Swampers coming to Ginnie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're 2 OW Texas Swampers heading for Disney in March - part of the great central Texas spring break migration. We've settled on Ginnie as our first taste of Florida spings diving. Here's our question. We can either leave from Pensacola on Friday at 6 am arriving at Ginnie around noon (Mapquest estimates a 4:48 drive time) or we can drive up Saturday morning from Disney, arriving at about 9 am (Mapquest estimates a 2:00 drive time).

Which would be bettter? I assume the Friday dive would be less crowded, but can we get 2 dives in (Ginnie and Devil) before the park closes? Also, on Friday the non diving wife will be with us - real nature lover - I assume that Ginnie would have enough topside nature to amuse her while we dive?

The Saturday choice gets us there early, and I can leave my wife at a resort in Disney, but I am worried about weekend crowds. The fact that we'd drive right by on Friday, only to drive back up on Saturday kinda torques me a bit too.

So what say you Conch Divers - any advice?

bogrady:
We're 2 OW Texas Swampers heading for Disney in March - part of the great central Texas spring break migration. We've settled on Ginnie as our first taste of Florida spings diving. Here's our question. We can either leave from Pensacola on Friday at 6 am arriving at Ginnie around noon (Mapquest estimates a 4:48 drive time) or we can drive up Saturday morning from Disney, arriving at about 9 am (Mapquest estimates a 2:00 drive time).

Which would be bettter? I assume the Friday dive would be less crowded, but can we get 2 dives in (Ginnie and Devil) before the park closes? Also, on Friday the non diving wife will be with us - real nature lover - I assume that Ginnie would have enough topside nature to amuse her while we dive?

The Saturday choice gets us there early, and I can leave my wife at a resort in Disney, but I am worried about weekend crowds. The fact that we'd drive right by on Friday, only to drive back up on Saturday kinda torques me a bit too.

So what say you Conch Divers - any advice?

You can certainly get two dives in before Ginnie closes on Friday. You have to be out by Midnight with a day diving pass , so that would give you around 12 hours to do a couple of dives!!!
BTW: Around March , Ginnie still hasn't hit it's CROWDED weekend season yet. That hits around May (for sure by Memorial Day weekend).

So you should be safe with the crowds too...

Thanks!

Jean
Fort White , Florida

P.S. I live 15 minutes from Ginnie ... :D

Plenty time...just don't stop for a big breakfast

bogrady:
I assume the Friday dive would be less crowded, but can we get 2 dives in (Ginnie and Devil) before the park closes?

You'll like GS. I couldn't tell for sure by your bio, but just in case you don't know, you can't take lights in the Devils system at all unless you are at least Cavern certified. (You can dive it with OW cert, but the absence of a light keeps you from going further than you are trained to go, and getting into trouble.)

Ginnie is fine- very safe, and cool. But there's no way to get into the actual cave system from that cavern. Devils is a different animal, and it should be respected for what it is. They do have people who watch. I did Cavern last year; headed down in about 10 days for Basic Cave. Woo hoo. Fun.

I don't mean to sound like your mother! They just like to keep people alive if at all possible.

I'd venture that when it comes to caves/ caverns that some things can't be repeated too much.

Thanks for the fine advice. We'll target the Friday dive.

I also appreciate the warnings about the cave dangers. One of the reasons we picked Ginnie is it gives us a chance to get close, without going in. I've been a few yards into the edges of the submerged pecan groves in the deep dark of Lake Travis enough times to have a very strong respect (OK ... outright fear) for overhead environments. We promise to be careful.

jeandiver - once we confirm the final trip arrangements I'll post another message - we'd love to meet and dive with you (and any other close by Conchers) while we're there! Target date is Friday March 9th. Should be able to give at least a weeks notice.

Yep you got all the time you need. As a bouns you also have time to dive the Santa Fa river. It's actually pretty clear right now.....COLD but clear.

bogrady:
Thanks for the fine advice. We'll target the Friday dive.

I also appreciate the warnings about the cave dangers. One of the reasons we picked Ginnie is it gives us a chance to get close, without going in. I've been a few yards into the edges of the submerged pecan groves in the deep dark of Lake Travis enough times to have a very strong respect (OK ... outright fear) for overhead environments. We promise to be careful.

jeandiver - once we confirm the final trip arrangements I'll post another message - we'd love to meet and dive with you (and any other close by Conchers) while we're there! Target date is Friday March 9th. Should be able to give at least a weeks notice.

Cool !!!
Looking forward to it ... :D

Jeano Beano
Fort White , Florida

Jean you make Ginnie sound like it's a great place. What's to like about a place with unlimited visibility, where the water temperature doesn't even change with the seasons, where there is such a variety of critters it's like an aquarium. And whats the idea of an onsite snack bar and shower facility. I mean sheesh, where's the fun in that?

divedude1962:
Jean you make Ginnie sound like it's a great place. What's to like about a place with unlimited visibility, where the water temperature doesn't even change with the seasons, where there is such a variety of critters it's like an aquarium. And whats the idea of an onsite snack bar and shower facility. I mean sheesh, where's the fun in that?

Yes , gotta like them showers !!! :D
Nice on cool days when diving wet... :wink:

Da Bean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom