Table Rock for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info Nagel, I will have to check it out. I am not heading down this weekend but the following weekend...

Nagel, How was the Viz and the water temp???

skdvr:
Well the only reason that I was loooking for some place to dock the boat is because the anchor is not the best for the boat. If there is someone left onboard while we are diving then it does not matter, but on this particular weekend that I am going there will be 4 of us and all 4 are divers. I just do not want to dive for 45 min and then come up to see my boat on the other side of the lake...

Dude, you're a diver! Drop anchor, jump in, descend on the anchor line and secure it before continuing the dive--you can tie it to a submerged tree if you must. You may need to send someone down to unsecure it before leaving, but no sweat there.

Have fun . . . I LOVE diving Table Rock!

theskull

Were is there any really deeper diving done on this lake??

texdiveguy:
Were is there any really deeper diving done on this lake??

The entire lake has a main channel near the center with max depth of 120-160, with a max of near 200 at the dam. You can easily reach 100 nearly everywhere except in some of the coves.

theskull

theskull:
The entire lake has a main channel near the center with max depth of 120-160, with a max of near 200 at the dam. You can easily reach 100 nearly everywhere except in some of the coves.

theskull

Thanks...... I had read some promo info. on the lake that said it had a bottom at 220ffw. Have you dove the dam,,,,,easy access for entry-exit?

texdiveguy:
Thanks...... I had read some promo info. on the lake that said it had a bottom at 220ffw. Have you dove the dam,,,,,easy access for entry-exit?

The bottom might be 220 when the lake level is at its highest, but you don't really want to go there, except perhaps for bragging rights. There is nothing at the deepest point but dark silt.

There are, however, a lot of great dives to be made at 150 and less, featuring interesting rock formations and ledges, submerged forests, huge catfish, lost anchors (except near the dam), and other lake stuff.

The access is very easy at the dam for shore entry diving. There is a set of concrete steps or a less steep wooden set. Plenty of parking, and no boats or jet skis allowed in the dam area. The area features diving at depths as shallow as 10 ft. all the way down to app. 200, with large ledges about every 20 ft. or so--you can choose what depth you want to dive and there is stuff to see there. Very rich in aquatic life, with crawfish, bluegill, bass, catfish, croppie, etc. The dam is one of the better dive sites I've experienced around the lake, and definitely the best shore dive I've found.

theskull

skdvr -
You asked about viz and temp. During our dive over labor day, the viz was about 15' but deteriorated later in the day as the clounds moved in. Temp was fine. During the dive I told you about, I dove in just shorts and a shirt and was fine staying above the 35' level. Got a little cold as you hit the t-cline.

Again, if you go down there take the trail to the left of the visitors center. There is a nice rock shelf on shore to store your gear next to the water.

Nagel

theskull:
The bottom might be 220 when the lake level is at its highest, but you don't really want to go there, except perhaps for bragging rights. There is nothing at the deepest point but dark silt.

There are, however, a lot of great dives to be made at 150 and less, featuring interesting rock formations and ledges, submerged forests, huge catfish, lost anchors (except near the dam), and other lake stuff.

The access is very easy at the dam for shore entry diving. There is a set of concrete steps or a less steep wooden set. Plenty of parking, and no boats or jet skis allowed in the dam area. The area features diving at depths as shallow as 10 ft. all the way down to app. 200, with large ledges about every 20 ft. or so--you can choose what depth you want to dive and there is stuff to see there. Very rich in aquatic life, with crawfish, bluegill, bass, catfish, croppie, etc. The dam is one of the better dive sites I've experienced around the lake, and definitely the best shore dive I've found.

theskull

Hey thanks for the insight on the lake and the dam area diving...really helps!

Back
Top Bottom