Taken the classes but having hard time getting final cert dives :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[/QUOTE]Just my 2 psi

-Garrett

P.S. Notice I ignored the morons and fools comment, hopefully this thread can move in a more discussion oriented direction from now on.[/QUOTE]

And your the better man for it Garrett. The mud slinging has been a little too thick and I second the motion for some constructive discussion. Would be nice for a change.

Kaz

shark.byte.usa:
The eLearning program only truly benefits PADI in every conceivable scenario.

BTW -- this is not agency bashing in any way. PADI's move to the Internet is bold and inevitable. Hopefully, someone from PADI will read my conclusions and soak it in. --- One can wish!

Hi Garrett,

I teach for several different certification agencies (PADI Being one of them) and talked to most of them (at DEMA) regarding PADI's move to the Internet. Also, after sitting in the PADI IDC update and several of their mini-seminars, at DEMA, I have concluded three things.

1. PADI has always paid special attention to the dive resorts (specifically in the Caribbean). This program benefits them greatly as resort vacationers don't mind too much jumping in the pool, nor do they mind the certification dives. This opens their market greatly to people wanting to get certified in the Caribbean. In active discussion about this during the IDC Update, the PADI representative addressed this in detail. Also, the PADI representive also mentioned (sorry Rob) that the online program would NOT be available for independent instructors to utilize. They could accept a referral, but there would be no system in place for them to be selected or be allowed to custom link to the elearning center - it was for the IRRA members only.

2. The online system is a progessive next step to the prescriptive learning method PADI introduced a couple of years ago. The only comment I can make is that it places more and more responsibility on the student to absorb the information. Is that a safety issue??? (looking forward to the comments)

3. Revenues are going to be impacted at PADI and the LDS (non resort based LDS). Foot traffic will be reduced in the stores by at least 50%. Additionally, a good instructor will have at least 50% less face time with the student, thus his ability to product place/sell equipment, travel and continued education is drastically reduced. You can point to the IDC training as a direct example of this. There is no product placement in the pool or open water sessions. Without this face time, equipment and continuing education will suffer. Lastly, that bond between instructor and student starts in the classroom. That will impact the ability for them to sell con-ed. Furthermore, PADI is now cutting itself into the instruction revenue stream (actually controlling the revenue stream). Thus, the shops will be receiving commission on the sales from PADI. They are telling shops not to drop their OW Class prices, but savvy consumers will know they are paying twice. The shop in order to compete will need to drop prices. I can't see how this will NOT impact revenues at an LDS. But PADI is spoon-feeding everyone that it won't.

IMO - I like the idea/concept/practice and application of online learning. I also appreciate the certification agencies taking the lead on it as they are the only ones in this business who can afford it. Eventually ALL certification agencies will have online classes of some sort. So you can throw daggers at PADI for doing it now, but your (ageny's) turn is probably less than 24 months away. It is fate. My issues are two fold: I do not think PADI has really thought through the whole business model. When asked questions, specifically, about the business issues, their general answer was that all the details had not been worked out. However, they were very adamant that this was going to be released in six months. It sounds like they have spent all their time analyzing the functionality/technology, not the business model. This would be indicative in the aggressive timeline and specific details about the operation, and the lack of details on business impact. I also see PADI stepping into a grey area of competition by soliciting open water students, controlling the student and then passing them off to a shop. As an instructor, my students who go through my OW class always have a special bond with me as the person who led them through the shark infested waters. No matter what instructor they have afterwards, I was the one who excited the spark that brought them into Scuba. That spark is now with PADI, not the shop. That is one shred of glue that will know be stripped away.

I hope PADI really, truly examines their business model and makes alterations and stays out of the grey areas.

My last thought: The beast (Internet learning) is uncaged. If you are a shop owner or scuba instructor, you'd better understand and embrace it or get trampled underneath. While I do not think it will be as rapidly adopted by consumers - it will some day.

JCF

PS - Scubapig - I hope my moronic rantings weren't too simple for your high intellect. I know a lot of people on this board, many I consider friends, none I consider morons. While having your Scuba Sciences Posse participating in our board recently has been entertaining, your childish insults and incoherent rantings is uncalled. If you have an opinion, voice it (preferably with spell check and grammar check). Lastly, SS Posse, there is a marketplace in this forum. If you have a commercial, post it there.

scubajcf,

I didn't mean to imply any PADI bashing at all, I am pro eLearning, my current certification is from PADI and this path was inevitable I completely agree. I simply meant PADI will come out on top, however it shakes out, that is not a bad thing for PADI.

I'll have to read the remainder of your post and let it soak in...

Garrett

Never implied you were bashing. My BTW was meant to let people know, I was not bashing ... sorry for the confusion.

jcf

Warning: Rambling opinion ahead.

This thread seems to have moved from universal referrals to lake certifications and now on to online learning, pros/cons.
I have limited experience with online learning but thought I would share it. It DOES NOT pertain to scuba.
At my company we offer a wide variety of classes to improve our job skills. These classes are offered at a wide variety of locations throughout the valley, a variety of different days (ie weekends/weekdays) as well as times (mornings, afternoons, evenings) One would think that we could fit ANYONE's schedule with these but we dont. The company thought 3 years ago that be offering a LIMITED number of courses online that it would increase employee's chances of upgrading their levels (and paychecks). I have taken a total of 10 of the classes online over the last 3 years. They fit my schedule though I am skeptical of online learning. Each class is meant to take roughly 3 hrs (depending on your reading speed) I have been able to circumvent the process. I print the workbook, then click the box at the bottom labelled NEXT continuely until I get to the end. Take the test by looking up the anwsers in the workbook and complete with a passing grade. I'm finished in about 20-30 min. max.
Did I learn anything by doing this? No, I did not. I was purely an experiment. I redid the courses (by reading) and then doing the test on my own at the end.
I guess my point is, is that some people learn better in a classroom setting, not all people, but some. Some of us will always cheat, not all, but some. Some of us will look for the shortcut, not all, but some. I think this goes for anyting thats not monitored, it the nature of the beast (human) to look for the easy way.
Yes I know, all the colleges etc have online courses and do well. I see nothing wrong with taking them depending on the subject. Underwater basket weaving I'm sure would be fine....something that requires life support equipment on the other hand? hmmm...maybe...maybe not.
I think the agencies should have both kinds of learning available to folks and allow us to choose the method that suits us. I would use class room as I learn more that way and enjoy the interaction with other people.
At one point back several pages, someone brought up that SSI has online/CD learning. I thats true but Scuba Sciences has continued to use classroom learning as they feel their students learn more....again...this is a personal choice of the student and of course a business decision in regards to the shop. If online learning is your thing then you should persue a shop that has that to offer.
Choices, its all about choices and making our own decisions. The agencies will serve they students better by offering as many as possible.

Just my 10 cents, (inflation)
Kaz

shark.byte.usa:
Yah it's pretty out of control... Stayed tuned for tomorrow's topic-of-the-day! :D

Not that you've contributed to the chaos? :wink:
At least we have some dialog on this board.
Is that a pulse I hear?

scubajcf:
Not that you've contributed to the chaos? :wink:
What me offer an opinion, stir the pot a bit...Nah not me :eyebrow:

So...I'm thinking about getting a new BC should I go jacket, back inflate or BP/W? Should I buy it online or at my LDS? What about Leisure Pro? And what's all this DIR stuff about anyway? What's a long hose, can't that kill you? I'm thinking about Solo diving... And if the internet causes my shop to close where oh where will I get an airfill?

hahahaha...:joke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom