Tampa road trip, 9/12 - 9/13, Boynton & Ft Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, a quick update on the ocean after the far miss by Ike. We had some prolonged and powerful winds coming from the easterlies, which normally brings in blue water, however Ike must have churned things up south of us enough that we're getting pretty bad viz despite the easterly winds. I just took a look at the inlet to see if a trip tomorrow was feasible. Vis from the beach to about 100 yards offshore was less than 1 foot, whitish green. As I looked farther and farther offshore, the water did eventually get greener and greener, but not much. Well offshore, I did see some nice blue water, but I'm gonna estimate that it's about 600 feet deep at the green/blue color change. My best estimate for viz on the reef is 10-15'. I'll look again tomorrow and keep you guys updated, but right now it's not looking good for diving, at least for today and tomorrow.

I called Parrot Island (Pelican for MissD:wink:) and the guy I spoke to said vis is 30'-35' at 100ft. So it will be worse than that shallower. I bet there is no vis in the Gulf. Venice is mostly likely a no go for this weekend. I'd much rather be on the east coast at this point. :D

Hey gang! Please don't hate us east coasters for our crummy conditions here this weekend. I've attached a post from ScubaKev's Boynton Dive Chronicles, telling you pretty much the same thing you heard from Parrot Island. That being said, it's still looking better than Venice. Sorry! :depressed:

Short story please!! :popcorn:

short story? he was alll gung ho about this trip and supposed to dive with us. Had the nerve to quietly back out after giving MissD a hard time about not making the M&G at the last minute. I figured he better have a good excuse but instead he is talking about diving in Venice???!! hhmmmppphhh

short story? he was alll gung ho about this trip and supposed to dive with us. Had the nerve to quietly back out after giving MissD a hard time about not making the M&G at the last minute. I figured he better have a good excuse but instead he is talking about diving in Venice???!! hhmmmppphhh

How dare he!! :D It sucks to be him this weekend!! :mooner::wink::D

How dare he!!!! :)

Why, that he, would be me! I know you guys will have fun!

I will be doing no diving this weekend.

And............. I have no idea about the MissD thing. I, am a victim of circumstance!

* insert a Three Stooges, Curly Sound affect *

- Boats

Well, I stopped at the beach on the way out of work, and while it was a little bit better than it looked this afternoon, it still isn't looking too hot. I'd have to say that either the webcam is a bit misleading, or that it got better and then worse again by the time I got out of work. I'm still gonna estimate vis on the reef in the 15' range right now.

I was going to try to sneak out and go diving myself in the morning, but I think at this point I'll just sleep in. I'll check again tomorrow and give another update.

This is the latest from Kev in Boynton Beach.

Tanks needed for Sat

Larry- 2 nitrox
MissD- 2 nitrox
Ann- 2 nitrox
III- 2 nitrox

Sam- 2 Air
Fletch- 2 Air
Jet- 2 Air

Last edited:
Good morning Tamponians! Can't speak for the viz, but here's how the rest is looking right now:

netcam.jpg

Coastal Waters From Jupiter Inlet To Deerfield Beach, Fl Out 20 Nm-

Waters From Jupiter Inlet To Deerfield Beach, Fl Extending From

20 Nm To 60 Nm-

Forecast as of 4:01 am EDT on September 12, 2008

Small craft should exercise caution this morning

Today... East winds 15 to 20 knots becoming 10 to 15 knots in the afternoon. Seas near 4 feet. Intracoastal waters choppy in exposed areas. Isolated showers.
Tonight... East winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Isolated showers.
Saturday... East winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Isolated showers.
Saturday Night... Northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. Isolated showers and thunderstorms.

Tamponians? I guess it's better than being called Tampons!!!! Boats, what the heck did you get yourself into, man? Your going to piss off Jess and MissD. NOT a wise idea man!!! I've checked on the vis for Venice and it's not worth the gas to drive down there. I had a friend offer to let me suit up in his pool if I want to dive this weekend. That's probably the best option in the area...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom