Swampers coming to Ginnie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedude1962:
I always dive wet, Jean. It's the only way to dive. Hey my wrist is healed, now if this cold would just leave my head I could breathe.

Ah , gotcha.
Awesome on the wrist....
Yes , get rid of that cold...!!!

Jeano Beano

Bogrady, the Ginnie cavern is open to open water divers (Albeit there are certain rules you have to abide by in order to dive it, but they are common sense). So if you desire, you can venture inside. In my experience, it's a good starter for overhead environments. It gave me an immediate respect for operating in such an environment. I highly recommend it. While there isn't much to see in there as far as wildlife, it's a marvel at how that geological example formed and you can see it by simply looking at the walls and ceiling. Exploring the ballroom has really made we want to expand my dive education into cavern training. I may never venture into full cave, but for now cavern will suffice for me. But if you are comfortable with it, I highly recommend that you explore it. But only as much as you dare within the limits of your comfort, training, and experience.

OK we’re set for our dive! Thanks for all the advice. I’ve been looking at the maps and drawings of the Ginnie cavern on floridacaves.com. It looks like its going to be an exciting new experience for us.

We leave Austin on Thursday March 8th and will be overnight in Pensacola. We’ll leave Pensacola at around 6am Friday March 9th. I figure the drive to be ~ 5 hours and accounting for the cross into the Eastern zone (my home zone – I’m a NY native) we should be at Ginnie by noon on Friday March 9th.

We’re looking to do a 2 tank dive plan, Ginnie and Devil’s – to the grate in Ginnie and to the turn around or die sign in Devil’s. We’re actually a bit excited by the fact that we’re actually going to get to see the front side of a real live “Enter and Die!” cave warning (We have no intention of seeing the backside).

Our limiting factor is that we need to be at Disney by 8pm so we need to leave Ginnie no later than 6 pm. My non diving wife will be with us. She’s bringing her birding book and some binoculars.

Any Conchers interested in meeting up with a pair of Swampers – just post or PM me. I’m assuming that jeandiver is a strong maybe?

Dave, Would love to meet and dive w/ you if you can make it - As long as you can tolerate a couple of Texas Lake divers first experience in an overhead. As far as I can tell, there are no buddy restrictions mentioned on the Ginnie web site, but it may be worth a call. My son will be with me as my buddy.

"Turn Around or DIE SIGN!!!!" :confused:

Oh , dat Reaper dude... :D

Jeano Beano

P.S. I have it penciled in ... Friday the 9th around Noon at Ginnie ...

bogrady:
Dave, Would love to meet and dive w/ you if you can make it - As long as you can tolerate a couple of Texas Lake divers first experience in an overhead. As far as I can tell, there are no buddy restrictions mentioned on the Ginnie web site, but it may be worth a call. My son will be with me as my buddy.

I have never been to Ginnie either and I am a Florida native:D Have done all salt water and maybe only a couple of lakes. I have gotten a new BC I wish to get aquainted with also. I am going to try and talk one of the guys here into coming also.
I never lost anything inside a cave that I need to go in and look for:D:D I believe that Jeano is a caver so she can beat us on the head if we try and think of going in....

Jeano do you need a light for the cavern portion? My light quit a few years back, so I will have to bring a Coleman Lantern with the long waterproof wick.:D

Hope I can make it, it should be fun.

I have another friend coming now. We should be there around 11:00 am. We are ole retired guys so that will give us time to get our wet suits on.:D:D We are trying to talk our wifes in going. We will see, neither of them dive.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom