T2T forum entrance requirements change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember reading a couple of Brian Kakuk's descriptions of his exploration dives, where he does a segment at 150, and then up to about 35 feet, and then back for a long segment at 150 -- not really a very healthy kind of profile, but if it's what the cave does, what can you do?

(Of course, my instructors would have me deco out the deep sections on the ascent to the shallows EACH time.)

psh. I know at least one of your instructors laughed this off as an easy little 150' ratio dive this weekend :wink:

er...the first one, that is

Sheesh, I leave for work and all of a sudden the dead-due-to-inactivity T2T forum sprung to life...

• Years tec diving: 2.5
  • No of deco dives: All dives are deco dives *smarta55 comment* It's really 34
  • Tec instructor? No
  • Trimix? Once
  • Rebreathers? When my kid grows up and we can then go into giving those RB's some serious usage. As it is right now I don't think I'll use them enough to justify the cost.
  • Caves? Maybe... I recognize the beauty of geological formations. I think I would enjoy enjoy the challenge. But they lack biological, archeological or historical attractiveness. I'm not rushing to get into one.
  • Other comments: Got into staged deco mainly because the topography of the around BC, Canada makes it so easy to do them. Back in my native Honduras, I used to think a 110' wall was a huge wall. In many places you actually had to take a boat to get depths beyond 100'. Right here you step off dry land and right into a 700' wall. And there are lots of walls like that around here.

My public profile is representative of my diving experience, in short I have been diving for 36 years, and tech diving for 27 of those years. What my profile does not state is that I have not been in a cave for the past six months since I had a hip replacemnt because of dysbaric femoral head necrosis. After extensive physical therapy it still looks like I will never be able to adduct my hip joint sufficiently to do a proper frog kick, and my back kick is now impossible. It looks like I will have to give up the caves, but since I can only flutter kick, I would have to be a total stroke to go back in a cave:(
I can't bring myself to start selling off my gear yet. The wife can't see why I am so pissed, but I guess you guys can. Anyway, that is my intro - washed up cave diver.
Sorry to hear that. Just for the record I did not ask for intro info. That was AJ. Still, thanks for sharing.

ReefNet Inc. | Sensus Ultra

$170 and i just keep it in my pocket and it doesn't matter if my depth gauge craps out and i get a different one (or forget it and wind up borrowing one on a dive or whatever -- it just follows my pocket contents, which follows me...)
Wow, measurement points every second... Dive data logger. very cool.

What "intro" information are people are looking for? I just updated my profile. There's little personal info requested there IMO. Besides I made it all up anyway :mooner:
Maybe one day I'll update my profile... or just add information to it for the very first time. There's a couple of reasons for why I never added information to my profile.

First, there is the privacy side of things. I just don't like having too much info about me floating around freely.

2nd, I'm not too big on labels or cert cards or ranking myself as super-experienced-therefore-you-should-heed-my-words. If I say (write) something, it should be able to stand on it's own without need of any "reputation" support. If it doesn't stand, it's probably because I am wrong and the fall back is well deserved irrespective of my credentials.

You should see the Manatee graph. Its nutty.

I don't recommend this, but we deco based on the actual average with vpm+2 (modified for an S-curve) and call it good. Gas breaks are counted as total time. We typically take a ~20min surface deco, drink before, during, and after the dive, and try do a pretty slow ascent. Its been working so far :)
Just to be clear, water before and beer after, right?

I was told that rum and coke is good for post dive decompression because it dehydrates you, and constricts things so that it squeezes out the bubbles. I haven't seen anything official in this yet, but I've been experimenting within my own comfort level.

In all seriousness, I'm not convinced that surface deco is a great thing. I've heard some compelling arguments to get out of the water asap (before the bubbling peaks), and then wait 30 min before grabbing gear. Basically have all your gear away from you by the time bubbling starts. I've tried both methods and can't really tell a difference in fatigue level, so I'm not sure what works best.

My public profile is representative of my diving experience, in short I have been diving for 36 years, and tech diving for 27 of those years. What my profile does not state is that I have not been in a cave for the past six months since I had a hip replacemnt because of dysbaric femoral head necrosis. After extensive physical therapy it still looks like I will never be able to adduct my hip joint sufficiently to do a proper frog kick, and my back kick is now impossible. It looks like I will have to give up the caves, but since I can only flutter kick, I would have to be a total stroke to go back in a cave:(
I can't bring myself to start selling off my gear yet. The wife can't see why I am so pissed, but I guess you guys can. Anyway, that is my intro - washed up cave diver.

Don't let that stop you. There are plenty of caves where you can dive without frog kicking or stirring anything up. And we promise to not call you a stroke behind your back....we'll do it right to your face! :D

Years tec diving: 6
No of deco dives: somewhere in the 400-500 range
Tec instructor? Yes
Trimix? Yes
Rebreathers? Just waiting for it to ship!
Caves? Almost exclusively right now.
Other comments: trying to get back into wrecks more. It's just so much easier to cave dive.

Looking at the majority of profiles posted so far all I want to know is how do I unjoin this place?
May I propose that a "Dive Demigods" subforum be created for you and your peers so that you can distance yourself from us mere pesky mortals.:mooner:

Looking at the majority of profiles posted so far all I want to know is how do I unjoin this place?

I suppose the best that the rest of us can really hope for is that if we do eventually somehow become experienced technical divers like yourself, that we manage to do it with somewhat better grace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom