Taking garbage bags in the water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but having having two breaths worth of air in the balloon is better than nothing right? That is the typical Spare Air argument.

That is the "At Depth" argument, I believe. On the surface you might be able get more breaths :wink:

Still think this is a good idea? Think again :shakehead:

turtle_plasticbag_w800_edited4.JPG

Coming up next on Scubaboard Debates:

Are bargain brand trashbags more likely to pollute the ocean and cause environmental disaster than Hefty (TM) brand trashbags, and which works better as an impromptu, "retro" lift bag?

Stay tuned for this exciting discussion!:catfight:

While I agree that taking plastic bags scuba diving is stupid, I would think "divers" are less than a fraction of the "plastic bag in the oceans" problem. I would think focusing awareness of this problem elsewhere would be more benificial.

I agree with you 100%.

Same as I don't believe reefs in the planet get destroyed by divers, but it is a good idea to poo poo divers with bad buoyancy skills that can't stop themselves from crashing into live corals.

Something as easy as not taking a plastic bag is a no brainer to me. If you want to take trash out during your dives the logical container for this trash is a mesh bag, a bag you can re-use over and over.

I saw Captain's comment about a plastic bag inside a mesh bag to be used as signaling device. Makes perfect sense.... but
He's not taking into account the fact that today's divers don't hold on to their stuff. I believe most divers will let go a trash bag while trying to inflate it. If we add the step of having the trash bag inside the mesh bag we are doubling (or tripling) the chances for this trash bag to go b-bye, heck if you don't give instruction I can picture most divers trying to put the mesh over the already inflated trash bag.

I agree with you 100%.

Same as I don't believe reefs in the planet get destroyed by divers, but it is a good idea to poo poo divers with bad buoyancy skills that can't stop themselves from crashing into live corals.

Something as easy as not taking a plastic bag is a no brainer to me. If you want to take trash out during your dives the logical container for this trash is a mesh bag, a bag you can re-use over and over.

I saw Captain's comment about a plastic bag inside a mesh bag to be used as signaling device. Makes perfect sense.... but
He's not taking into account the fact that today's divers don't hold on to their stuff. I believe most divers will let go a trash bag while trying to inflate it. If we add the step of having the trash bag inside the mesh bag we are doubling (or tripling) the chances for this trash bag to go b-bye, heck if you don't give instruction I can picture most divers trying to put the mesh over the already inflated trash bag.

I think it's a no brainer to most everyone. But there's always that "lunatic fringe"!

How about a small pony filled with helium ...
Note: this is just a joke, in no way, shape or form are mylar balloons a good idea for the marine environment. This is a public service announcement for anyone foolish enough to think carrying trash bags or balloons into the sea is a good idea, you know who you are.

Like this one??

pony_pet4444.jpg

I agree with you 100%.

It wasn't used as a signaling devise it was used as a lift bag and the plastic bag was first put into the mesh bag attached to whatever was going to be lifted and then inflated.
The question was why take a trash bag into the water on a dive, back 30 years ago that was a reason and plastic in the ocean wasn't know to be the problem it is today.
30 years ago paper was the most common type of bag used, so were paper cups, paper plates and all other items that now are plastic. Plastic was just for special uses. Younger people seem to believe things always were as they know them to be now.

Last edited:
It wasn't used as a signaling devise it was used as a lift bag and the plastic bag was first put into the mesh bag attached to whatever was going to be lifted and then inflated. .

Sorry I should've put more care reading your post. As far as putting the trash bag inside the mesh FIRST, I'm pretty sure it was obvious back then, but today you will need to provide explicit instructions as of how to go about using this items as a lift bag. Heck there probably are certifications for "lift bag deployment".

The question was why take a trash bag into the water on a dive, back 30 years ago that was a reason and plastic in the ocean wasn't know to be the problem it is today. 30 years ago paper was the most common type of bag used, plastic was just for special uses.
Right, and today... well, we both know what's happening today with plastic bags.

I'm from the school of live and let live, when I hear that this or that place doesn't allow gloves and/or knives, my first thought is they won't see a cent of my money.
On that note, I basically think people should carry whatever they please in their dives, but when it comes to suggesting bogus safety gear with high potential to cause damage, I figure the least I can do is bring attention to it.

Sorry I should've put more care reading your post. As far as putting the trash bag inside the mesh FIRST, I'm pretty sure it was obvious back then, but today you will need to provide explicit instructions as of how to go about using this items as a lift bag. Heck there probably are certifications for "lift bag deployment".
QUOTE]

LOL Its called PADIS search and recovery :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom