drysuit prior to putting hood on for enough air for undergarments to be comfortable and was only perspiration in the suit, very warm. Some places access close to water without hike are minimal. Tank diving at other fee areas to explore. Russian Gulch SP is ok, would probably surface swim out to deeper water. Less than 15 foot near beach vis was not good last time till I was in 25 foot. It does not drop off very quickly there.
I was debating yesterday whether or not to go up to Stillwater Cove Park today. The report called for 20 kt. Winds and gusts up to 35 kts. with wind waves 5’-6’ and a 2’ south swell.
I decided it was probably too sloppy so I passed.
Sounds like I might have blown it?
But gas at $5.59 a gallon I decided to save my $40 round trip and wait for a better day.
Rain coming in, and to think a few weeks ago it was 117 degrees!

I thought Ft. Bragg was in NC and only offered skydiving. You learn something new every day.

Ft Bragg CA was an army garrison from 1855–1867 to deal with the indians in the area, and the town that developed around it kept the name.

Ft Bragg NC base was established in 1918.

Both were named after General Braxton Bragg.

Back
Top Bottom