Swagelock QC6 source

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what they look like with adapters installed.
IMG_0332.JPEG
IMG_0333.JPEG
IMG_0334.JPEG

Do you use Teflon tape or other sealants when connecting Swagelok and NPT adapters to build your own connectors?

Light monkey carries exactly what you are doing in a smaller & lighter package.
QC-6 Connectors (lightmonkey.us)

If the female side is going to a manifold you won't need any NPT to scuba adapters at all. If the female side is going to a BOV you will need an adapter one way or another.

SS NPT fittings are good for "one" and pretty much only one attachment to whatever. If you connect and disconnect them more than once or twice they will gall and your fitting is ruined. So don't think you can mix match and change your mind on these 1/4" NPT adapter to QC6 variations. You get one, maybe two, tries.

Do you use Teflon tape or other sealants when connecting Swagelok and NPT adapters to build your own connectors?
There shouldn't be any NPT adapaters. Just buy the correct fittings for the application.
But yes, teflon tape with any NPT connection.

This is what they look like with adapters installed. View attachment 647933
Your last photo seems to show 9/16" M at each end of your constructed connector.
What am I missing in understanding how to set this up without yet another adapter that gets me to 3/8"M?

Your last photo seems to show 9/16" M at each end of your constructed connector.
What am I missing in understanding how to set this up without yet another adapter that gets me to 3/8"M?
An LP hose?

Before LM and Dive Rite (and @Salous) were machining these, the adaptor was necessary. These days, just buy the appropriate fitting and save the weight / tape / etc annoyance. Male nipple on all bottles, female on your MAV or end of the hose coming off your BOV. I would discourage putting either of these fittings directly onto the mouthpiece of your BOV.

Never mind. Brain fart
Depending on the MAV you may also be able to unscrew the bottom port. E.g on the Golem MAV the metal insert is already the appropriate size.

Yeah, exactly. On my JJ MAV, unscrewing the nipple yields a 3/8" recess for a short hose - perfect for the Swagelok. It will mean adding a Swagelok to the hose from my 3l dil bottle, but I guess that was obvious to everyone but me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom