Swamper Campout April 23-25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey everyone!

Military guy, from the east coast [one of those weird backplate/wing diver kids :p], stationed at Lackland AFB (San Antonio) for the next two months for some training.

I have all my dive gear, 7/5 wetsuit, and a car, but nothing I could bring to contribute to the campout. Meaning tent, tarps, food, table, etc. Not even a dive buddy. Maybe I could buy chips/drinks/utensils on the way up! Haha.

Is this campout something I could still go to or no? I'd be more than happy to dive with anyone, pay fees, etc.
I just don't want to be some outsider intruding.

FWIW, I intend to go on as many dives possible while up there. Never knew Texas had so much diving until I got here a few days back! Glad I bought all my gear along for the weekends.

I have all my dive gear, 7/5 wetsuit, and a car, but nothing I could bring to contribute to the campout. Meaning tent, tarps, food, table, etc. Not even a dive buddy. Maybe I could buy chips/drinks/utensils on the way up! Haha.

Is this campout something I could still go to or no? I'd be more than happy to dive with anyone, pay fees, etc.

FWIW, I intend to go on as many dives possible while up there. Never knew Texas had so much diving until I got here a few days back! Glad I bought all my gear along for the weekends.

Eff,

You're only an outsider till you get there:wink:

Anyone is welcome to come & I encourage you to do so. The Texas Swamp Divers are a great informal bunch and you'll have a blast, meet new dive buddies, and yes LOTS of diving.

Bring your gear & some cash for Park fees, air, etc. Camping is available (may want tent?) but there are also nearby hotels. If you want to do some boat diving while there, Lake Travis Scuba runs charters all weekend and picks up & drops off at the park; reservations are encouraged.

Also, r/g food & other nick-nacs there is an HEB less than five miles from Windy Point Park that you'll likely pass on the way there (Hwy 620 & 2222). Makes it easy to get stuff last minute w/ no need to pack and haul some things, just a suggestion.

Looking forward to some great times and good diving!

Thanks for the reply!

I see that according to the site I needa bring $45 for camping... do I need to reserve a spot, or do I just claim it when I arrive Friday night and hand the cash to someone? [unfortunately I work Friday until 4:30pm.... prolly wont arrive until 7! :(]

I will DEFINITELY book a dive trip Saturday and Sunday -- if there are any spots left! I'll be calling Lake Travis Scuba tomorrow to find out. Also filling out an online form tonight.

You pay Windy Point Park at the entrance.
Don't forget to tell them you are with Texas Swamp Divers to get whatever break they may provide.
Camping is open (no designated sites). Stroll down the hill and find the TSD's... if you see the words DIMWIT Divers you've found the right crew... camping space is plentiful, no reservation needed.

Just curious about our Saturday night plans. I'm taking the Saturday night charter with Rob, and plan to imbibe some of those "adult beverages" previously mentioned, but what are we going to do about food? An idea: Salt Lick has very reasonable catering rates ($12 per person) for brisket, ribs, and accoutrements! Either that or we could grill some flank steaks. Any plans should hopefully accomodate us night divers.

Yep, Kirk dove WPP yesterday and told me temp in the 60's with 10 to 15 foot viz to 40, below 40 down to 140 temp drops rapidly to 53 degrees and opens to 20 foot viz at 80 and drops back to 15 foot viz deeper.

Not bad for all the rain we have been having.

We have swampers brining firewood and a propane grill.

What we need next is cooking utinsels with the swampers camping.

We are only 15 minutes from HEB grocery. Plan to collect like 10 bucks a person for food and then we can all grill together. It worked best last year on the swampers get together.

The only thing is to have enough pots and pans to get the stuff cooked.

So bring cooking utinsels, and tell me what you are bringing, so we know we have enough.

Bring your own drinks. OK :D

See you this weekend.

i'll bring a 12" cast iron skillet. y'all have to promise to keep it dry, though. maybe some spices, too (tell me what you need: i have everything ... i mean everything.) prob bring ~40 cans of beer, and a fifth of something stiffer for saturday night.

Hey everyone!

Military guy, from the east coast [one of those weird backplate/wing diver kids :p], stationed at Lackland AFB (San Antonio) for the next two months for some training.

Why am I not surprised that an Air Farce guy has no camping gear? The only Service in the military that takes Samsonite on a deployment. :rofl3:

Just a little bit of ribbing from an Army guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom