Check my shopping cart - BP/W harness components

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can you reach and manipulate your valve when diving?

Not without undoing the waist buckle. Deliberately: otherwise I bang the back of my head on the 1st stage doing dolphin kick.

He's a fairly new diver. The long hose isn't taught most places and it's not the kind of thing most people will pick up on their own. Nor is it clearly a superior set-up for open water rec diving.

I will put in a plug for the necklaced backup reg though. I just tried it this year after 16 years of a conventional set-up for the octo and I was immediately comfortable with it. It's nice to have it immediately at hand if you need it and even nicer not to have to wrangle it during and between dives. I should have made the change a long time ago. FWIW, I switched my old octo hose to the primary so it's a reasonable length for donation.

It absolutely is a clearly superior set up, and you basically said it yourself in the second part of your post. o_Oo_O

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the "normal" recreational routing, but the long hose set up is better in every way.

It absolutely is a clearly superior set up, and you basically said it yourself in the second part of your post. o_Oo_O

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the "normal" recreational routing, but the long hose set up is better in every way.
I used to think the same thing for years, and I still use the long hose bungee back up...but...
There was a thread about sharing air with insta buddies and universally accepted octo set ups, the ‘triangle’ blah blah blah...
I got to thinking about the possibility of a really gross insta buddy who smokes or chews Copenhagen or otherwise has really bad and disgusting oral hygiene, and I thought for a second that for scenarios like that going back to an octo in a keeper might not be a bad idea.
Or, just refuse to dive with such an individual because they’re too gross to share air with from your primary if the need ever arose.
What do you do if you have a regular buddy that has bad oral hygiene or is constantly sick with something, do bad germs die in the space of handing over and handing back a primary? Find better buddies?
I had an instructor who was a smoker when I was a DM and he’d want to demonstrate to students how to share air from my wrapped primary. I’d cringe when he handed it back because I could taste cigarettes. Very extremely gross!
So, I‘m starting to rethink the whole long hose craze.

I used to think the same thing for years, and I still use the long hose bungee back up...but...
There was a thread about sharing air with insta buddies and universally accepted octo set ups, the ‘triangle’ blah blah blah...
I got to thinking about the possibility of a really gross insta buddy who smokes or chews Copenhagen or otherwise has really bad and disgusting oral hygiene, and I thought for a second that for scenarios like that going back to an octo in a keeper might not be a bad idea.
In the unlikely event of that occurring (how often do you hand off a reg to any other diver, let alone a manky one?), I'd just stay with my bungied reg until the end of the dive and I could clean out the primary.

Thanks for all the great feedback. Order in this morning. :)

I went with the DGX standard harness, a few extra triglides with teeth and d-rings for options in configuration, and then a set of XS Scuba trim pockets and then their ditchable pockets for the waist. Going to toy with Akimbo modification to allow for smoother movement of the strap in cinching it up, however, will at least try it without first.

Can't wait to dive the rig in May, and will post a pic of it assembled once all of it comes together in the larger thread. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom