Taking my Pets to Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the gear info, thats what ill do settle in and poke around to see whats what. Its mostly just my PC & software, guitar and a few odds and ends. Sides ill be too busy diving and hoping my cats dont mess on my dive gear in retaliation :)

Have you joined the Yahoo group Roatan? It covers all the Bay Islands and there is a lot of information about bringing your pets to the island- and lots of people who have done it and will be happy to help you.
I work for an airline and see animals who traval all the time- I don't recommend sedation unless there are no other options- it can suppress their respiration and if it wears off in mid flight can contribute to panic and disorientation- but talk to your vet- heartworm meds are a great idea and of course all vaccines. I hear there is a good vet on Utila, but Roatan is still hoping to attract a full time vet. Good luck, and keep us updated on your move!

Thanks mjnansen for the Roatan group info, will sign in to that 4 sure. Agree with you on no sedation, one of the boys will be a pro, other will be a little nervous, but ok, biggest thing that i dont like is they cant travel together in same box, i think that would help their comfort bigtime.

Am seeing vet on friday for final just in case checkup, will get some flea pills and look into what they have for heartworm, funny didnt think cats got them, is that a tropical thing?

things seem to be lockin in, SOSA will go direct from SAP to Utila. Now its time to make my travel agent work for the $$$ :)

since you work for an airline, maybe you know if travel agents can pull any clout if a hotel reservation gets messed up, or flight gets bumped/delayed? I keep hearing how you have to confirm and reconfirm specially with SOSA, im a little worried about no hotel waiting for me in Miami or SAP.

When you check your cats in at the airline counter ask if they can load them facing each other- most airlines try their best to accomadate these type of requests and it may be nice for your cats to see each other- I know that I have received this request before, and I have gone out to personally make sure it was done.
Sadly, travel agents no longer have much influence on the airline industry- your best bet is always to call and confirm reservations yourself. I can not tell you how many passengers are told that they have pre-reserved seats only to find out that the travel agent didn't enter it correctly into the system- the ticketing agent then has to explain why you are in a middle seat 20 rows away from your companion on an oversold flight- not fun for anyone!
Your hotel in Miami should be easy to check on. Where are you staying in SAP? I really like the Microtel near the airport, but it's pretty far from town. In SAP the Gran Sula is nice too.
The Yahoo group is going to great for you as it is filled with lots of ex-pats that live on the islands or go back and forth. It is also a great way to become aquainted with the people who will be your neighbors!
Make sure when you pack up the cats you put a bags of their food and a bottle of water on the top of their crates (in a ziplock, taped is usually just fine). Also make a name tag for each of the kennels with the cats name. Whenever possible we talk to the animals and using their name can help keep them calm. My office is overlooking the ramp and I often have pets wait with me to keep them from the heat/cold and noise of the ramp. Heartworm is something cats get, but it is not common where I am for cats- the same medicene I give my dog is also acceptable for cats. You will want to set up a mail account at Jackson or Hyde and you can get most meds online this way. Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes!

JohnTalbot:
Am seeing vet on friday for final just in case checkup, will get some flea pills and look into what they have for heartworm, funny didnt think cats got them, is that a tropical thing?

As I mentioned in a previous post it is not as common in cats as dogs but....since you will be in an area (the tropics) where mosquitos are in abundance I would feel safer knowing my cat was on a preventive. I am sure your vet will fill you in. You can google cats and heartworms and get a lot of info..here is just one link http://www.animalclinic.com/FEHEARTW.htm

I never would have thought about the facing each other thing, we are so thankful for all the smart helpul people on this forum, especially you, and its nice to hear how much care you take with the pets you deal with in work, as im sure lots of airline staff do. Lets face it many of us have pets, and its not hard to see a little of our pets in others, but some people are not so nice.

So lots of good karma to you and yours, will keep everyone posted, as im sure ill still have questions. Would like to say SOSA airlines is the first ive dealt with that will let me bring my two behemoths in the plane, thats Bay Island hospitality for ya :)

Moving animals can be an adventure. When my wife and I got married she brought her cat from Rio to Houston. Cat had never been out of an apartment and spent its time mostly in the window. In Houston it had a big yard to play in. Had to have it fixed immediately. A few years later it got mauled to death by two dogs that got loose in the neighborhood. At least the cat wasnt in an apartment

My father-in-law is an American who livesnear La Ceiba on the coast. Make sure you bring Revolution, and Advantage, or whatever your vet recommends. It is hard to get these there and you will need it. Keep the cats indoors if possible they will get sick if you don't take preventative measures. You will hate the vet bill and any uneccesary kitty stress.
As for shipping it is cheaper to buy a large bag and bring it with you. Airlines will allow you to pay extra for excess baggage. This is far cheaper than shipping which is extremely unreliable and slow.
SPS to LaCeiba you will be driving forever. The roads are not good and it will take you forever. I don't think the charter would be a problem, but I know the drive is not good. A cab would not be the way to go.

shelgreb:
My father-in-law is an American who livesnear La Ceiba on the coast. Make sure you bring Revolution, and Advantage, or whatever your vet recommends.

My vet in Siguatepeque sells both Advantage and Frontline. So does the agricultural supply store down the road from the vet. A BIG problem here on the mainland where I am is tick infestations. In spite of keeping the yard weed free, using Frontline on the dogs, and keeping them only on our property, I still had a dog pick up ticks and develop Tick Fever (erlichiosis) - which has lead to chronic hepatitis, anemia, glaucoma, and fluid retention. He's on iron supplements, folic acid supplements and Lasix (diuretic) injections.

I have a friend on Roatan who has tried all the tick meds and says that advantix (or advanticks? not sure on spelling) is the only one that keeps of the Honduran ticks- I think you can get it online from one of the pet med sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom