Taking a ScubaJet scooter on a plane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidLoPan

Registered
Reaction score
Hello
Has anyone packed one of those ScubaJet scooters (reference The SCUBAJET water jet system - SCUBAJET) on a plane yet? I want to take one to Hawaii but was wondering what anyone's experience has been getting it checked onboard, any TSA inspections, what about the batteries did the TSA hassle you about it?

Thanks

You need to contact your airlines for their policy on batteries and hazardous materials. The manual that came with your ScubaJet states this. They will probably want to know the battery type and capacity. The airlines take the transport of hazardous materials very seriously (for good reason). You might also ask the manufacturer or dealer of your scooter what they would suggest.

Totally depends on the battery makeup. I am assuming they are Lithium-ion, TSA rules can be found here Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours | Transportation Security Administration
Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device | Transportation Security Administration

Basically if its 100Wh or less you can check it. If its 100-160Wh you can carry on. If its over 160Wh its a no go. Also will need to be UN38.8 certified.

I have flown a lot with my Genesis DPV and I always bring a copy of the UN38.8 test cert, manual, and manufactures statement that it is air travel safe, plus the batteries are stamped with the Wh showing they are safe, the printed out rules from the TSA website, and the printed out rules from the airline I am flying with. I am United 1K so I always fly them and there rules for flying with Li-Ion batteries are the exact same as TSA's and are clearly stated on there website. So there is no confusion.

Attached is all the documents i usually bring

Attachments

• Dangerous items on United Airlines.pdf
    100.8 KB · Views: 87
  • FAA Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf
    551.1 KB · Views: 109
  • Genesis-Manual-R2.0.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 94
  • Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device _ Transportation Security Administra...pdf
    51.3 KB · Views: 91
  • Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours _ Transportation Security Administration.pdf
    51.6 KB · Views: 110
  • Logic Brochure.pdf
    885.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Warp-Core-Manual-R1.0.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 119
  • DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY USE ONLY 2S4P.pdf
    131.4 KB · Views: 73
Just looked at there website and it looks like they offer 3 kinds of batteries:
100Wh
200Wh
400Wh

If you have the 100Wh version your good to go. If you have the other 2 then good luck but 99% chance they will not let you on the plane. Also with the 100Wh version make sure on the battery it is clearly marked by the manufacture because it will get checked. Also make sure you have the correct paperwork and be fully up to day o the TSA rule and airline rules so you know what your talking about when you get questioned and you have the UN38.8 cert to back it up.

I watched the video at the DEMA show the spokesperson said that the single battery was actually 99Wh and they did that to specifically meet airline carry on rules. On the website it says "500W Power | fully airline-compliant". For $1250 you get the 1 battery kit with 2 hours run time. For $2350 you get the PRO with 2 airline compliant batteries or start small and go BIG! LOL NOTE- the Christmas DEAL is the PRO for $1999. This is what I am going to get. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom