Talk about anything but local dive shops in Arizona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

originally posted by Dive-aholic
It went down in the 50s unexpectedly. It was found a few years ago. The NPS is still looking for some classified equipment on it. They haven't found it yet. Personally I think the equipment was retrieved in the 50s, but that information just isn't known, even to the NPS. They have sent divers to it, including John Chatterton and Richie Kohler, along with a ROV. No luck finding it. I've heard people are sneak diving it, so there's no telling what's been looted there.

I was wondering what people's thoughts were on John Chatterton and Richie Kohler. I mean, I read that Shadow Divers book but oddly all other information I've heard through the grapevine on them has been a little less than pleasant. I'm sure I could just as easily google them but that takes effort... haha :p thanks!

KazInAz:
We have a 'connection' in Bonaire for the Windjammer...a DIRF instructor down there with his own boat that we dove with this fall.

Kaz
Who? Benji from Caribbean Gas? Out of BD&A? I've dove with them but not him. Nice people. I've heard the Windjammer is remarkably well preserved - Some recent photos here

Dive-aholic:
The technodivers set up is probably your best bet. You could probably even make one of those yourself if it's too pricey (the shop page isn't working right now so I can't see the price). The Tucson shops don't sell anything technical, so don't bother even looking there.
It's $399. So I'm still looking for other options. But I do like the flexibility of the hose so that I'm not so tied to using solid bands.

Even I wouldn't dive with anything I made....:D

Steve,

Call these guys: http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/gas_stuff/catalog_gas.html

They could probably build you something, and maybe for a little less. I bought my whip from them. They make good products.

FoundNemoTastedGood:
I was wondering what people's thoughts were on John Chatterton and Richie Kohler. I mean, I read that Shadow Divers book but oddly all other information I've heard through the grapevine on them has been a little less than pleasant. I'm sure I could just as easily google them but that takes effort... haha :p thanks!

John and Richie didn't write Shadow Divers. They were just the subject of the book. They do a lot of PR for the industry. Their show was fairly popular. They also attend lots of fund raisers and support things like Matt's dream to dive. I'm not sure what information you've heard, but I'm guessing it's regarding the book and not necessarily them.

sjspeck:
Who? Benji from Caribbean Gas? Out of BD&A? I've dove with them but not him. Nice people. I've heard the Windjammer is remarkably well preserved - Some recent photos here

Yes, Benji. We dove with him twice while we were there (just him, not his shop). Great guy and willing to hook us up with whatever we wanted. Did the Salt Pier with him, awesome dive. We found a 6 ft nurse shark. Benji says he's never seen them on that side of the island before. Pretty cool dive. Looking forward to returning soon.

Kaz

The techno divers hardware, would allow you to use 1 first stage, and thru a series of blocks & hoses, connect it to 2 tanks, this takes care of the air delivery part, but you would still need either the oms, or other company's 'travel bands' to strap the tanks together, and attach them to your plate/bc .. so in all, its around $500 from what I see. I think you'd be much better off learning to use a stage bottle setup, with its own regulator.

I like the portability factor using the Techno gear. Cost is not really an issue for me currently. However Rob(dive-aholic) just sent me a link to a dual tank manifold adapter on Ebay that I've bid on, if I get it, all I'll need is a set of bands and maybe the Zeagle adapter. I have an LTD so it has the long straps.
I think you'd be much better off learning to use a stage bottle setup, with its own regulator
You may be right but I absolutely don't want to sling a tank. I'd consider independent doubles but only strapped to my back.

I did find several people selling valves/manifolds on eBay, both vintage and newer so I'm not buying the Techno stuff just yet until I see if there's a better option. Although the flexibility of it does appeal to me, with the OMS or similar soft bands for travel since 99% of my diving is a flight away - I even flew to San Carlos last month.

sjspeck:
You may be right but I absolutely don't want to sling a tank. I'd consider independent doubles but only strapped to my back.

For the sake of a good discussion, I'd be interested in hearing why you prefer not to sling a tank?
I do know someone who hates to sling a tank cuz she finds it bulky and in the way and feels task loaded (no, not me, I love extra tanks)
Just curious as to your reasons.

Kaz

FoundNemoTastedGood:

I met both of them at DEMA this year. Richie was very approachable and talkative. John was, well ... a bit less. Interesting note, while Iwas talking to Richie, even he was ragging on John about his anti-social attitude (it seemed all in good fun).

I imagine at a show like DEMA those two get marauded by people.

They were pitching their new video magazine.
http://www.diveportaldvd.com/
It was pretty cool.

jcf

Back
Top Bottom