Talk about anything but local dive shops in Arizona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe it's just jargon. The only way to obtain a permit is to have a legitimate scientific reason for diving it...and lots of money! The B29 had something called a sunfinder (I think, it was sun-something) on it. That's what they called it, anyway. Supposedly it was used for weather forecasting. Not that my opinion counts, but I think it had nothing to do with weather. Probably more of a spy radar. Who knows? Anyway, after several dives on it, including with ROVs, no one has been able to find the sunfinder. Personally, I think the crew grabbed it before ejecting and the restriction is unnecessary. Unfortunately, no one is letting the NPS in on this, so it's restricted!

Any one know where I can get a NON-isolating manifold locally? i.e. a single yoke with dual valves. Or I guess a single yoke, single valve with dual tank fittings would work also right?

I want to dive doubles to be able to increase my shallow water bottom time for filming. I'm not really into the whole multiple bungied regs idea. I consider myself a minimalist sport diver, i.e. I don't carry a lot of redundant gear (it's my funeral...) But otoh, I'm willing to spend for the best quality I can find.

I already have a Zeagle Ranger so I can mount the tanks. And I'm only looking for a manifold and tank bands that I could travel with and use with rental tanks to build a set of doubles on location in warm water dive destinations.

Does such a thing even exist? Suggestions?

thx,

...I'm only looking for a manifold and tank bands that I could travel with and use with rental tanks to build a set of doubles on location in warm water dive destinations.

Does such a thing even exist? Suggestions?

thx,...

According to your description I would assume that a "Solid Bar yoke" or as previously called a "Pig tail"-I have not consulted the current catalogs but would probably place a bet that they are no longer produced or marketed.

They were produced for about 50 years by most diving manufactures and should be avaliable on the used market.

The "solid Bar yoke" is just that a solid bar that connects two cylinders with a very solid bar with a gas outlet in the middle. It is made for the smaller tank configurations and will mate perfectly.

The "Pig tail" has the same configuration but with a twist in the connection assembly which allows for expansion and contraction and mating with just about any size cylinder.

My choice would be the Pig tail and bands.

Source; older dive shops, like the one in Mesa, (Gene will know what you are describing) E bay, and suggest that you advertise in www.vintagedoublehose.com or my son, SDM,IV who currently an ER doctor residing Kingman and had a supply of them.

Bands--E bay or vintage double hose. As I recall, some one on that board was making SS band and retro basket harnesses

good luck with you pictures!

SAM MILLER, California

Dive-aholic:
...What I think you want is more of a vintage item. Try ebay vintage.

Probably a very obvious addition to Rob's post, but make sure you get anything purchased on "the Bay" serviced by a qualified tech if you intend to use it. Especially life support equipment.

According to your description I would assume that a "Solid Bar yoke" or as previously called a "Pig tail".
That's exactly what I was looking for. Something to join two tanks with a minimum of fuss and preferably without having to replace the tank valves.

A quick search on eBay found a pigtail for $80 and a Solid Bar Yoke (but it only fits narrow neck tanks). I'd prefer a Solid Bar Yoke for standard neck tanks over a pigtail - did they make such a thing? - with a set of "universal" bands and I'll have a setup I can take with me on trips that will allow me to "build" a set of doubles from two standard tanks if necessary.

Has anyone ever seen a Solid Bar Yoke that will fit the neck of a modern tank valve?

I guess another other option would be to buy a new Din/Yoke Isolation manifold and have it installed on tanks at my destination along with my bands, Use a metal "Din plug" to seal off the Din valve then use my yoke regulator on the other side.

How well does a Yoke to Din screw in adapter work? If I found a diveshop that already had tech duals at my destination, I could use it on one side for my yoke reg and seal the other with a din plug, then (assuming the bands lined up) I could mount that to my Ranger. Or swap the bands for mine that would have the proper spacing.

Are din fittings standard across manufacturers?

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be looking for this over the next couple of months so if anybody sees anything please send a PM.

azcaddman:
OMS makes a set of "travel bands" for strapping 2 tanks together, looks like you could make one yourself, and save some $ though, they want $185 for it
That does seem a little steep. Any idea why it says in the description:
To be used only with independent doubles.

that means NO manifold (one regulator per tank, 1 pressure guage per tank etc), the 'slop' in using the straps would put a lot of stress on the manifold, allowing it to turn & flex (or try to). where the steel bands hold the tanks in a much more rigid configuration.

Back
Top Bottom