Switching to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyrofish:
I'm 6'1", 290lbs, the DSS 20lb wing is great for me in saltwater even with steel 104's. The problem comes in freshwater. The swing in air from the big steel tank made a 30lb probably the better choice, 8lb or more swing. The only time this is a problem is at the begining of the dive when I float a little low in the water. But like I said, this is only in fresh water. In salt I've never had to fully inflate the 20lb wing to keep me up, even with the 28lbs it takes to get me and my thicker wetsuit down. Just my experience.
Jason

I assume you mean singles. When someone says 80's or 104's, that usually means doubles.

If you do mean doubles, that's incredible.

cldSCUBA:
Not sure if there is any issue with bp/w and size of person. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money but, I will need weight pockets, harness(or hog rig), plate, wing, and tank straps. I'm looking and the deepseasupply single rig, but dont know if the 30 wing is big enough (gear and weight) just looks very small. Please give your opinions.

Thank you.

Just curious about why you mentioned your size. If you are in good physical condition that shouldn't be an issue.

There is so much flexibility in attaching a BP you shouldn't have any trouble.

As for the wing; yes it would be nice, not mandatory, to have multiple wings to use for different dives. But, many, many people use that wing as their only wing for singeles and doubles and have been doing so for years.

Is it the perfect wing? Maybe not. But, you said money is a concern. So, since many others have successfully used it in both singles and doubles you can be sure it will work for you.

Later when you have some money to spare, certainly buy more wings for travel, single tank, double tank, redundant buoyancy double bladder, etc.

But, like all the other opinions posted here. The only one that is worth anything is yours since it is your money.

loosebits:
I assume you mean singles. When someone says 80's or 104's, that usually means doubles.

If you do mean doubles, that's incredible.

hehe, yup singles. That would be incredible if it were doubles! The 2 - 104's currently in my posession were doubles before my buddy loaned them to me. i dread the day he decides he wants them back :(

Jason

A wing is almost insignificant compared to the costs of diving doubles.

The doubles themselves ($700-$1000)
Another regulator ($400)
Gas, training, etc etc.

$200 for a secondhand doubles wing when doubles may or may not be in your future should *not* factor into your decision on a single tank wing. That's the height of silliness.

cldSCUBA:
Not sure if there is any issue with bp/w and size of person. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money but, I will need weight pockets, harness(or hog rig), plate, wing, and tank straps. I'm looking and the deepseasupply single rig, but dont know if the 30 wing is big enough (gear and weight) just looks very small. Please give your opinions.

Thank you.

A wing needs to be able to do two things; Float your rig at the surface without you in it, and compensate for the loss or potential loss of buoyancy of your exposure suit.

You can estimate the maximum negative buoyancy of your rig, just add up the parts. Look up the buoyancy of your tank (full) add the weight of the plate, regs, can light, extra ballast attached to your rig etc.

Example:

HP 100 -8.5
SS Plate & Harness (large) -6.8
Regs ~-2.0
Can light ~-3.5
Bolt On weight plates -8.1

Total Rig ~28-29 lbs

You don't say what you are using for an exposure suit. If it's a wetsuit roll it up and throw it inthe pool, add weight until it sinks. This weight represents the max your suit can lose due to compression. A 7 mil suit on a guy your size can take 25 to 30+ lbs to sink. Neoprene varies quite a bit as does suit design, if you want to know for sure you need to test your own suit.

Lets assume your suit needs 32 lbs to sink it.

32 > 29 so it is the change of buoyancy of your suit in this example, that governs the minimum wing lift required.

A Torus 35, or a LCD 40 would be my recommendations, based on the above assumptions.

Regards,

Tobin

So, How about this set up from deepseasupply

Pro-Fit Stainless Back Plate $179.00

Pro-Fit Harness $129.00

LCD 30 Wing $289.00

Pair Cam Straps and Wedge Block $46.00

Package Value $643.00

Special Package Price $499.00

With Hogarthian Harness $445.00

And either buying weight pockets or back the the weight harness.

I think that's an excellent choice.. though, depending on your exposure protection, you might want a larger wing. Do you wear a wetsuit or drysuit?

Yes diving a 7mil cool, so how much different in price to get the lcd 40 with that deal?

With the 7mm wetsuit, there will be a very large loss in buoyancy as you descend that must be overcome with the wing. A 30 may work, but you're a pretty big guy, and that's a lot of neoprene, so I'd definitely say go with the 40. I bet Tobin will agree.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom