Table Rock for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll post an update on Tablerock, Dewey Short area.

Dove there today, this morning and early afternoon. vis was still pretty good with an average of 15 feet of vis, the only thermocline I could detect seemed to be at about 50 feet with the temps below that in the mid to maybe low 50's down to around 80 feet or so.

The Bass and other fish were down around 50 feet as well so that means the O2 level is getting higher there and probably the only thermocline since fish kind of like to breathe the good stuff. I dive a drysuit and might miss a subtle thermocline, but vis seemed pretty constant until 50 feet and then opened back up below 60 feet.

Surface temps were around 72 and not much else going on. Good diving.

I don't know if it matters to you, but according to the Corp you do not need a dive flag diving Dewey Short, and if you have one and dive outside that area be prepared for those idiot jet ski drivers playing with it. Just fly the flag on your boat, not that they'll know what it means because they seem to delight in playing with them, circling it, using them as an obstacle course etc. It's more dangerous to advertise your position than to be subtle if they're out. Come up near shore to avoid those idiots. They'll even follow your bubble trail, so if you're outside the marked area be wary. Follow your anchor rope back up and listen for them.

So, yes I've had them play with and ignore dive flags there and no, I do not use one anymore and have fewer problems because of it. That is only inside the bouy'd area. Diving Jakes point and others I'd use the dive flag on the boat and come up near it.

I saw a boat inside that bouy'd area, not sure how they did it but they were there fishing. Sometimes I think a test should be needed for boat drivers...

Thanks for the update, it is greatly appreciated. I am driving my wife nuts right now because I cannot wait for next weekend to get here. Was there much for boat traffic out there or is the lake pretty calm right now... Well except for the jetskiers I guess. They do seem to always be where we are.

Phil

There was more boat traffic than I expected. It certainly wasn't like labor day or anything, and the jet ski's seemed to like to stay close to Dewey Short where they normally run out in the middle and irratite boat drivers.

Thanks again for the info... I think I am going to give Dewey Short a try, I will definately leave my float on the boat though. I also think that I am going to go to the cabin cruiser and maybe spoonbill bluff.

Have any of you messed with Google Earth??? Do you know how accurate it is when you put in GPS coordinates? When I put in the coordiantes for spoonbill bluff it comes up a little ways off shore, and just becuasue it is called spoonbill bluf I just ASSumed that it would be a little closer to shore. I guess everything else that i have put in there seems pretty accurate.

Thanks again for all the help from everyone...

Phil

I think that lat/long numbers are off for Spoonbill Bluff, at least in Google Earth. I think Spoonbill is just North of Breezy Point. I'm talking yards here. If not, then it is the other bluff on the west side of the channel closer to 86 bridge. (Been awhile since I've been down that way.)
The Saddle connecting Breezy Point with Breezy Point island gets my vote for one of the better deep dives in the lake. (Breezy Point lat/long in Google Earth nails it.)
Check with anyone at the local shops on the lake and I'm sure you'll get excellent advice, conditions, and directions.

Google Earth seems to be pretty accurate, but then it's only as good as the data you input.

GPS by the way isn't guaranteed to be right on the spot, just close.

You'll see a few floats at Dewey Short and if you want to use one there go for it. It's more fun diving without one and it's safe in that area. Once you head out and dive other spots in the open your boat's dive flag is pretty good and as far as I know manditory.

"GPS by the way isn't guaranteed to be right on the spot, just close."

The coordinates for the cabin cruiser at Jake's Point Island are dead on. I pulled over my mark and dropped the anchor right into the aft deck, GPS if the coordinates are good is just about totally accurate and repeatable. This type thing has happened many times for me using GPS, I am usually within a few feet of the intended target. I have found that passing over the mark and then coming about into the wind, if possible, and then tracking back on to the mark and then just as the bow hits my mark we drop anchor--right on target. N

Nemrod:
I have found that passing over the mark and then coming about into the wind, if possible, and then tracking back on to the mark and then just as the bow hits my mark we drop anchor--right on target. N

Ding ding ding!! That's how Mike from Sho-me Scuba hits spots too. I can't say how many times I've hooked the anchor on what we were going to dive.

The Trip was great. We dove the enchanted forest, and duck island from scuba sports list. Then we also dove a few other spots that I have found some anchors and a ring at before down there. We did a night dive (My first) in front of the house and that was really cool. I did not know what to expect but it was a good time. We were going to dive Zebulon Pike but we got to late of a start on Sun and just did one dive. We needed to get back on the road to get back to St Louis at a decent hour. Water was great, viz was good. The lake is way down from the last time I was there, so when we went to the enchanted forest most of the trees were only in about 30 ft of water. All in all it was a great time. Unfortunately I think that was my last trip there for this year. I may try to make it to a quarry one Sun before it gets to cold. Thanks again to everyone for all the tips...

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom