Taken the classes but having hard time getting final cert dives :(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iroc

Registered
Reaction score
I figured I would throw this one out here and see if anyone knew the answer. Me and my wife have taken the "basic ocean course" from a SSI school in phx (scuba sciences if it matters) We have been unable to get a weekend off to do one of the cali trips they offer due to work. And of course they dont offer week day trips when we could actually go. Do you actually have to take the cert dives with the school you took the classes or can any dive instructor certify you after you have taken the classes? I would rather not ask them these questions as we dont want make any bad blood between us and local dive shop. If we could go through someone else it would be great. The school certainly made a great deal of money off us for gear. Any opinions on this situation would very helpful. Thanks much :)

Your first option is a 'universal referral', you pay Scuba Sciences ($110) for the paperwork and go to your dive destination pay your referral instructor for the checkout dives, you pass, they sign your paperwork, you take it back to Scuba Sciences and are certified. Look on this page http://www.scubasciences.com/Basic Ocean Diving.htm under #3. I know they have some restrictions like they won't give you a 'universal referral' to go get certified in the lake. So this is probably going to cost you at least $200+/ea. + travel/lodging + any other fees like for a dive boat or gear rental, etc.

Second option would be to go to an independant instructor (you might try http://www.southwestscuba.com ) possibly even another shop. PADI classes are much much much shorter than the 6 week Scuba Sciences SSI class. Having the knowledge and confined water experience you should already have, you would breeze through it, and may be able to have an even more excellerated class. Open water checkouts can be done at the lake. So you can be done in a couple to a few days depending on what you can work out. This would probably cost you about half as much as a Scuba Sciences SoCal trip.

Most shops/instructors do their checkout dives and trips on weekends that's just how it is, but an independant can probably work with your schedule better and don't worry about bad blood with Scuba Sciences, dive shops are a dime a dozen here in Phoenix and remember your the customer.

Let's us know how it works out!

-Garrett

Naw, you should be able to do a referral. There *shouldn't* be bad blood with the LDS, as you've already paid for your OW course and you said you bought gear. Just tell them what you told us--it's hard for you to join their trips, as they're during times when you're working, but you'd sure like to or whatever.

PM sent.

Also, the length of the PADI course varies with the instructor. Most shops will do a weekend course in the pool and classroom and a weekend in open water. Our Open Water courses are all scheduled independently and the length varies with the student divers. We go at the pace of the student diver and offer as much time as necessary to everything done and feel comfortable about it.

namabiru:
Naw, you should be able to do a referral. There *shouldn't* be bad blood with the LDS, as you've already paid for your OW course and you said you bought gear. Just tell them what you told us--it's hard for you to join their trips, as they're during times when you're working, but you'd sure like to or whatever.

Theoretically, you are right... but we're talking about Scuba Sciences here. Give it a try and see what happens... hahahaha.

Sorry, Iroc... I've heard this story a hundred times. If you want to stay cool with SS then find a way to go on one of their trips. OTOH, if you have had enough of their BS, start over with one of the other local shops or take Rob up on his offer. It might seem like a tough pill to swallow but it really isn't... just know that you aren't alone... many others have had to go down the same road.

Check with Aqua Blue, they're the other SSI shop in town. Maybe they have a trip you can go on. But I doubt you'll find anything not over a weekend, SoCal and San Carlos are too far away for most people to go mid-week.

My buddy did his Nitrox classroom with SS but did his dives in Bonaire via the referral process.

Stephen Ash:
Theoretically, you are right... but we're talking about Scuba Sciences here. Give it a try and see what happens... hahahaha.
I was going to say the same thing, but figured I'd let it go and give them the benefit of the doubt first :11: , since Iroc hasn't discussed it with them. The lake is definitely out, there are some other SS restrictions on referrals but I can't remember what they are. My son did an OW referreal through them but we went to Maui, so it was 'all good' :D

Garrett

Nothing like eliminating the competition... :wink:

Really doesnt seem like all these restrictions are for the better good of the student trying to get certified. Kinda seems more like a mild sales trap :( Is this typical of all dive shops in phx or did i not do my research good enough?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom