Taking garbage bags in the water.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago before small lift bags were available a garbage bag inflated inside a mesh catch bag made a improvised lift bag.

Wow, only time I've heard of garbage bags on dives are when you find them in the water and stuff them in your pocket/wetsuit to get them OUT of the water....

There is a person who thinks it's a great idea.:shakehead:

I've never heard of this before. Why would anyone take trash bags diving?

"Rising tides of untreated sewage and plastic debris are seriously threatening marine life and habitat around the globe, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) warned in a report Wednesday. The number of ocean "dead zones" has grown from 150 in 2004 to about 200 today, said Nick Nuttall, a UNEP spokesperson.

"These are becoming more common in developing countries," Nuttall told IPS from Nairobi, Kenya.

Dead zones can encompass areas of ocean 100,000 square kms in size where little can live because there is no oxygen left in the water. Nitrogen pollution, mainly from farm fertilisers and sewage, produces blooms of algae that absorb all of the oxygen in the water. Plastic is an even more visible environmental concern, killing more than a million seabirds and 100,000 mammals and sea turtles each year, according to previous U.N. reports. ......
-
-
-
Plastic bags, bottle tops and polystyrene foam coffee cups are often found in the stomachs of dead sea lions, dolphins, sea turtles and birds. Seagulls in the North Sea had an average of 30 pieces of plastic in their stomachs, according to a Dutch study in 2004.

The volume of plastic debris was estimated at eight million pieces a day in 1982 and is unquestionably much higher today, perhaps double or triple that number. About 20 percent of the plastic in the oceans comes from ships or offshore platforms; the rest is blown or washed off the land, according to the U.S. Commission on Ocean Policy.

Plastic debris is now found everywhere, even the remotest regions of Antarctica. ......"

Marine Scientists Report Massive "Dead Zones"
by Stephen Leahy
Marine Scientists Report Massive "Dead Zones"

Years ago before small lift bags were available a garbage bag inflated inside a mesh catch bag made a improvised lift bag.

Also years ago, men would club a mastodon to death with rocks and sharp sticks. :D

Actually, the system you described probably worked pretty darn well, given there was not real lift bag available.

I've never heard of this before. Why would anyone take trash bags diving?

Ya just can't make this stuff up....

Why are you going thru the DM course? Why not just enjoy diving? Good answers here already, but I'll add mine...

1: Carry SMB, mirror, dive light, and compressed air whistle on every dive to make finding your easier. I also carry a white trash bag for a night time too; fill with air and shine light into it.

2: Enjoy easier dives.

3: Dive with a good buddy when you can; a pony bottle helps too.

4: The Return key makes paragraphs; use often. :eyebrow:

Ya know, couldn't you also shine a dive light into or onto an actual SMB for a similar effect?

About the only reason I would consider carrying a trash bag on a dive is if I were doing a "splash in - trash out" dive to clean up garbage in an area. I'd be more likely, though, to use a mesh bag that wouldn't trap a bunch of water with the trash.

I often grab random pieces of trash on the return portion of a dive. We may not be able to clean up the whole ocean, but every little bit removed is that much less polluting the seas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom