Switching to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enderjs:
I know this is off topic and I am not trying to make anyone mad but why are Bp/W so expensive. They look ugly and really uncomfortable, I am sorry but just metal with some straps isnt worth 500 bucks in my book. Am I missing something? Besides the fact that they are completely customizable.

I initially thought so too about the expense, but that's just what they cost. The ~$500 does include the wing though, and usually a pair of cam straps. The wing is usually about half the cost or more. However, I think they look cool and feel fine with a wet- or drysuit on. Besides, regular high end BCD's cost just as much.

I don't think Tobin gives a discount. He's a small independant business. For the craftsmanship of the DSS product, it's definitely worth the cost. If you go that route, definitely get the additional weight plates. That brings you up to 14 or 15 pounds. I also secured two DR 3lb trim weights to my plate, so now my rig starts at 20lbs, which is the perfect weight for me with AL80 and a 3mm wetsuit in freshwater. I use XScuba pockets ($8 each) for the additional weight needed for salt water. Just put them on the waste band back by the plate. The dump pockets you mentioned previously could be nice if you absolutely need a rip cord style weight dump, but that's personal pref, and for $100 they (whichevere manufacturer) are proud of them. I don't believe Tobin makes anything for this.
Jason

Pyrofish, I think thats the way to go.... get the weight plates, and buy some pockets for the extra weight. Thank you everyone for you imput.

cldSCUBA:
Pyrofish, I think thats the way to go.... get the weight plates, and buy some pockets for the extra weight. Thank you everyone for you imput.

My recommendation is to first determine your total weighting requirements, and see if you really need any pockets.

Many people don't like weight belts, and I agree, a 20lbs + weight is a pain. A 6, or 8 lbs weight belt is not.

If we assume that your wetsuit is + ~30 lbs, and you have close to 30 lbs in your rig you aren't going to need much in the way of a belt anyway.

Be careful about hanging all your ballast on your rig, you may find that you need a bigger wing because of the weight of your rig. This is not the case if some of your ballast stays on you when you ditch the rig.

Tobin

Your right tobin, I will try and check my suit tommorow. Makes allot of sense, just did not think of any of this. Thank you for you help.

enderjs:
I know this is off topic and I am not trying to make anyone mad but why are Bp/W so expensive. They look ugly and really uncomfortable, I am sorry but just metal with some straps isnt worth 500 bucks in my book. Am I missing something? Besides the fact that they are completely customizable.

LOL!! Darn good question! To be honest, it's the packaging. The wing is really where the cost is. You can rig up a BP with hardware for about $75-$100 with all new stuff. If you don't mind buying used wings, and you're patient, you can usually find some used ones for good prices. This is a LOT easier when you are looking for doubles wings because doubles divers tend to move gear in and out or the house far more. I saw someone selling a DR Classic for $75 last week. I paid $250 for a new one and retail is $300 I think.

They don't look ugly to me, but that's personal. They are anything BUT uncomfortable. I have yet to see a BC that is more comfortable. IN THE WATER. I spend about 2 minutes on the surface with my gear and an hour or two in the water. I am far more concerned about comfort in the water than on the surface.

The ability to have one BC that works for drysuits, wetsuits, recreational dives, technical dives, cave dives, wreck dives, single tank dives, and doubles dives, is worth the money alone in my view. Of course others may feel differently.

But these systems sure are expensive. Of course, when you start looking around at what things like the Zeagle Ranger, Scuba Pro Knighthawk, the Black Diamond, the Poseiden, the Apeks, the Transpac, etc., cost, it doesn't seem nearly as bad. And none of those units, fine BCs they may be, can do what a BP/W can. At least not nearly as well.

Went with DeepSeaSupply single rig, with weight plates and lcd 40 wing. Thanks Tobin.

Well I got my DSS single rig yesterday. Put it all together in about 15 min and then sat at work thinking about how nice it will be to dive. This morning I got everything together and went to the Fire Station to fill my cylinders and show everyone my new purchase. Got to the river before my buddy and set everything up. A little uncomfortable on the surface, but not terrible. THEN I got into the water and WOW what a difference just floating there. Was able to lean back and just chill. Started toward the bottom and once I got horizontal, I could not believe how comfortable this rig is, I hit the inflator a couple times and I was perfect.. I made no adjustments with trim. I am so impressed. Thank you Tobin for your help in picking what suited me best. GREAT PRODUCT.

cldSCUBA,

Great choice in getting a DSS rig. I'm sure you know why some of us won't dive in anything else but a bp/w.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom