Switching to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cldSCUBA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am 6' and 275lbs. I mostly river dive(Cooper River, SC) but will be diving offshore soon. How would this be for a setup? Is it a bit expensive?

TRANSPLATE PACKAGE, DELUXE
- T3202 - TransPlate, Harness Only, Size: XXL
- Harness Color=Black
- BC2074 - Rec Wings, Black
- T2128-05 - TransWeight 32 Integrated Weight System
- BC2116 - Backplate, Polished Stainless Steel
- BC2034 - Tank Strap w/ S/S Cam Buckles (Set of 2)
- BC1056D - 1" Crotch Strap w/ Slide Release, S/S Scooter Ring

$599.00

Not the best choice in wing. If you're diving single cylinders, use a single cylinder wing.

cldSCUBA:
I am 6' and 275lbs. I mostly river dive(Cooper River, SC) but will be diving offshore soon. How would this be for a setup? Is it a bit expensive?

TRANSPLATE PACKAGE, DELUXE
- T3202 - TransPlate, Harness Only, Size: XXL
- Harness Color=Black
- BC2074 - Rec Wings, Black
- T2128-05 - TransWeight 32 Integrated Weight System
- BC2116 - Backplate, Polished Stainless Steel
- BC2034 - Tank Strap w/ S/S Cam Buckles (Set of 2)
- BC1056D - 1" Crotch Strap w/ Slide Release, S/S Scooter Ring

$599.00

Can't comment on price. But, this is similar to my TraspacII setup I've dove for the last several years. It has performed very well in warm and cold water with varying size tanks.

A comment was made about the wing. DiveRite calls it a single/double wing. It really is a good choice if you want versatility. In fact I'm going to move the wing to my new BP. Then it will go back on my Transpac when I dive that.

Why did you comment about your size? Idle chit-chat? Real concern?

thats a really good price, but i second the singles wing if that is what you'll be diving.

I'd third it... there is no good way to make a wing big enough for doubles work for singles. Get a small doughnut wing (35# or less). If you get into doubles later, get a doubles wing.

As everybody else said, get a different wing. I have a RecWing and using it with doubles a few weeks ago was NOT fun. It's okay for singles, but a dedicated singles wing would be much better. I'd skip the TransPlate harness and just get the DR basic harness and a crotch strap--I like the 1" w/ sewn loop and scooter ring.

Not sure if there is any issue with bp/w and size of person. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money but, I will need weight pockets, harness(or hog rig), plate, wing, and tank straps. I'm looking and the deepseasupply single rig, but dont know if the 30 wing is big enough (gear and weight) just looks very small. Please give your opinions.

Thank you.

Good point on the wing, didnt think of that.

cldSCUBA:
Not sure if there is any issue with bp/w and size of person. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money but, I will need weight pockets, harness(or hog rig), plate, wing, and tank straps. I'm looking and the deepseasupply single rig, but dont know if the 30 wing is big enough (gear and weight) just looks very small. Please give your opinions.

Thank you.

My single tank rig uses an 18# Oxycheq wing and it's just dandy.

A bp/w will fit pretty much anyone except the very tall or the very short. I'm 6'5" and the std 15" plate is too short for me such that I either can't reach my valves or the harness cuts right across my diaphragm so I went with a 16" Koplin plate (still a little small but didn't know about FredT's custom plates at the time).

As far as weight pockets, remember you'll be dropping some weight off your belt with an SS plate so whatever weight you still need, you may be comfortable with a std weight belt. Will definitely save you some money.

cldSCUBA:

Thank you.

I'm 6'1", 290lbs, the DSS 20lb wing is great for me in saltwater even with steel 104's. The problem comes in freshwater. The swing in air from the big steel tank made a 30lb probably the better choice, 8lb or more swing. The only time this is a problem is at the begining of the dive when I float a little low in the water. But like I said, this is only in fresh water. In salt I've never had to fully inflate the 20lb wing to keep me up, even with the 28lbs it takes to get me and my thicker wetsuit down. Just my experience.
Jason

Back
Top Bottom