Taking my Pets to Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You only have 1/2 of the story.

Find out IN ADVANCE where you have to go for this payment and inspection. As late as a few years ago this all had to occur in Tegucigalpa, there is/was no facility for this in the Bay Islands.

KNOW IN ADVANCE what the rules are for re-importation into the US. I think you will find the return paperwork much easier to find, anticipate and complete... but you had better know about it in advance. I am sure it is much more technically demanding than Honduran inbound.

We have three cats, members of our family. Three months in paradise is just not worth the risk of exposing them to such temptations... not in our mind. We have kitty care that visits twice a day. They sit, comfortably at home, oblivious to our absence. Kitty care plays with them and they see her as alternate food source . Leave them home.

Shiiping freight after? You have to be dreaming. You mightbe able to ship freight in advance. Contact Jackson Shipping in Tampa.

I moved a cat twice. At least in my case, cats take a while to adapt to a new home. It's like she was pissed at me and on three different days, crapped on my buddies dive gear (talked about pissed...we finally figured out that tomato juice took out the smell after trying all soaps), the couch and my rain coat. After about a week she calmed down. Then I moved her down to Placencia and she disappeared. I think I see her around but she's gone wild. Maybe it was the boat ride....

Hi

Roatan Man is correct about all the paperwork and do not forget that it all has to be completed in Spanish.

I am not sure now if you are moving here for good or is it just a few months, I was under the impression it was a permanent move.

Apart from Jackson Shipping in Tampa there is Hyde/Hyber in Miami if you use these contact Juan LLambes if you PM me I can give you telephone number etc if you cannot find it, I use them for shipping things here.

As for shipping things down after I do not know what it is like from the USA but I moved here from England and 3 months after I arrived I shipped all my belongings here to Honduras.

I must admit a few boxes went missing but luckily nothing important.

I'm with Steve on this one. Shipping into Honduras can be a bit tricky. Your best bet is to come on down, settle in, talk to the local operators & see who they use. Chances are, they've tried everyone & know who has the quickest, most reliable service.

PS: Figuring a month from shipping to arrival/clearing customs.... is not unheard of.

JohnTalbot:
Good tips, all of you, thanks. In case anyone's looking to bring cats to Honduras, here's what i had to go through in paperwork. Like DeepBlue said, they needed their shots, a certificate saying so, which had to be notarized, then sent to the Honduran embassy for Foreign Affairs to approve and write and stamp an approval letter at 85$US each cat.

Be nice to see you also DeepBlueDivers when i get there, i'm sure you know whats what on Utila, i'll try not to bury you in questions. :) lol

When we drove down, we had to have USDA health certificates on each dog, current, vaccinations ( between 30 days and 6 months). We didn't have to have any of it notarized or signed by the Honduran consulate at that time...but things change. We did have a 4 day quarantine period in San Pedro Sula after crossing the border at Agua Caliente and I know when I was in the airport at SPS last year at Christmas, the SAG agents are there at customs and immigration (The agriculture department).

RoatanMan:
You only have 1/2 of the story.

Find out IN ADVANCE where you have to go for this payment and inspection. As late as a few years ago this all had to occur in Tegucigalpa, there is/was no facility for this in the Bay Islands.

in Siguatepeque and in Comayagua. There are also several in SPS. The OP needs to find an SAG (ag department) certified vet that handles animal imports and exports. Our dogs had to be quarantined in SPS. Three years ago there was no one in our area or we could have come directly here without the hassle in SPS. The vet also needs to be contacted in advance so he can have all of the ag dept paperwork prepared and OP can provide his name and phone number to the ag people in SPS when the OP gets off the plane with cats in hand.

Thanks for all the info guys, ill be sure to look you up Deep Blue, you're right, this is a permanent move, i wouldnt dream of putting them through this for a fling holiday. Might fall flat on my face beggin for peanut butter sandwiches at the ferry dock, but sometimes in life you gotta try that thing that you know when you're 70 you'll regret it.

I figure with my old life/job, id have been lucky to see the cats reach old age anyway, so any time we have down there is a bonus.

Thanks Diversmon and Roatanman for the info, best to avoid nasty suprises, will call the H-embassy tomorrow, have been in close contact with someone there, hope he didnt leave anything like that out, looks like ill be going to SPS after all, as Continental has an embargo on pets till probably after the x-mas season, so it AA all the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom