Talk about anything but local dive shops in Arizona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy:
So what are some of the AZ must-dive sites? Anything that I would have heard of?
San Carlos, MX., San Diego, LA/Orange County :D. (j/k)

I don't know if any diving in Arizona can be accused of being a must-dive :wink: If you wanna get wet we have accomodations, it it's a must dive you want keep heading west.

-Garrett

Dive-aholic:
The only must dive site is Lake Mead, more easily accessible from the Nevada side - the B29. It is restricted right now, so we'll have to wait. Of course the water level is dropping so much, we'll be able to hike to it by the time the restriction comes off. :wink:
Why is the B29 restricted? Depth? Politics? what's the story?

do it easy:
Why is the B29 restricted? Depth? Politics? what's the story?

It went down in the 50s unexpectedly. It was found a few years ago. The NPS is still looking for some classified equipment on it. They haven't found it yet. Personally I think the equipment was retrieved in the 50s, but that information just isn't known, even to the NPS. They have sent divers to it, including John Chatterton and Richie Kohler, along with a ROV. No luck finding it. I've heard people are sneak diving it, so there's no telling what's been looted there.

JBRES1:
My Mom lives is Sun City Grande. ( Phoenix area)
Thanks, Jim Breslin

Lake Pleasant will be the closest to where you'll be. Get with Garrett (shark.byte.usa).

JBRES1:
My Mom lives is Sun City Grande. ( Phoenix area)
Thanks, Jim Breslin

Depending on when you are here, I might be up for a dive.

jcf

Pro - when you buy a BC off of eBay with one, you can usually yank it off and re-sell it to recoup some of the cost of the BC.

CON - when you grab it in a panic OOA, there is a chance you'll also grab the "inflate" button with your palm (as in the ill-designed SeaQuest) and also become a missle (as my wife did moments before we sold her POS air-integrated rocket launcher....)

---
Ken

Hey guys, This is good stuff.

I have been toying with the thought of writing an article on OOA procedures with an Integrated Alt Air. In fact, I spoke with DTMAG, they thought it was a great idea and said they were going to include it in next year's editorial calendar -- although they online let staff writers contribute :(

Keep it balanced, pros and cons !!!!!

Anyone who posts, gets credit.

jcf

Dive-aholic:
There's training for Integrated Alt Air?!?!? j/k

Funny ...

Dive-aholic:
where were your diving that you got down to 105?

Off a boat. Sandbar/Island just North(ish) of the old dam. Visibility was over 20 feet in shallows.

Dive-aholic:
The only must dive site is Lake Mead, more easily accessible from the Nevada side - the B29. It is restricted right now, so we'll have to wait. Of course the water level is dropping so much, we'll be able to hike to it by the time the restriction comes off. :wink:

Funny thing you wrote that....a boat that was at 40' in April was at 23' in Sept. We are also waiting to dive the B29, but other than that we have not found Lake Mead diving stimulating. I read that you travel to Las Vegas and dive, is that shore or boat diving. I have to say that Lake Mohave is by far the better shore diving.

Leigh Ann and Mario

Back
Top Bottom