Switching to BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know, I can imagine a 30# wing not being big enough even for a 7mm suit as I've done an 18# wing with a 3mm just fine. Once you get above 30#, tacoing seems to become an issue.

jonnythan:
With the 7mm wetsuit, there will be a very large loss in buoyancy as you descend that must be overcome with the wing. A 30 may work, but you're a pretty big guy, and that's a lot of neoprene, so I'd definitely say go with the 40. I bet Tobin will agree.

I already have :wink:

Tobin

loosebits:
Once you get above 30#, tacoing seems to become an issue.
Um... you sure about that?

Have you seen an LCD40 taco around a tank? How about an Oxycheq 45# wing taco around a tank?

Which single-cylinder 40# wing have you seen that has tacoing issues?

cool_hardware52:
A wing needs to be able to do two things; Float your rig at the surface without you in it, and compensate for the loss or potential loss of buoyancy of your exposure suit.

You can estimate the maximum negative buoyancy of your rig, just add up the parts. Look up the buoyancy of your tank (full) add the weight of the plate, regs, can light, extra ballast attached to your rig etc.

Example:

HP 100 -8.5
SS Plate & Harness (large) -6.8
Regs ~-2.0
Can light ~-3.5
Bolt On weight plates -8.1

Total Rig ~28-29 lbs

You don't say what you are using for an exposure suit. If it's a wetsuit roll it up and throw it inthe pool, add weight until it sinks. This weight represents the max your suit can lose due to compression. A 7 mil suit on a guy your size can take 25 to 30+ lbs to sink. Neoprene varies quite a bit as does suit design, if you want to know for sure you need to test your own suit.

Lets assume your suit needs 32 lbs to sink it.

32 > 29 so it is the change of buoyancy of your suit in this example, that governs the minimum wing lift required.

A Torus 35, or a LCD 40 would be my recommendations, based on the above assumptions.

Regards,

Tobin

Of course lets not forget the buoyancy of the human body.

loosebits:
Of course lets not forget the buoyancy of the human body.
No, we do need to forget it, because it plays absolutely no part in determining the proper size of the wing.

jonnythan:
Um... you sure about that?

Have you seen an LCD40 taco around a tank? How about an Oxycheq 45# wing taco around a tank?

Which single-cylinder 40# wing have you seen that has tacoing issues?

I've had the issue with a Zeagle 35#... not a doughnut wing so I don't know about the Oxycheq - that's why I said "seems".

jonnythan:
No, we do need to forget it, because it plays absolutely no part in determining the proper size of the wing.

Of course, brain fart :)

Thank you everyone for all the information. This board is always the place to get a honest answer. Tobin, do SB members get 10% off like at scubaToys? :)

I know this is off topic and I am not trying to make anyone mad but why are Bp/W so expensive. They look ugly and really uncomfortable, I am sorry but just metal with some straps isnt worth 500 bucks in my book. Am I missing something? Besides the fact that they are completely customizable.

You might also call scubatoys or divesports for the diveright setup. Phil at divesports will beat the price you have by about $90, and shipping is free. And I'm sure he'll let you use a smaller wing, but I don't know how that will change the price.

I use the larger oxycheq wing (45#) because I use it for cold water and warm water, and I don't notice any "TACOING".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom